Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that? What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things? Who takes pleasure out of that? AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

For ******** sake...
Do you understand Australians and their hunting? xxx

Hunting is perfectly normal and has been done by humans and our ancestors for millions of years.

It's not nearly as prevalent. There are people who do it, but it's not part of austrlian culture

And hunting for food is one thing, but if people will read my posts, hunting for sport and fun is barbaric and psychopathic. Anyone who takes joy from the death of an animal is ******** up

Magical Pumpkin

18,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that? What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things? Who takes pleasure out of that? AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

For ******** sake...

Hunting is perfectly normal and has been done by humans and our ancestors for millions of years.

It's not nearly as prevalent. There are people who do it, but it's not part of austrlian culture

And hunting for food is one thing, but if people will read my posts, hunting for sport and fun is barbaric and psychopathic. Anyone who takes joy from the death of an animal is ******** up
Not part of your culture? LOL. Then why were so many game species introduced? You wouldn't have your rabbit problem if the settlers hadn't wanted to hunt. Were water buffalo introduced solely for the purpose of making mozzarella from their milk? Why bring in foxes? There is a long list of animals hunted in your country. I guess you don't count the Aborigines and their hunting as being part of Australian culture?

I agree that hunting should be done mainly for the purpose of putting food on the table.
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x

For ******** sake...

Not part of your culture? LOL. Then why were so many game species introduced? You wouldn't have your rabbit problem if the settlers hadn't wanted to hunt. Were water buffalo introduced solely for the purpose of making mozzarella from their milk? Why bring in foxes? There is a long list of animals hunted in your country. I guess you don't count the Aborigines and their hunting as being part of Australian culture?

I agree that hunting should be done mainly for the purpose of putting food on the table.

Rabbit and Water Buffalo were brought over for food for the colonies. Ditto with Rabbits. Yes, foxes were brought over for hunting. In the 1800's. Yeah, some animals were hunted at the start, but like I said, it's not part of our culture to just go and hunt for sport

Seriously, has no one read my posts? Aborigines hunted for food, not for fun. I don't understand why people keep thinking I'm against hunting for food, when all I keep on saying, is that it takes a sick twisted person to hunt for sport

Magical Pumpkin

18,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x

For ******** sake...

Rabbit and Water Buffalo were brought over for food for the colonies. Ditto with Rabbits. Yes, foxes were brought over for hunting. In the 1800's. Yeah, some animals were hunted at the start, but like I said, it's not part of our culture to just go and hunt for sport

Seriously, has no one read my posts? Aborigines hunted for food, not for fun. I don't understand why people keep thinking I'm against hunting for food, when all I keep on saying, is that it takes a sick twisted person to hunt for sport
Rabbits were brought over for both food and hunting. Why the hell introduce water buffalo at all? They are extremely dangerous animals and cows are much safer to raise for meat and milk. Why are there so many companies in Australia offering hunting safaris? Hunting, for sport and for food, has always been a part of Australian culture. You seem oblivious to so much of what goes in in your own country. In another thread, you even claimed that guns were not allowed there and that there were no gun deaths. You never responded when I showed that you were wrong. Seriously, stop bitching about what goes on in America and b***h about the same s**t that goes on where you are.

Magical Pumpkin

18,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
It is quite uplifting to learn of so many American hunters who donate their kills to food banks to feed the homeless and other hungry people. xxx
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x

For ******** sake...

Rabbits were brought over for both food and hunting. Why the hell introduce water buffalo at all? They are extremely dangerous animals and cows are much safer to raise for meat and milk. Why are there so many companies in Australia offering hunting safaris? Hunting, for sport and for food, has always been a part of Australian culture. You seem oblivious to so much of what goes in in your own country. In another thread, you even claimed that guns were not allowed there and that there were no gun deaths. You never responded when I showed that you were wrong. Seriously, stop bitching about what goes on in America and b***h about the same s**t that goes on where you are.

I didn't respond because unlike what seems like the majority of ED, I realised I was wrong stopped arguing. I'm not saying hunting doesn't happen here, it does and it shouldn't. What I'm saying is it's not ingrained in our culture. In America, in some places it's even mandatory for students to take hunter safety classes. When you think of Americans, one of the images that comes up is that of hunting. Try to tell me that hunting for sport isn't a large part of your culture

It happens here. But it's not part of our culture. It's not one of our stereotypes
Needing hunters is probably different from people taking up the hobby or sport of hunting things.

Magical Pumpkin

18,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x

I didn't respond because unlike what seems like the majority of ED, I realised I was wrong stopped arguing. I'm not saying hunting doesn't happen here, it does and it shouldn't. What I'm saying is it's not ingrained in our culture. In America, in some places it's even mandatory for students to take hunter safety classes. When you think of Americans, one of the images that comes up is that of hunting. Try to tell me that hunting for sport isn't a large part of your culture

It happens here. But it's not part of our culture. It's not one of our stereotypes
The only times I've heard of mandatory hunter safety courses are for people attempting to get hunting licenses, usually for the first time in a state. I think they are a good thing, don't you? Can you please show me where in the US students are required to take them as part of a basic school curriculum?

I've known a lot of hunters, including my dad and his friends. Not a single one hunted purely for sport. Maybe that is how you think of Americans, but you seem to hold a number of misguided and sometimes blatantly incorrect views regarding us. The stereotype held of Aussies is that you are all a bunch of drunks and gasoline huffers who live off of BBQs and Vegemite, fight constantly, kill crocs for fun, acquire cancerous tans that age you terribly, and that you are all descendants of prisoners. Now, I know that to be mostly false. Why do you believe that the stereotype you have of Americans is not similarly false?
Ratttking
The only times I've heard of mandatory hunter safety courses are for people attempting to get hunting licenses, usually for the first time in a state. I think they are a good thing, don't you? Can you please show me where in the US students are required to take them as part of a basic school curriculum?

I've known a lot of hunters, including my dad and his friends. Not a single one hunted purely for sport. Maybe that is how you think of Americans, but you seem to hold a number of misguided and sometimes blatantly incorrect views regarding us. The stereotype held of Aussies is that you are all a bunch of drunks and gasoline huffers who live off of BBQs and Vegemite, fight constantly, kill crocs for fun, acquire cancerous tans that age you terribly, and that you are all descendants of prisoners. Now, I know that to be mostly false. Why do you believe that the stereotype you have of Americans is not similarly false?

Huh. That's an interesting stereotype. Haven't heard of that one. The information I've gathered on hunting being part of your culture comes from my girlfriend who grew up in Pensylvania. Maybe I should re-evaluate it. I still stand by my position that anyone who hunts animals for fun is sick

Magical Pumpkin

18,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking

Huh. That's an interesting stereotype. Haven't heard of that one. The information I've gathered on hunting being part of your culture comes from my girlfriend who grew up in Pensylvania. Maybe I should re-evaluate it. I still stand by my position that anyone who hunts animals for fun is sick
Ha, I also grew up in PA, in Bucks Co. near Philly. What county was she from? There are a lot more hunters outside the metropolitan areas, and it is quite likely she knew some who did it for shits and giggles. I agree with you, hunting for fun and nothing else is disgusting. Sport hunters could at least donate the meat to a food bank like those in the link I posted above. ^^
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking

Ha, I also grew up in PA, in Bucks Co. near Philly. What county was she from? There are a lot more hunters outside the metropolitan areas, and it is quite likely she knew some who did it for shits and giggles. I agree with you, hunting for fun and nothing else is disgusting. Sport hunters could at least donate the meat to a food bank like those in the link I posted above. ^^

She's from Crawford. Her dad had his own woodlands to hunt in. He actually ate the meat, but he also mounted the heads... She told me that he had a stand where he just sits and waits for the deer to come to him. That seems even more barbaric than looking for them

Magical Pumpkin

18,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking

She's from Crawford. Her dad had his own woodlands to hunt in. He actually ate the meat, but he also mounted the heads... She told me that he had a stand where he just sits and waits for the deer to come to him. That seems even more barbaric than looking for them
Wow, what a small world. My best friend in college was from Cochranton. It is very rural and woodsy there.

Um, I've never hunted myself, but I thought one of the best ways was to sit quietly and wait for them to get close enough to shoot. Stumbling around through the woods is just going to make them run and make it harder to get a clean shot. At least, when I'm stumbling through the woods on a hike the deer run away when they hear me. Maybe a hunter could sound in and tell us how to hunt. I know two ways to get deer to come in close, one is to make a moo noise at them, the other is to shine a bright light in their direction at night (jacklighting) and I know the latter is illegal despite it being a good way to get a clean shot.

Liberal Dabbler

Ratttking

Hey there, I grew up in Arkansas (very wooded) and recently moved to Montana (you can walk a mile without laying eyes on a tree in some places). Both regions hunt a lot of deer and elk and I hang out with hunters and eat their game all the time. I want to take my own elk next year, and I've been along on hunting trips and helped butcher the kill afterwards, I've just never fired the shot.

Anyway, in wooded areas you're right, the only way to bag a deer is to wait in a clearing. Various methods are used to attract deer, from calling to feeding, but you pretty much pick a good spot and wait for a shot to present itself. In the open country, that rarely works. You have to approach your game slowly from downwind and usually end up taking pretty long shots compared to hunters in the forest and covering a lot of ground to get to the carcass before the wolves. Each method has its merits in its environment.

Almost all of the hunters I know treasure game meat as more healthy and tastier than the industrially farmed animals available, and even those who hunt more than they eat make an active effort to find friends or food banks that will accept the surplus. Waste is very much frowned upon. Further, as the OP stated, there are several areas where all large natural predators are effectively extinct, leading to what we call "the waste" (overgrazing leading to widespread malnutrition and disease) if herds aren't properly culled.

Speaking of, I have some ground elk thawing in the sink for supper tonight. I'm thinking enchiladas.

Magical Pumpkin

18,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
FlySammyJ
Ratttking

Hey there, I grew up in Arkansas (very wooded) and recently moved to Montana (you can walk a mile without laying eyes on a tree in some places). Both regions hunt a lot of deer and elk and I hang out with hunters and eat their game all the time. I want to take my own elk next year, and I've been along on hunting trips and helped butcher the kill afterwards, I've just never fired the shot.

Anyway, in wooded areas you're right, the only way to bag a deer is to wait in a clearing. Various methods are used to attract deer, from calling to feeding, but you pretty much pick a good spot and wait for a shot to present itself. In the open country, that rarely works. You have to approach your game slowly from downwind and usually end up taking pretty long shots compared to hunters in the forest and covering a lot of ground to get to the carcass before the wolves. Each method has its merits in its environment.

Almost all of the hunters I know treasure game meat as more healthy and tastier than the industrially farmed animals available, and even those who hunt more than they eat make an active effort to find friends or food banks that will accept the surplus. Waste is very much frowned upon. Further, as the OP stated, there are several areas where all large natural predators are effectively extinct, leading to what we call "the waste" (overgrazing leading to widespread malnutrition and disease) if herds aren't properly culled.

Speaking of, I have some ground elk thawing in the sink for supper tonight. I'm thinking enchiladas.
Thank you! My dad hunted deer in the Pocono Mountains in PA and small game a little farther south in the counties around Philly, but I never went with him, and he's passed away so I can't ask him. I presume that since it was very woodsy in the mountains he picked a spot and waited quietly for deer. I know he did a lot of walking through fields for the rabbits, squirrels, and pheasants. I never went with him on a hunt, but I did dress the carcasses when I was old enough. I love eating game, pity it's been so long.

Does elk taste anything like venison? Good luck bagging your first!

Liberal Dabbler

Ratttking
Does elk taste anything like venison? Good luck bagging your first!

Elk tastes like a whitetail and a big, juicy cow had a baby. Just a trace of gaminess, but some cuts can be very tender show a little marbling. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the luck! Most of they guys I know go for antlers first and use the meat so they don't waste it, but I think it's better for the herd (if overpopulated) and more delicious to take a small doe.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff