Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Lunatic

1,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
For me, suicide is a painful topic that I am duty bound to talk about. I know what it is like to be in a deep depression, to the point that you feel like a hollowed-out shell. I know what it is like to want to end your own life. I've made the attempt several times. And I can tell you that is was my pride which almost killed my and ultimately saved me. I once thought of myself as a useless human who should of lived for so long, and for a long time I didn't seek any help. But eventually, it was my family, friends, and my pride of my home state that now keeps me from going over the edge. I can only hope that others will find something in this world that is worth living for.
Hanma Selis
For me, suicide is a painful topic that I am duty bound to talk about. I know what it is like to be in a deep depression, to the point that you feel like a hollowed-out shell. I know what it is like to want to end your own life. I've made the attempt several times. And I can tell you that is was my pride which almost killed my and ultimately saved me. I once thought of myself as a useless human who should of lived for so long, and for a long time I didn't seek any help. But eventually, it was my family, friends, and my pride of my home state that now keeps me from going over the edge. I can only hope that others will find something in this world that is worth living for.
Daaaaaaaaaaw, that's very sweet. >.<

I was a wreck before too. What keeps me going is my partner, and her daughter. I want to start my own family with them. I used to contemplate suicide, but was afraid that if I killed myself, there would be no afterlife. Though, I still get depressed because of my gender dysphoria.

Rindul's Fav

Shady Shapeshifter

23,100 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cool Cat 500
Poena_Dare
Today in class, while the teacher was trying to start up a debate, he casually brings up a news story about a man who committed suicide and then showed us a video of the said suicide victim's mother, who was crying and talking about how she never expected her son to do that and all this heartbreaking emotional things a mother would say after learning of her son's decease. This proceeded to bring up a riveting debate about suicide, whether its a choice or not, whethers it selfish for a person to commit suicide or not, and all these judgemental views, with people using personal connections to the issue suicide, to back up their reasoning and opinions. And I guess people are entitled to their own opinion, so I dont want anyone getting all hurtful and stuff even though it is a serious issue. But I was wondering (if anyone responds to this at all) what your views on suicide are. Follow the rules and just keep DISCUSSING, no arguments.
It's a cowardly thing to do...really :Y and then the living have to clean up the mess said person left behind and pick up the pieces and go through worse than hell for what? All it takes is someone to listen and the willingness to comunicate and it could be so easy to help, but getting bored of life and just not trying? (granted there are different and various reasons for sucide, i'm just focusing on one type)
We shouldn't be thinking about wether it is selfish or not to commit scuicide. If we think like that we can be pretty sure that are missing an important part of compassion. Who cares if it's "cowardly"? What really matters is the fact that somone who contomplaits scuicide is someone who needs a hand! If someone commits scuicide and leaves a greiving family, do you say to the family, "Oh, he/she was very selfish to do this..." No! Because that would only cause the family more pain. Not to mention that calling a dead person a coward gets us nowhere.

Dapper Phantom

Princess Creampie
@ Prince Creampie: You should go back to therapy, dear. You're hallucinating complete delusions now. I never said anything was about me. smile
Dandrogyny
Princess Creampie
@ Prince Creampie: You should go back to therapy, dear. You're hallucinating complete delusions now. I never said anything was about me. smile
I do need to go back; haven't been there is a couple of months. heart
Princess Creampie
Love Muffin88
Yeah, I saw the video clip of Junior Seau's mother balling. Sad stuff. It's hard to say whether killing yourself is a selfish act or not though. You kill yourself-you are dead-can you with good faith, call a dead person selfish? In a way(this isn't necessarily my POV, 100%), the people who try to talk people out of killing themselves are selfish. Why do we stop people from killing themselves?

Doesn't he have an ex-wife and two daughters? I would feel sad if I saw them cry.

i believe that he did but they weren't on the video with his mother
I really don't understand the "suicide is selfish arguments". I have never known a single suicidal person who didn't think of others when it came to them contemplating suicide. Most of the time they think that their death would benefit others. I really can't see an act of desperation as being selfish. Selfish is a word for the living; it is a projection of their own feelings onto the deceased they selfishly wanted to live through whatever hardship led them to that desperation. It is the anger of the living not getting a say in the actions the deceased chose in life.
Poena_Dare
RULES:

I joke, of course. It depends on their motives for suicide, in my opinion. However, I dislike rule two (?) in which states that we are not allowed to show disagreement with another person's post. This is a discussion forum and (technically speaking, I suppose) a debate forum. To say that we are not allowed to post why we disagree with someone is like telling GD to not post picdrops.

Smoker

It's really none of anyone's business if someone wants to kill themself.

Greedy Consumer

Agent Thrax
It's really none of anyone's business if someone wants to kill themself.
argueably except the parents because they put alot fo time and effort into it, its like you buying a kid a car and him trashing it intentionally because he doesnt want to pollute or something like that.

Beloved Lunatic

Tranquil Surrogate
For a Westerner? Yes it is incredibly selfish and a pointless waste. Not only are you throwing away your entire life for a comparatively miniscule and likely temporary issue, you're also ignoring the massive privilege of being born in the First World.

You're not starving. You're not a slave. You've got access to education. Opportunity is abundant.
There are over 29 million slaves in the world. They are stuck in a grim world where they are forced to do manual labor with no breaks, often while starving, and there is no guarantee they will ever live a normal life. But they cling to life on the faint notion of hope. For the most part, they don't give in.

What gives any Westerner the right to kill themselves when any one of these 29 million slaves could only dream of experiencing such a carefree lifestyle? It's disgusting, irrational and ungrateful. Grow the ******** up and learn to appreciate.

Now hang on just a minute. You gotta look at this more like a video game. If you get a game you expect to be challenging only to find half way through that you've been playing on easy mode, the only reasonable thing to do is hit the reset button and play it on hard mode. Suicide is the reset button for us westerners who want a challenge.

Oh, and don't act like the first world is all peaches and cream. The psychological torment people can put outcasts through can be unbearable. You say opportunity is abundant, yet homosexuals are denied the opportunity to marry, a very basic right even a slave might get. You say there is access to education, but some are victims of so much bullying at institutes of education that they can not hope to focus on their studies. You say we are not slaves... well that one's difficult to argue. I will, however, point out that the United States government grows larger every year and imposes more and more limitations on people. Certainly this is not slavery, but I swear if I ever get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt I will fight like it is. Not kidding, nanny state laws, these laws that are made to protect people from themselves, piss me off more than you would believe. Not starving you say? Did you know there are poor parents who sell their food stamps to buy liquor and lottery tickets rather than feed their children? Guess the kid should have taken that opportunity to get a job those child labor laws protect him from.

Beloved Lunatic

I don't see suicide as inherently selfish or cowardly. I don't believe you have to be in any way unbalanced to consider it. It is just one more decision that people make (one last decision for the successful ones). Like any other decision the reasons and logic behind it can be well formed or not.

Invisible Browser

10,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Bob and Others
I don't see suicide as inherently selfish or cowardly. I don't believe you have to be in any way unbalanced to consider it. It is just one more decision that people make (one last decision for the successful ones). Like any other decision the reasons and logic behind it can be well formed or not.

You put it so lightly... depression is a plague it needs to be overcomed with the help of others - the person which chooses to die however selfish or cowardly it might seem to some (although not to me; I don't see a point in judging the dead really) just quits trying and may very well be giving up on future positive experiences that would have led him or her to reconsider.

Fanatical Zealot

Quote:
This proceeded to bring up a riveting debate about suicide

Hey now, I'm not sure that I really had anything to do with it. ninja

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items