Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Sex Symbol

3,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
dequindre_313
Ok, so they're making this bullshit thing in Michigan, where you have to undergo random mandatory drug testing for pot and steriods if you are a school athlete. What do you say? I say hell no. If you would, plz support your argument (you don't have to).

They had this debate when I was in high school (NJ). Luckily, I graduated before it could be put into effect. I didn't use drugs/steroids in high school, and don't now (unless you count the occasional [legal] alcoholic beverage). The fact that the testing is random, and only for athletes, makes it completely unfair.

First of all, it is completely possible to have a positive test without taking drugs. Everybody knows about how poppy seeds can make a person test positive for heroin. But there are other possibilities too. What if a person is friends with people who smoke, but doesn't smoke themselves. If a person can get sick from second-hand tobacco smoke, couldn't it be possible that a person could get a positive test from second-hand pot smoke? If someone goes to a party with no plans of drinking or taking drugs, but half the people at the party smoke up, if this party is taking place in an enclosed area, I'd bet it's completely possible for someone to get the chemicals in their system.

Next, what about the one-time mistakes? It boils down to peer pressure. If someone smokes up once, and never does again, the chemicals are in their bloodstream for an entire month. If the drug test is completely random, there are roughly 22 days out of the school year that a student can test positive. 22/180 isn't the greatest odds.

This also pulls up another bias in random testing. Marijuana stays in the body for a full month. Heroin stays in the bloodstream for a week. Heroin is the more dangerous drug, but who's going to be caught? The person doing marijuana. This is a problem with the test itself, and can be seen in workplace drug testing as well.

Of course, there are social reasons why random testing of athletes is unfair. Athletes and other students who participate in extracurricular activities are LESS likely to use drugs. Instead of testing athletes, if they really wanted to catch drug users, they would be testing the kids who don't participate in anything.

There are only two ways this testing can be made fair. Either every student gets tested, or only those students suspected of drug use should be tested. There are pros and cons to both.

If every student gets tested, the positives show themselves right away. ALL students who use drugs will be caught. If a student knows that he/she is going to be tested, then (assuming that this student possesses common sense), he/she will abstain. If each student had to participate in quarterly drug tests, there wouldn't be time to get the chemicals broken down in the body, and, therefore, the drug use among students would plummet. No one student or group of students would be singled out if everyone had to take the test. However, this is not cost-effective, and is sure to be met with more resistance than any other drug-testing plan.

The other alternative is to test only those suspected of drug use. The signs of drug use are easy to spot, and include red eyes, missing classes, extreme tiredness, change in mood, change in weight. Many of these also apply to treatable conditions, such as depression. If teachers are vigilant, then both drug users and students with social/emotional/mental problems will be able to get help. This is cheaper than testing everyone, and will still pose a threat to those who would use drugs. However, not everyone will be caught, and students will be singled out.

While neither of these solutions is perfect, they are still better than random drug testing of populations of students that are less likely to use drugs to begin with.
Glad they didn't do that at my highschool. Our best lacrosse player was a huge pothead. As was half our football team. Well I guess that destroys the whole "druggies suck at sports anyway" idea.
SuicideKing187
I just thought of something...Cant they test your hair?...Why didnt she get that tested and if she really is negative tell the school and all the workers to f*ck off

They <i>can</i> test your hair; however, from what I understand, that costs more to the school than just a regular piss-test. So...yeah.

ShebaKT
It's illegal unless you're taking part in an optional, school sponsored event. It also must be declared beforehand.

Yeah. Tell that to my school system. I mean, my girlfriend is part of Thespians (the school theatre group), but then again, her involvement in it hasn't been huge. And it's not like steroids are a big problem there...oh, yeah, and they do declare beforehand that they're gonna test you. Maybe a few minutes...
HELL NO !!
It's illegal unless you're taking part in an optional, school sponsored event. It also must be declared beforehand.
stare
I've gone through like 8 suprise ones in elementary school. But they slowed down after that. I havent had one since 7th grade.
Where I go, they drug test us every week, but i go to a rehab/school that's why stare
I just thought of something...Cant they test your hair?...Why didnt she get that tested and if she really is negative tell the school and all the workers to f*ck off
If I had a false positive I wouldnt even go to the drug support I would just say f*ck that and F*CK you
Steroids are bad but pot is just mmmmmm delicious...Not like weed is going to make them stronger or faster then what they already are or shrink there balls so I dont like the testing for weed.....God I wish weed was legal
vaesolidarkness
I do agree that there needs to be some drug testing in schools. I'm not totally against it. However, I am a person that believes that marijuana needs to be legalized (not because I smoke it myself, but because of other opinions that tie into it), and I believe that drug testing shouldn't be as outrageous as it is at my school. The other day my girlfriend was sent to the office to be drug tested, and we all know that in order to be drug tested, one must pee into a cup. Well, she couldn't go. They even gave her two cups of water. Nope. So, they gave her a false positive on her test, and now she has to go see a drug counselor JUST BECAUSE SHE CAN'T PISS ON COMMAND. And I know that she doesn't do any drugs, cause I'm around her nearly 24/7. So...yeah. Drug testing is good when they're looking for steroids in athletes and hard drugs such as heroin and cocaine.

Aww Im sorry. Thats stupid.
Is it anyone's business when they have to pay out of their taxes for your rehabilitation, treatment, living, ... Its a very negative thing as it stops you from getting ahead in life.
I do agree that there needs to be some drug testing in schools. I'm not totally against it. However, I am a person that believes that marijuana needs to be legalized (not because I smoke it myself, but because of other opinions that tie into it), and I believe that drug testing shouldn't be as outrageous as it is at my school. The other day my girlfriend was sent to the office to be drug tested, and we all know that in order to be drug tested, one must pee into a cup. Well, she couldn't go. They even gave her two cups of water. Nope. So, they gave her a false positive on her test, and now she has to go see a drug counselor JUST BECAUSE SHE CAN'T PISS ON COMMAND. And I know that she doesn't do any drugs, cause I'm around her nearly 24/7. So...yeah. Drug testing is good when they're looking for steroids in athletes and hard drugs such as heroin and cocaine.
I say no, we all have rights... and if we smoke weed or do other drugs, it shouldn't be any of their business/problem.
wow, I think its great they're introducng mandatory drug testing. Its awesome that they're taking care of you guys like that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff