Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
There are a lot of myths about feminism...and I have only one on my mind right now. I admit that I could have believed in this myth; however, after reading more into it for a class ...

The first myth I want to bring to light is...

Quote:
Myth:
All feminists are pro-abortion.

Wrong. Not all feminists are pro-abortion. It depends on their moral beliefs.

I saw a topic that basically generalized all feminists to be pro-abortion.

I am sure there are many other things people assume a feminist to be. I cannot say I am annoyed because that would make me feel like I was being unfair... since I didn't know this before.

Anyways...I just used wiki to give you the definition of feminism.

Feminism-is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.

Notice the word here they used is defining?
Personally I believe they don't have to define it...as defining it may lead to problems...like there is now with a huge amount of people misunderstand feminism.

Greedy Consumer

dont generalize all men lol.

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
You just generalized all atheists as being equivalent to Hitler in another thread. If you don't want to be thrown into a generalization, try not doing it yourself.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
So what is this, like a news bulletin we should all read? What are we supposed to discuss exactly, that (shocker) not all people in a movement have the same beliefs?
Is anyone pro-abortion?

Many believe that abortions should be legal, but that's not the same as liking it.

Now, while I'm sure there are many women who think that we should return to the days where women were brood-mares and abortions happened in back-alleys with coat hangers, it's rather difficult to call them feminists.

It's rather like a "feminist" who doesn't think that women should be able to vote.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
We Are Organisms

That is the thing about feminism...they don't want to generalize all men either. Men have to play a certain role that can make them feel guilt or stressed with so much power they have. They are required to be strong, the bread winner, macho man, intelligent, capable...so many things.

Women are underestimated in their capabilities. Many girls are forced to have so many images of what they should look like...similar to men.

Both genders can suffer from their roles in society...but both genders experience different expectations...same stress level.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
frozen_water
So what is this, like a news bulletin we should all read? What are we supposed to discuss exactly, that (shocker) not all people in a movement have the same beliefs?

I just don't want people to have this misunderstand of feminists.

I'm not saying it is a "shocker".

Greedy Consumer

x_DivineDesire_x
We Are Organisms

That is the thing about feminism...they don't want to generalize all men either. Men have to play a certain role that can make them feel guilt or stressed with so much power they have. They are required to be strong, the bread winner, macho man, intelligent, capable...so many things.

Women are underestimated in their capabilities. Many girls are forced to have so many images of what they should look like...similar to men.

Both genders can suffer from their roles in society...but both genders experience different expectations...same stress level.
If the stress level is the same and is not a generalization, wouldnt it be true that everyone would then have stress based on genetic rather than environmental markers? Which is actually not true lol.
But yeah thats just a technicality. I guess. But I dont veiw this topic as extended because its more of a lecture, which was why I had my bland repetitive possibly ironic statement at the ready.
I don't generalise feminists. Well, actually I do make one generalisation in so far as the movement is about equality for women. Most people try to argue that feminism is about equality for all sexes and genders. Saying that it engulfs all causes. I've never seen this to be true, and by the very definition it's not

On the same hand, I'd like people not to generalise MRA's. Not all of us are grumpy old bastards who want the right to hit women and s**t. Most MRA's I've talked to are older, and bitter, but most seem to be keener on pointing out the flaws in laws and how they favour women unfairly. And the MRA's I've talked to under the age of 25 don't even have that bitterness, and only want to make the law fair and equal, not favoring either gender or sex

Greedy Consumer

frozen_water
We agree on something withotu argueing first for once! *dances, celebrates, champagnes, caviars, lols*

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
IronySandwich
Is anyone pro-abortion?

Many believe that abortions should be legal, but that's not the same as liking it.

Now, while I'm sure there are many women who think that we should return to the days where women were brood-mares and abortions happened in back-alleys with coat hangers, it's rather difficult to call them feminists.

It's rather like a "feminist" who doesn't think that women should be able to vote.

A feminist who believes in pro-life and voting rights is entirely different from women who are pro-abortion/pro-choice and believe in voting rights.

Comparing voting rights to abortion is like comparing morals to civil rights.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
We Are Organisms
x_DivineDesire_x
We Are Organisms

If the stress level is the same and is not a generalization, wouldnt it be true that everyone would then have stress based on genetic rather than environmental markers? Which is actually not true lol.
But yeah thats just a technicality. I guess. But I dont veiw this topic as extended because its more of a lecture, which was why I had my bland repetitive possibly ironic statement at the ready.

Think about it. Women have surgery for cosmetic reasons...they grow up being attacked by the media that they aren't pretty enough or whatever. Then they are looked down on by society for giving up their virginity...called "whores" "sluts" while men are call "players"? Also if they ever got pregnant they are attack by people for whatever reason they choose/don't choose.

As you know...men have always been the person of the family to bring money-food etc.

Greedy Consumer

x_DivineDesire_x
We Are Organisms
x_DivineDesire_x
We Are Organisms

Think about it. Women have surgery for cosmetic reasons...they grow up being attacked by the media that they aren't pretty enough or whatever. Then they are looked down on by society for giving up their virginity...called "whores" "sluts" while men are call "players"? Also if they ever got pregnant they are attack by people for whatever reason they choose/don't choose.

As you know...men have always been the person of the family to bring money-food etc.
Well, blame the media? Pimp gangasta rapers n hoes music videoes.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
We Are Organisms
x_DivineDesire_x
We Are Organisms
x_DivineDesire_x
We Are Organisms

Alright what ever you want to say ... "society" "media" "families" etc. I was using media as a example. It is not all the media's fault of course.

Greedy Consumer

x_DivineDesire_x
We Are Organisms
x_DivineDesire_x
We Are Organisms
x_DivineDesire_x
We Are Organisms

Alright what ever you want to say ... "society" "media" "families" etc. I was using media as a example. It is not all the media's fault of course.
Well whoever's fault is probably not relevant. Ok so now that we buy your idea of feminism, what now?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff