Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Lunatic

Jacque De Molay
Equal to men? I really don't understand why anybody on earth would want that .

Power. Money. Conquest. I know, strange goals that humanity never has, right?

Aged Lunatic

funwithforkz
Men took up the job of protecting the women and children, hunting, and warfare because they were more expendable (god that sounds so bad), while the women stayed at home gathering and watching after the children. This is what lead to the traditional roles assigned by society to the genders.

Yet that came with a benefit; namely, it was the men who could ascend to the greatest heights of power. Genghis Khan, Julius Ceasar, Alexander of Macedonia, Hannibal Barca, Tokugawa Ieasyu, all men, but do you really think they were "disposable"?

Quote:
My opinion is that if we want to bring about equality between the genders, as well as everyone else, we have to stop making broad generalizations about the people involved and begin considering them as individuals.

Not a bad direction to take, but good luck convincing the "demographics are destiny" crowd out there, of which Gaia is full of.
GunsmithKitten
funwithforkz
Men took up the job of protecting the women and children, hunting, and warfare because they were more expendable (god that sounds so bad), while the women stayed at home gathering and watching after the children. This is what lead to the traditional roles assigned by society to the genders.

Yet that came with a benefit; namely, it was the men who could ascend to the greatest heights of power. Genghis Khan, Julius Ceasar, Alexander of Macedonia, Hannibal Barca, Tokugawa Ieasyu, all men, but do you really think they were "disposable"?

Quote:
My opinion is that if we want to bring about equality between the genders, as well as everyone else, we have to stop making broad generalizations about the people involved and begin considering them as individuals.

Not a bad direction to take, but good luck convincing the "demographics are destiny" crowd out there, of which Gaia is full of.

It definitely did allow men to get a huge leg up in the world. As I said, not trying to provide a sob story, I was just using it to preface my argument.

I'm probably just an idealist, but it's better than just accepting everything as the way it is.
Don't generalize anyone.

Hilarious Prophet

GunsmithKitten
Jacque De Molay

Men don't really have anything worth while.
GunsmithKitten
Jacque De Molay

Wait a minute... I'm a man. Why do I not have any of these things? Or... where do I get them?

Aged Lunatic

Psionic decimator
GunsmithKitten
Jacque De Molay

Wait a minute... I'm a man. Why do I not have any of these things? Or... where do I get them?

Didn't say you begin with them, just that that's what you're expected to have, and what is considered male values to seek. I am considered to be breaking my "role" to seek such things. You are not.
GunsmithKitten
Psionic decimator
GunsmithKitten
Jacque De Molay

Didn't say you begin with them, just that that's what you're expected to have, and what is considered male values to seek. I am considered to be breaking my "role" to seek such things. You are not.

Yeah, they expected me to have all this, even if I don't want them. Kinda like I was given so much hell as a teenager and in my 20's for not going on some sexual conquest of all women.... when I really just simply didn't want to. It's not that I COULDN'T get laid... I just didn't care. I really wish these type things people are "supposed to have" and "supposed to be" would just go away.

Aged Lunatic

Psionic decimator

Yeah, they expected me to have all this, even if I don't want them

And I don't want to be a baby maker and a maid, yet that's what my role is expected. Doesn't this whole gender role thing suck?

Quote:
. Kinda like I was given so much hell as a teenager and in my 20's for not going on some sexual conquest of all women.... when I really just simply didn't want to. It's not that I COULDN'T get laid... I just didn't care. I really wish these type things people are "supposed to have" and "supposed to be" would just go away.

So do I. But that's our "roles", remember? Our sensible biologically dictated "roles".
GunsmithKitten
Psionic decimator

Yeah, they expected me to have all this, even if I don't want them

And I don't want to be a baby maker and a maid, yet that's what my role is expected. Doesn't this whole gender role thing suck?

Quote:
. Kinda like I was given so much hell as a teenager and in my 20's for not going on some sexual conquest of all women.... when I really just simply didn't want to. It's not that I COULDN'T get laid... I just didn't care. I really wish these type things people are "supposed to have" and "supposed to be" would just go away.

So do I. But that's our "roles", remember? Our sensible biologically dictated "roles".

Yeah, I really don't like the gender roles thing... and the thing is, I'm sure a lot of men hate them just like a lot of women do. I was taught never to cry, and when my grandfather died, I wanted to cry, yet my upbringing never allowed me to do so. I hate what I have been told I have to be like just for being a man. I'm sure there are similar issues with being a woman, though since I've never been a woman, I really wouldn't know first hand. Also, this is one reason I have a female alter ego here on Gaia... trying my best to see how the other half lives as best as I can (and I now have a folder full of p***s pictures I have been sent). And sorry, didn't see your first response

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games