Welcome to Gaia! ::

Queen Shining Heaven
Telor II
Queen Shining Heaven
x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that? What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things? Who takes pleasure out of that? AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

For ******** sake...

Yeah, some people who hunt do so because they have no access to regular stores and must hunt for food. Also, you say "Americans" as if no other country hunts animals. Hunting has been around forever and it's not going to go away because a few people whine about a couple of deer dying

He said that hunting for sport is ******** up. Cause it is.

Why is it ******** up? In a surplus population, killing excess animals can be beneficial to the overall health of the populartion

Because you take enjoyment out of killing something. And if you can't understand why taking enjoyment from ending a life is ******** up, then I suspect you have a screw loose as well
Posties
x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that? What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things? Who takes pleasure out of that? AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

For ******** sake...
Killing things is normal, it's mounting and stuffing a ******** animal cadaver in your house that's ******** up.

Killing for fun, for sport, that's what I was raging against. Killing for food, sure. Killing because you find it fun? No

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
x-Garethp-x
Queen Shining Heaven
Telor II
Queen Shining Heaven
x-Garethp-x

For ******** sake...

Yeah, some people who hunt do so because they have no access to regular stores and must hunt for food. Also, you say "Americans" as if no other country hunts animals. Hunting has been around forever and it's not going to go away because a few people whine about a couple of deer dying

Why is it ******** up? In a surplus population, killing excess animals can be beneficial to the overall health of the populartion

Because you take enjoyment out of killing something. And if you can't understand why taking enjoyment from ending a life is ******** up, then I suspect you have a screw loose as well

It's just an animal

Distinct Poster

x-Garethp-x
Posties
x-Garethp-x

For ******** sake...
Killing things is normal, it's mounting and stuffing a ******** animal cadaver in your house that's ******** up.

Killing for fun, for sport, that's what I was raging against. Killing for food, sure. Killing because you find it fun? No
I agree.
Queen Shining Heaven
x-Garethp-x
Queen Shining Heaven
Telor II
Queen Shining Heaven
x-Garethp-x

For ******** sake...

It's just an animal

Taking enjoyment out of killing anything, animal or human, is sick, deranged, psychopathic and wrong on every level
Telor II
Agent Borealis
x-Garethp-x

For ******** sake...

It IS perfectly normal. Do you think humans are some perfect moral creature? Killing is a part of our nature, our history and is an instinct. Same goes for almost every other organism in existence.

Something being natural does not automatically make it right or good.
Antibiotics and vaccinations are wholly unnatural, but I don't think anyone could successfully argue that those things are bad.

I was responding to someone who was arguing that it was not normal. Furthermore, "good" and "bad" are completely subjective standards.
Agent Borealis
Telor II
Agent Borealis
x-Garethp-x

For ******** sake...

It IS perfectly normal. Do you think humans are some perfect moral creature? Killing is a part of our nature, our history and is an instinct. Same goes for almost every other organism in existence.

Something being natural does not automatically make it right or good.
Antibiotics and vaccinations are wholly unnatural, but I don't think anyone could successfully argue that those things are bad.

I was responding to someone who was arguing that it was not normal. Furthermore, "good" and "bad" are completely subjective standards.

Not completely subjective. We've come to a collective agreement that the preservation of life is a good thing. If you disagree then explain medical science to me.

You were equating natural with normal, which isn't really true.
And he was saying that it's abnormal to hunt for sport, which is not what (most) organisms do.
Telor II

Not completely subjective. We've come to a collective agreement that the preservation of life is a good thing. If you disagree then explain medical science to me.

But it doesn't matter that we've all come to that agreement. That fact doesn't make it any less subjective.

Telor II

And he was saying that it's abnormal to hunt for sport, which is not what (most) organisms do.

I was using them as interchangeable terms. He never said hunting for sport. He just said hunting which could refer to hunting for food which is natural. Hunting in general, whether for food or sport though is natural for humans.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
zosh

One thing that soooo many people do not realize is that it's is NOT the "vegan hippie tree huggers" but the "rednecks living out in the sticks" that are the greatest benefit of our ecosystems. From Buffalo ranches to turkey coops and wolf breeders, THEY are the ones restoring our wildlife

Except folks running buffalo ranches aren't doing it to restore the wild population, they're doing it for the meat.

With that said, I think it should be based on individual area. Deer overpopulation is a bigger problem in some places than in others.

Also, deer cost THOUSANDS of human lives every year? They are one of the more dangerous animals in our country but I doubt the numbers are that big.
Agent Borealis
Telor II

But it doesn't matter that we've all come to that agreement. That fact doesn't make it any less subjective.

Telor II

I was using them as interchangeable terms. He never said hunting for sport. He just said hunting which could refer to hunting for food which is natural. Hunting in general, whether for food or sport though is natural for humans.

He said "What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things?" (emphasis mine).
And, again, hunting for sport isn't really natural. Yes, some animals do it, but that's not really the norm. And, also again, something being natural doesn't make it a thing we should be doing. Infanticide is also natural. So is cannibalism.

It's not normal to enjoy the act of killing. Most people go their whole lives without killing anything larger than an insect. Most people don't want to kill anything.
That's my experience of normal.
Telor II

And, again, hunting for sport isn't really natural. Yes, some animals do it, but that's not really the norm. And, also again, something being natural doesn't make it a thing we should be doing. Infanticide is also natural. So is cannibalism.

Hunting for sport is natural for humans.
"Should" and "Is" are two very different things. What "is" is more objective than what "should" be. Keep that in mind when you're talking to me about moral issues.

Telor II

It's not normal to enjoy the act of killing. Most people go their whole lives without killing anything larger than an insect. Most people don't want to kill anything.
That's my experience of normal.

I would say it depends on what you're killing. Plenty of people enjoy killing deer. I would say it's normal to enjoy killing deer and abnormal to enjoy killing humans.
marshmallowcreampie

Also, deer cost THOUSANDS of human lives every year? They are one of the more dangerous animals in our country but I doubt the numbers are that big.

due to car collisions with them, YES, THEY COST THOUSANDS OF HUMAN LIVES EVERY YEAR. CAR ACCIDENTS. YES, THOUSANDS

BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN DAMAGE. 1.5 MILLION DEER ARE HIT / YEAR

Mega Noob

I think the deer are in need of more natural predators. They had equilibrium once, before we came and populated everything. Then again, the humans displaced the predators so maybe humans need more natural predators.
Unfortunately, selling more hunting permits might not solve the problem. My family (and fiance's family) all got tags last season, nobody saw a single deer on any land they were able to hunt. When my sister got home one night, a week after the season ended and it actually got cold and snowed, there were 14 deer in her back yard.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Telor II
Restoring the balance of nature through murder. What an American sentiment.

You do realize it's just as prevalent outside of America, right?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff