Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stuch
Spoot-Breaker
Parties, man.

Which is why...

At 10am? On a Wednesday?

Anyway, I was just pointing out another of your spelling errors.
Spoot-Breaker

Hmm... I'm really not up to task today, huh?
Well, I can say from experience that total social awkwardness can lead some to fear real world interaction. This becomes a vicious cycle of fearing society because of lack of experience in dealing with people, and thus losing the ability to interact because of previous fears. The two seperate issues feed each other. The only "cure" I can think of is, sadly, just going to where people are.
Stuch
Spoot-Breaker

Hmm... I'm really not up to task today, huh?

I'll forgive you if you do a spoiler on Omar later.
Introverts don't have a problem being an introvert; it the extroverts that think there is something wrong with it as if it's a bad thing.
Vosi

Quote:
I don't think being an introvert of any level is any more a social handicap than being a pushy, loud, nosy extrovert. Moreover, introverts often hear what people seem to think is the simple end-all answer/cure to being an introvert, "Just go make friends. Talk to people." If you're an extreme introvert, then that's the whole problem---talking to random people doesn't come easily, so it's not so simple to just 'make friends.'
Introversion isn't "Shyness"; as an introvert I can talk relatively well in small groups but like keeping my distance from larger ones if there is no particular goal in mind.

Shyness is part of it, though. As an introvert, I cannot just up and start a conversion with a group of people I don't know, of any size. I'd personally prefer to hole up in my room or other such place and read or browse the internet or draw. I'm not anti-social, per se (although that tends to depend on the group I'm trying to avoid), but I'm not good with people and therefore would rather keep to myself.

On another note, a big part of introversion is that introverts largely stay in their own head. They're thinkers, which can sometimes translate into just not being a people person, or at least not seeming to be one by others.
I am very selective whom I chose to spend time with. I'm an extrovert but I can understand, peace.
GeorgianPeach
Introverts don't have a problem being an introvert; it the extroverts that think there is something wrong with it as if it's a bad thing.

That depends on the person. Some people are introverts by choice and purposefully isolate themselves from others. Some people aren't introverts by choice. I'm not. It's just my personality. I don't think it's a bad thing, though.
Kuragari1 PhD
How do you personally deal with someone who is an extreme introvert?
Spend time one on one or in a rather small group.

Kuragari1 PhD
If you are one, how do you deal with being one? Some people consider it a social handicap, a negative characteristic---is it?
I deal with it the best I can. It doesn't help I have a myriad of other issues, such as being extremely shy and depressed, but overall I don't think it is a negative thing. Combined with all of my other issues, I would say I have a social handicap, but then that also comes from my upbringing.

Kuragari1 PhD
I don't think being an introvert of any level is any more a social handicap than being a pushy, loud, nosy extrovert. Moreover, introverts often hear what people seem to think is the simple end-all answer/cure to being an introvert, "Just go make friends. Talk to people."
Introversion does not equal shyness, and sadly most the people I've met think it does. There is no real 'cure' for introversion, or at least that is what I think... I don't consider it a problem, then again I'm biased since I'm highly introverted.

Kuragari1 PhD
If you're an extreme introvert, then that's the whole problem---talking to random people doesn't come easily, so it's not so simple to just 'make friends.'
As I said, introvert doesn't mean shyness. My sister, a highly introverted person like myself, can handle large crowds and even conventions, but usually keeps to herself or a small group. She has no problem interacting, even with her other issues.
I, on the other hand, have several other conflicting issues, such as being shy and agoraphobic. Which makes it incrediably difficult for me to so much as speak to someone new.

Kuragari1 PhD
What do you all think?
Introversion is just how some people naturally are.
Kuragari1 PhD

Shyness is part of it, though. As an introvert, I cannot just up and start a conversion with a group of people I don't know, of any size. I'd personally prefer to hole up in my room or other such place and read or browse the internet or draw. I'm not anti-social, per se (although that tends to depend on the group I'm trying to avoid), but I'm not good with people and therefore would rather keep to myself.

On another note, a big part of introversion is that introverts largely stay in their own head. They're thinkers, which can sometimes translate into just not being a people person, or at least not seeming to be one by others.

This is true, however I must remark that shyness is in reference to being in the presence of other persons while Introversion is a continuous cycle that never changes, or rarely does; it is along the lines of nature versus instance if you want to think about it that way. Shy people can overcome shyness because slowly exposure can change how one functions in a social situation however introversion is permanent for most people because it is how they are wired. Shy people can be extroverts and like large groups of people they know, while introverts will still not like large groups of people, even if they know them all, and further the opposite is also true. The two are not mutually exclusive, though they often appear together.
My parents are always pressing me to "get more social stimulus." They tell me that it isn't healthy to prefer being left alone, and that humans are social creatures. They've even gone so far as to say that I'm "sick," because I'd rather stay at home with a good book than go to a party where I can watch my friends get into each others pants.

I wouldn't call myself an introvert, I'd say I'm an ambivert who prefers to be alone. I can do well in groups, and I don't dislike human contact, I just find being alone much more comfortable than being with other people.
I'm an introverted individual. I can force myself into social situations, if I have to. Going to college can be pretty difficult especially when you have instructors that want you to participate in group work. Sometimes I get lonely and consider trying to be social, but then I look at people and think....never mind this.
Nightflight51
My parents are always pressing me to "get more social stimulus." They tell me that it isn't healthy to prefer being left alone, and that humans are social creatures. They've even gone so far as to say that I'm "sick," because I'd rather stay at home with a good book than go to a party where I can watch my friends get into each others pants.

I wouldn't call myself an introvert, I'd say I'm an ambivert who prefers to be alone. I can do well in groups, and I don't dislike human contact, I just find being alone much more comfortable than being with other people.

I understand how you feel. My parents do that to me, too, and called me inhumane once because I don't like having a bunch of friends.

I'm trying not to be, but I feel uncomfortable around people in general. I'm trying to open up, but it's hard. I always feel like I shouldn't belong in the same place as they are because I'm not extroverted, among other things that make me have a rather bizarre personality.
GeorgianPeach

Yeah, it is not a deficit - embrace it because it is a quality of who you are. The world is full of speakers, without the introverts - Who would listen? There is room for everybody to have their function.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff