Welcome to Gaia! ::

Best Character to have as a friend during a ZA?

Daryl Dixon 0.18181818181818 18.2% [ 4 ]
Glenn Rhee 0.045454545454545 4.5% [ 1 ]
Ash (Evil Dead) 0.18181818181818 18.2% [ 4 ]
Shaun (of the Dead) 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Riddick 0.13636363636364 13.6% [ 3 ]
Ellen Ripley 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Nicholas Angel (Hot Fuzz) 0.18181818181818 18.2% [ 4 ]
Joel (the last of us) 0.090909090909091 9.1% [ 2 ]
Lee Everet (Walking Dead The Game) 0.090909090909091 9.1% [ 2 ]
Bruce Campbell (as himself) 0.090909090909091 9.1% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 22 ]
1 2 3 >

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Okay, so I actually have the ability to take time off from my busy schedule of being slammed up the butt with endless Engineering Homework, so I figured I might ask you: Do you want a Zombie Apocalypse? If so, Why? And if not, Why Not?

Personally, I want a Walking Dead-style Zombie Apocalypse.

The only reason I'd want a ZA is because of the freedom. While it's true that there would be two MAJOR cons (Zombies and Marauding, Murderous, insane-as-all-hell Humans), the fact of the matter is, all of the current problems would be over. There would be no government, no two-faced, lying politicians (except for "Governor" types), no need to worry about bills or school or mortgages or unfair taxes. All social problems would be gone; no more worrying about whether or not marijuana should be legalized, no more arguing over things like gay marriage, abortion, women's or men's rights. Everyone would be free do do as they pleased, with no one to answer to but themselves, and those they had personally wronged. It would be pure, lawless, unbridled, unchecked, no-strings-attached freedom, and ironically, the very people who constantly asked for that very kind of freedom would find themselves wishing it was not so.

Yes, it would be difficult to survive without modern comforts, and hordes of the dead tirelessly searching for you. But in the end, if you had learned to survive, you could go where you pleased, do as you pleased, eat whatever you wanted, take whatever you wanted, live wherever you wanted, and no one could say anything about it. Friendships would be real, face-to-face affairs, and they would be strong and true bonds, built on the daily struggles for survival and saving each other's lives, knowing each other's deepest, darkest thoughts and fears and moving forward with that knowledge instead of abandoning the people you claimed to care about.

What about you?

Tipsy Smoker

No. I don't think dead people and pestilence is fun or funny.

Floppy Member

What I really want is for people to be capable of more rational thought than it takes to keep bringing up something so obviously fictional as a zombie apocalypse every few days.
No, because more than half these people preparing for one would die in the first 10 ******** minutes. I, for one, would immediately kill myself to avoid watching the people I love turn into monsters.

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Well, it beats out some other doomsdays I could think of (like possible Ebola as a pandemic). I'd prefer one that's a Walking Dead style one too (just 28 Weeks Later isn't that appealing)

However, if it actually did happen I think it would be like out of 28 Weeks Later. Personally, I'd want a ventriloquist on my team (to distract zombies), among other people. I'd probably survive this type of doomsday, due to my being smart. I'd organize a team as soon as I could.

Zealot

Zombies are probably the most overused and boring idea used in horror and apocalyptic fiction today.

I'd prefer the dinosaurs to rise again, give us a fun challenge.

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Dieu des hommes
Zombies are probably the most overused and boring idea used in horror and apocalyptic fiction today.

I'd prefer the dinosaurs to rise again, give us a fun challenge.

We would immediately, IMMEDIATELY, hunt them right back into extinction amidst the loud protests of PETA, Greenpeace, etc.

Zealot

toasega
We would immediately, IMMEDIATELY, hunt them right back into extinction amidst the loud protests of PETA, Greenpeace, etc.
At least we would have fun rather than having to deal with the most boring entities imagined in the history of human existence.
I don't think that would be great as a parent. Nor am I prepared for any real danger. Which means that I would seek out the people that are already ready for that day. Which you would be surprised how many there are..... waiting for something to happen.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
toasega
Okay, so I actually have the ability to take time off from my busy schedule of being slammed up the butt with endless Engineering Homework, so I figured I might ask you: Do you want a Zombie Apocalypse?

******** no.
Quote:
And if not, Why Not?

Because zombies eat meat. I'm made of meat, and I have no desire to be eaten.
Quote:

Ugh, those are the worst. Everyone starts acting like they're living in a damn soap opera. Everyone who's not ******** three people at once spends most of their time talking about who's ******** who, until they get killed off for drama.
Quote:

all of the current problems would be over.

That was a premise behind the anime Paranoia Agent. Everyone wanted an easy way out of their life's problems, and, by god, getting smacked upside the head by a baseball bat and going to the hospital for a few months solves all your problems for a while.
Quote:
There would be no government, no two-faced, lying politicians (except for "Governor" types),

Y'know, Rick was a two faced liar of a politician.
It's a little interesting how machiavellian all the leaders are in the Walking Dead.
Quote:
All social problems would be gone;

Actually, there are still social problems. It's just now, if someone doesn't like some part of who you are, they're allowed to just kill you.
Quote:
Everyone would be free do do as they pleased, with no one to answer to but themselves, and those they had personally wronged.

Then wouldn't you like it better if it were a "road warrior" apocalypse, rather than a zombie one?
Quote:

Yes, it would be difficult to survive without modern comforts, and hordes of the dead tirelessly searching for you.

Try impossible.
I once got an infected toe, when I was younger. Came from a blister I got while walking through the snow.
Were it not for antibiotics, it could've spread to my bloodstream, and killed me.

So yeah. Science keeps you alive beyond 30.
Quote:
Friendships would be real, face-to-face affairs, and they would be strong and true bonds

Wow.
As a brony, I kinda feel bad for you now.
You CAN have friends, REAL ones. You only have to make 'em.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Exoth XIII
toasega
Okay, so I actually have the ability to take time off from my busy schedule of being slammed up the butt with endless Engineering Homework, so I figured I might ask you: Do you want a Zombie Apocalypse?

******** no.
Quote:
And if not, Why Not?

Because zombies eat meat. I'm made of meat, and I have no desire to be eaten.
Quote:

Ugh, those are the worst. Everyone starts acting like they're living in a damn soap opera. Everyone who's not ******** three people at once spends most of their time talking about who's ******** who, until they get killed off for drama.
Quote:

all of the current problems would be over.

That was a premise behind the anime Paranoia Agent. Everyone wanted an easy way out of their life's problems, and, by god, getting smacked upside the head by a baseball bat and going to the hospital for a few months solves all your problems for a while.
Quote:
There would be no government, no two-faced, lying politicians (except for "Governor" types),

Y'know, Rick was a two faced liar of a politician.
It's a little interesting how machiavellian all the leaders are in the Walking Dead.
Quote:
All social problems would be gone;

Actually, there are still social problems. It's just now, if someone doesn't like some part of who you are, they're allowed to just kill you.
Quote:
Everyone would be free do do as they pleased, with no one to answer to but themselves, and those they had personally wronged.

Then wouldn't you like it better if it were a "road warrior" apocalypse, rather than a zombie one?
Quote:

Yes, it would be difficult to survive without modern comforts, and hordes of the dead tirelessly searching for you.

Try impossible.
I once got an infected toe, when I was younger. Came from a blister I got while walking through the snow.
Were it not for antibiotics, it could've spread to my bloodstream, and killed me.

So yeah. Science keeps you alive beyond 30.
Quote:
Friendships would be real, face-to-face affairs, and they would be strong and true bonds

Wow.
As a brony, I kinda feel bad for you now.
You CAN have friends, REAL ones. You only have to make 'em.

Is My Little Pony supposed to be some sort of new version of the Powerpuff Girls? Because if so, that's really sad.

Also, it's kinda almost impossible to make long-lasting and meaningful relationships with anyone these days, unless you literally were inseparable friends from childhood and somehow remained in the same life paths well into your adult years, which is also pretty impossible. Nice sentiment, works well in "Bromance" movies, but is a freaking Christmas Miracle to see in real life.

Floppy Member

Dieu des hommes
toasega
At least we would have fun rather than having to deal with the most boring entities imagined in the history of human existence.

This, so much. Play a video game if you want zombies, or go out in the woods for a few weeks and fight the bears for food with sticks, if you're really convinced you'll be such a hero. Come out and actually admit to being an anarchist, then call a therapist if you really have a deep-seated desire to persistently talk about something so overdone and dumb as the utterly unrealistic possibility of zombies.

Fanatical Zealot

Uh... no. First world problems are not as bad as being eaten alive, having billions die, and the fall out of war and all that. The idea that there'd be no law is rather silly; you'd have survivor groups who'd try to establish their own law and groups, you'd have police and military who survived, due to their natural affinity for surviving something like this, who would have created their own sense of order. Most the politicians would all have their secret bunkers to go hide in, and they'd pop out and reclaim the world as soon as the situation died down, with far more resources and weapons than you could ever hope to get. Without the internet, getting the knowledge needed to survive isn't just something you'd pull out of nowhere, so you wouldn't have access to the same educational resources you do now.

Furthermore, you can't grow marijuana anymore during the apocalypse. You'd need seeds, knowledge of how to grow it, and a need to invest your time and energy into growing actual crops and food. When people spent 8 hours a day getting water, and 8 hours a day getting food, they had no freedoms, because all their efforts had to go into surviving, building shelters, fending off animals and other people. You have no freedom, nature forces you to work, other people and animals force you to be paranoid and constantly on your guard, you don't get down time, you don't get to rest. As soon as you do, that's a moment you're vulnerable, and likely to be attacked. You can't afford to be high and unproductive 6 hours out of the day, you can't afford the problems it will cause to your lungs; you have to always be on your game. In fact, you can't even afford to be alone ,because you'd depend on others to survive, or you would get taken out real quickly by people in larger groups.

That's even assuming you would survive, which is very unlikely, considering that any kind of zombie Apocalypse would probably result in 99% of the population getting infected regardless of what they do; that 1% is just lucky. Then it assumes you have not only the survival skills and tools, I.E. resources, but are also lucky enough to be in the right position to use them.

It assumes that other people haven't already stripped the countryside bare of all the food and nutrients, wiped out all the available game and fish, chopped down all the trees for firewood, and accidentally caused forest fires or overhunted and overpicked crops which magnify the losses. Seriously, out of the 100's of thousands of serious campers every year, there's a few major forest fires every year; imagine millions of people, not on the weekends, but every day of the year out there needing fires to cook, boil water, and generally survive. You'd have forest fires like nobodies business that would destroy your already dwindling resources.

Imagine what relativity unaffected country's would do, like North Korea, shut off from the rest of the world, and how they would invade and try to take things over. It wouldn't in any way be fun, free, or easy.

Fanatical Zealot

toasega

Is My Little Pony supposed to be some sort of new version of the Powerpuff Girls? Because if so, that's really sad.

Also, it's kinda almost impossible to make long-lasting and meaningful relationships with anyone these days, unless you literally were inseparable friends from childhood and somehow remained in the same life paths well into your adult years, which is also pretty impossible. Nice sentiment, works well in "Bromance" movies, but is a freaking Christmas Miracle to see in real life.

I have dozens of friends bro. It's not that hard, man. You just got to be willing to let the magic of friendship into your heat!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff