Welcome to Gaia! ::

x_DivineDesire_x
Jessi Danger
x_DivineDesire_x
The20
x_DivineDesire_x
We Are Organisms
dont generalize all men lol.

That is the thing about feminism...they don't want to generalize all men either. Men have to play a certain role that can make them feel guilt or stressed with so much power they have. They are required to be strong, the bread winner, macho man, intelligent, capable...so many things.

Women are underestimated in their capabilities. Many girls are forced to have so many images of what they should look like...similar to men.

Both genders can suffer from their roles in society...but both genders experience different expectations...same stress level.
They don't? Every time a person calling themselves feminist talks about men i hear "male privilege" here, "rapist" there, "sexism" everywhere ...
It's always the same ******** thing.

Edit: at least the "male privilege" is usually aimed at everyone, though some go out of their way to explain that not all men are rapists or sexist.

I didn't say they were all. I think feminists who point fingers and blame everything on men have a huge misunderstanding.

Alright, yes not every self described feminist see's everyone with a p***s as a rape machine/mobile oppression device, however a lot of feminists who have power seem to be closer to that line of thinking then not having that line of thinking.

Perhaps you don't subscribe to that belief, but the ones that subscribe to some form of it hold professorships, run activist organizations, lobby congress, run NGO's, inform policy decisions, help craft laws.....

Sure YOU don't buy into it, but may I submit for your consideration the idea that YOUR not a feminist and they are? If there is no common set of beliefs then honestly feminism is a meaningless word.

I believe I am considered a feminist. I don't think I should say I "am" feminist however.

This are question I think best helped me understand if I could be a "feminist".

Do you think that in some way our society is a patriarchy?
Do you believe existentialism can explain why we live in a patriarchy society? why?

I don't think feminists is a meaningless word. It is a misunderstood one.

For example... a lot of words/things don't have a common set of beliefs like normal/polite/awkward etc

Its like where infinity amount of numbers are between two whole numbers.

I think by believing in those two things mainly, you are fair game to be lumped in with the any other feminist.

After all it is those beliefs and the things done in the name of those beliefs that earns feminism its terrible reputation. Most of the criticism feminism gets is the seeming double standard and self serving nature of a movement that claims to be for equality but universally will act in only one genders interest and work to ensure the best interests of that gender, even at the cost of equality, sometimes actively creating inequality simply to ensure my genders best interests are served.

I would say all feminists who hold those beliefs are fair game, even if you reject some policies, it seems more like your deluding yourself and ignoring the logical conclusions of said beliefs.

Words can have many meanings, but Feminism, is a belief. It's an -ism. For example I can criticize Conservat-ism or Liberal-ism, because I can be fairly certain of what I am able to talk about. Only Feminists seem to try to claim they are such a broad church that you literally can never criticize or critical analyze feminists in any meaningful way.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
Jessi Danger

I think by believing in those two things mainly, you are fair game to be lumped in with the any other feminist.

After all it is those beliefs and the things done in the name of those beliefs that earns feminism its terrible reputation. Most of the criticism feminism gets is the seeming double standard and self serving nature of a movement that claims to be for equality but universally will act in only one genders interest and work to ensure the best interests of that gender, even at the cost of equality, sometimes actively creating inequality simply to ensure my genders best interests are served.

I would say all feminists who hold those beliefs are fair game, even if you reject some policies, it seems more like your deluding yourself and ignoring the logical conclusions of said beliefs.

Words can have many meanings, but Feminism, is a belief. It's an -ism. For example I can criticize Conservat-ism or Liberal-ism, because I can be fairly certain of what I am able to talk about. Only Feminists seem to try to claim they are such a broad church that you literally can never criticize or critical analyze feminists in any meaningful way.

So you are saying I cannot choose few or very specific things from femin-ism? Every single single feminist needs to have every single belief?

Feminism changes over time of course. If you are a women I hope you like your voting rights and all that good stuff.

I am not saying "support women" and "men are stupid/whatever". What you said about the actions done for feminism/the outspoken crazed leaders are one of the problems. Feminism isn't some huge problem...but it is still there. Also I believe in the conflict theory...therefore I believe always one gender will be beneath the other and there will be no such thing as a equilibrium. However why why are women are so timid as to ask for a pay raise still?
x_DivineDesire_x
Jessi Danger

So you are saying I cannot choose few or very specific things from femin-ism? Every single single feminist needs to have every single belief?

Feminism changes over time of course. If you are a women I hope you like your voting rights and all that good stuff.

I am not saying "support women" and "men are stupid/whatever". What you said about the actions done for feminism/the outspoken crazed leaders are one of the problems. Feminism isn't some huge problem...but it is still there. Also I believe in the conflict theory...therefore I believe always one gender will be beneath the other and there will be no such thing as a equilibrium. However why why are women are so timid as to ask for a pay raise still?

Well let me put it this way, I can't cease eating bacon and then on that alone declare myself an adherent of Judaism.

My ability to vote isn't contingent on having undying fealty to Gloria Stienem, or NOW, in fact none of them had anything to do with my ability to vote.

So let me ask you, if equality is impossible, are you therefor not for equality?

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
Jessi Danger
x_DivineDesire_x
Jessi Danger

Well let me put it this way, I can't cease eating bacon and then on that alone declare myself an adherent of Judaism.

My ability to vote isn't contingent on having undying fealty to Gloria Stienem, or NOW, in fact none of them had anything to do with my ability to vote.

So let me ask you, if equality is impossible, are you therefor not for equality?

Judaism is related to a belief in a deity...feminism is more of equality and civil rights...two different things.

I don't know who that person is.

You basically said equality was impossible yourself.

I am for equality. Can't we at least get close to it? Or is there some problem you believe will happen?

Dapper Dabbler

7,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
all feminists are pro-women
and therefor anti-men
and therefor misandry

source: feminism
x_DivineDesire_x
Jessi Danger
x_DivineDesire_x
Jessi Danger

Judaism is related to a belief in a deity...feminism is more of equality and civil rights...two different things.

I am for equality. Can't we at least get close to it? Or is there some problem you believe will happen?

You have also said equality is impossible. Thus you can't reasonably say your for it. If the feminism you believe in can't push for equality why are you claiming it does? Or even should when you previously admitted it is a lie.

I didn't say equality was impossible. I said the movement that claims equality is actually not practicing what it claims to preach.
I'm a feminist and a gender egalitarian. Can someone please explain to me why you think feminists are anti-men? I'm sure there is a rather tiny percentage of feminists who actually want men to be below women in the social hierarchy, but they are not mainstream feminists, and honestly, I don't even hear much about them.

Do people think that men and women can never be equal? If so, why not? Seriously, the responses in this thread are confusing the crap out of me, and I have a notion that many of you don't even know what feminism is.

Buggy Mage

Queen of Mercury
Fire 0ak
chainmailleman
Fire 0ak
chainmailleman
Wait a minute, my thread get's yanked after I actually cited an outside source and provided it with a link and this bullshit is still up after 2 pages? I think the Mods here are Feminazis.

Sorry to hear that. : / How do you feel about the OP? I'm curious what you have to say about it.

It's easy to generalize when feminism has a general goal.

I guess it covers a lot of ground. I would have to agree but I can understand some of the frustration that might come from people assuming a person has a specific ideology, when in reality, that is only a fraction of a person's viewpoint.
Also, i like your sig quote, mind if i add you to my friendlist? smile

If you'd actually seen his thread (unless you are a misogynist who thinks all women are filthy whores) you wouldn't be so complimentary towards the misogynist.
I'm Sorry. XD I'm pretty new to this forum so I have no idea what went on before my coming here. I added him because he had an interesting quote in his signature. If you read my posts I have been pretty fair on the thread's topic. I have no problem with feminists that stay true to the principle of equality.

Enduring Conversationalist

6,750 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Another stereotype is that all feminists are female, or that they have to be. I'm a male and I'm about as feminist as you can get cool

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Queen of Mercury
chainmailleman
Fire 0ak
chainmailleman
Fire 0ak
chainmailleman
Wait a minute, my thread get's yanked after I actually cited an outside source and provided it with a link and this bullshit is still up after 2 pages? I think the Mods here are Feminazis.

Sorry to hear that. : / How do you feel about the OP? I'm curious what you have to say about it.

I guess it covers a lot of ground. I would have to agree but I can understand some of the frustration that might come from people assuming a person has a specific ideology, when in reality, that is only a fraction of a person's viewpoint.

By all means.

I am misogynistic and do not like feminists at all, however I used to think the opposite. Now you know my view points, logically speaking, it's irrational to attack someone's character over a valid argument. For example if I were to say "All women are sluts", that is a generalization. If I were to say "You are a slut", that is an attack on the character. I love using sly words in major arguments to really set people off.

Nice, you've just admitted to deliberately violating the ToS, which isn't very bright.

LOL How did I deliberately violate ToS? Please bold where I attacked someone personally.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Fire 0ak
Queen of Mercury
Fire 0ak
chainmailleman
Fire 0ak
chainmailleman

If you'd actually seen his thread (unless you are a misogynist who thinks all women are filthy whores) you wouldn't be so complimentary towards the misogynist.
I'm Sorry. XD I'm pretty new to this forum so I have no idea what went on before my coming here. I added him because he had an interesting quote in his signature. If you read my posts I have been pretty fair on the thread's topic. I have no problem with feminists that stay true to the principle of equality.

She's just fuming because what I said was so true it struck a nerve.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Jacque De Molay
Fire 0ak
chainmailleman
Fire 0ak
chainmailleman

By all means.

I am misogynistic and do not like feminists at all, however I used to think the opposite. Now you know my view points, logically speaking, it's irrational to attack someone's character over a valid argument. For example if I were to say "All women are sluts", that is a generalization. If I were to say "You are a slut", that is an attack on the character. I love using sly words in major arguments to really set people off.
I can be sly but it rarely helps me in arguments around here. I'm mostly interested in understanding or convincing. But I know when it's a losing struggle, or stalemate. If I've learned to argue better. It's a victory of sorts. I really think men and women need to come to a mutual and honest respect though before things can really improve toward true equality.

The problems between men and women is held in one word in your post.

Equality.

I can go for days on this subject and piss everyone off, but I'm stoned, I want a cigarette, and my body is sore from moving heavy furniture all weekend....and I'd rather be your friend on a good sight than a bad one.
Fair enough, maybe to be continued? Take care man. smile
I don't understand why feminists I've come across use contrived notions of masculinity as their measuring stick of self-worth. Wanting to be equal to men is a waste of time because men aren't all that great so there is no need to feel inferior.

Pros and Cons to both sexes. I prefer being a man. The advantages are just too great compared to the disadvantages.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Jessi Danger
x_DivineDesire_x
Jessi Danger
x_DivineDesire_x
Jessi Danger

You have also said equality is impossible. Thus you can't reasonably say your for it. If the feminism you believe in can't push for equality why are you claiming it does? Or even should when you previously admitted it is a lie.

I didn't say equality was impossible. I said the movement that claims equality is actually not practicing what it claims to preach.

Because Feminism was never about equality. Ever. It's about power. Who has control.
chainmailleman
Jessi Danger
x_DivineDesire_x
Jessi Danger
x_DivineDesire_x
Jessi Danger

Because Feminism was never about equality. Ever. It's about power. Who has control.

Of course it's about power. Men have more power than women. Feminists want women to have equal power. We want society to be structured in a way that doesn't favor one gender over another. If you think it's about one gender controlling the other, you don't understand what feminism is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff