Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm opposed to movements like this.
Being obese can have an adverse effect on your health, and being slightly overweight is still not healthy just because what it's doing to your health is intangible by your human eyes. Being "fat" should not by any means be encouraged.
You shouldn't hate fat people. It makes them worse.
Moronical
Being obese can have an adverse effect on your health, and being slightly overweight is still not healthy just because what it's doing to your health is intangible by your human eyes. Being "fat" should not by any means be encouraged.

Mm, being gay spreads AIDS. Doesn't mean people should hate 'em.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

We're getting of track but I found the BMI Wiki. It says a lot of stuff but mostly that is not supposed to be used to evaluate and ndividual as it is used for averages. The scoring dictates that after a certain number risks of disease and death go up.

So obviously there are fat people who are healthy just like there are thin people who ate sick.
On average though the rate of disease and death increase once you go above a certain weight.
I guess what this means for the FA movement is that since it is just averages there is obviously some room.

I think the issue is we have people who are 200% over the average number and way past wiggle room. While I believe everyone has a right to do as they please with their body. What does this mean for the rest of us?

It's a classic question. If you neighbor drinks all day and you are healthy. Why should you have to pay for his liver transplant?

Is the answer a higher tax bracket for the obese? I don't think so but there are cases of those who abuse their bodies with junk food and don't change habits even after being warned by doctors. Those people suck. Plain and simple. It's unfortunate you see those people backpacking this movement.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

deadroosters
Moronical

lol what? Being gay doesn't spread aids.
What we need to do is move away from focusing on weight and move towards focusing on being fit and body fat percentage. See, you can actually become more healthy and yet gain weight since muscle weighs more than fat. Which is why the BMI isn't good to use. It's true that not all fat people are unhealthy but that is because people have different bone structures and there actually are people who are big boned.

What I hate is when Fat Acceptance people jump on studies that say slightly overweight people live longer than skinny people and say that obesity is okay. That's not how science works. What has been found is that having some body fat, aka being average aka a female size 12 for the average height woman, helps you live longer than having no body fat, aka being a female size 0. That does not mean that people who are size 30 are healthy.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

If like to add the BMI,obesity point as been moved a few time for different countries and population. Whether the set point is 24.9 or 27.1. 34 is still bad.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

Mei tsuki7
What we need to do is move away from focusing on weight and move towards focusing on being fit and body fat percentage. See, you can actually become more healthy and yet gain weight since muscle weighs more than fat. Which is why the BMI isn't good to use. It's true that not all fat people are unhealthy but that is because people have different bone structures and there actually are people who are big boned.

What I hate is when Fat Acceptance people jump on studies that say slightly overweight people live longer than skinny people and say that obesity is okay. That's not how science works. What has been found is that having some body fat, aka being average aka a female size 12 for the average height woman, helps you live longer than having no body fat, aka being a female size 0. That does not mean that people who are size 30 are healthy.
you are totally right. This thread got a little derailed on BMI but that's not really the issue.

Fact is some one who is 5'2 and 320lbs isn't healthy on any scale. The only real counter argue net at that point is mental well being. If they are happy I'm happy but it takes us back to the cost on society.
To be honest, the only people I've met who are active parts of the fat acceptance movement are people who are seriously obese and live a lifestyle that reflects that.

The majority of people who are fat are fat because they eat poorly. Not all people are fat from eating poorly, but most are, and we shouldn't accept the minority as any form of representation of the majority.

I don't support obesity any more than I support drugs or drinking heavily.

And people who complain that not accepting such is harmful, should probably toughen up a bit.

Not accepting something =/= hating on it.

I didn't accept my sister's drug addiction, either. Doesn't mean I hated her.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

The cost of obesity on taxpayers Click here

What I think is wrong is when insurance companies jack up costs.
ProjectLazy
deadroosters
Moronical

a** sex does, my bad. Still, people shouldn't hate just because someone might get hurt.
deadroosters
ProjectLazy
deadroosters
Moronical

a** sex does, my bad. Still, people shouldn't hate just because someone might get hurt.

a**l sex doesn't spread AIDs anymore than any other form of sex. Lack of protection does. However, not using protection is a choice and it would be stupid to not use any given the prevalence of AIDs in the gay community. I've been in said community for about two decades, and I've known a few people with AIDs. They were very careful to not spread it.

Likewise, one can protect one's self against obesity by eating healthy and getting plenty of exercise.
mellifluous glass optics
deadroosters
ProjectLazy
deadroosters
Moronical

a**l sex doesn't spread AIDs anymore than any other form of sex. Lack of protection does. However, not using protection is a choice and it would be stupid to not use any given the prevalence of AIDs in the gay community. I've been in said community for about two decades, and I've known a few people with AIDs. They were very careful to not spread it.

Likewise, one can protect one's self against obesity by eating healthy and getting plenty of exercise.

Should you ******** with somebody who has AIDS 'cause they cost extra or whatever, though? You shouldn't ******** with people with health problems.
deadroosters
mellifluous glass optics
deadroosters
ProjectLazy
deadroosters
Moronical

Should you ******** with somebody who has AIDS 'cause they cost extra or whatever, though? You shouldn't ******** with people with health problems.
I'm not sure what you mean by '******** with' or what relevance that has to the topic. Are you saying fat people are being ******** with here?
mellifluous glass optics
deadroosters
mellifluous glass optics
deadroosters
ProjectLazy

I'm not sure what you mean by '******** with' or what relevance that has to the topic. Are you saying fat people are being ******** with here?

In this case, "******** with" means "refuse to accept".

If you don't accept somebody, you're telling them that part or all of their being is unacceptable. Which would be ******** up, right?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff