Welcome to Gaia! ::

I AM R U
Skeksis
I AM R U
black_wing_angel
x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that?

Food, mostly. Specifically, access to food that is otherwise difficult, if possible, to obtain. Wild game aren't usually found in the grocery store. Except domesticated turkey, I suppose.

Also, it helps keep their numbers in check. Rather a deer suffer some 3 minutes worth of bleeding out, than several months of starvation, because they've become over-run, and have depleted their own natural foods.

That's actually why carnivours and omnivours exist. It's a natural balance of population.

Quote:
What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things?

It's not that sick, nor twisted. It's human nature at its core.

Quote:
Who takes pleasure out of that?

Lots of people, all over the world. Not just in the US.

In fact, YOU are the minority. That means YOU are the weird one.

Quote:
AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

Because....it is? It's no less "unusual" for a human to kill animals for sustanence, than for a bear.

Like I said, you are the one who's not normal, given that you are the minority.

He's an Australian, like me - here, hunters and pro-hunting people are definitely a minority, and are often seen as heartless monsters who get pleasure out of killing. See, here the only things to hunt are ducks and kangaroos. And many "recreational" hunters, pretty much go along just for the killing, not for the eating. Here, "hunting" and "hunters" can have different connotations.

It's not a matter of normality, it's a matter of perspective.

Waaaaiiiiiit, are you serious? There are heaps of things to hunt here. Rabbits, hares, feral cats, foxes, feral dogs, feral pigs, goats, five or so species of deer (Sambar, Chital, Hog deer, Rusa, Red deer, and Fallow), buffalo, feral donkeys, camels, feral horses, etc. Kangaroos if you have the right license, and a variety of birds.

Yeah, and farmers do hunt those - but most recreational farmers seem to be just a little oppsessed with their right to kill ducks neutral

Most recreational hunters I know...and I do know a few...do not hunt ducks. And ducks are only available to hunt on an extremely limited basis. The seasons are quite strict. Pest species such as rabbits, foxes, feral cats and pigs can be hunted at any time.

I've been hunting for a long time and I have never looked sideways at a duck. Have caught hundreds of rabbits and quite a few foxes though.

I don't think you know as much about this topic as you think you do.

Partying Streaker

tfwbtr
My brother hunts. I think it's absolutely disgusting. I don't think anyone should kill an animal. Animals are equal to humans. So what if a few thousand people die from deers jumping out into the road? Billions of animals are BRUTALLY MURDERED every year for meat.

you should be kissing the hunters feet for killing animals in quite possibly one of the most humane ways possible. with less restrictions on hunting, more people would be able to go out and shoot a deer. generally it is a fairly painless death and the deer got to live a wonderful life frolicking in the woods with bambis mom.. well before she was killed. it isn't the hunters that are disgusting, dear. it is the slaughter houses that abuse animals their entire life then kill them. i hate to break it to you, but people have been killing animals since the dawn of time. and if they all went vegetarian, then what? do you think about the deforestation that would happen to feed the population? vegetables have to grow somewhere. and guess what happens when fields are made? you destroy animal habitats and cause overpopulation in certain areas, causing animals to starve and live in awful conditions. i really feel like people like you don't exactly think things through. disgusting, indeed.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Skeksis
I AM R U
Skeksis
I AM R U
black_wing_angel

Food, mostly. Specifically, access to food that is otherwise difficult, if possible, to obtain. Wild game aren't usually found in the grocery store. Except domesticated turkey, I suppose.

Also, it helps keep their numbers in check. Rather a deer suffer some 3 minutes worth of bleeding out, than several months of starvation, because they've become over-run, and have depleted their own natural foods.

That's actually why carnivours and omnivours exist. It's a natural balance of population.

Because....it is? It's no less "unusual" for a human to kill animals for sustanence, than for a bear.

He's an Australian, like me - here, hunters and pro-hunting people are definitely a minority, and are often seen as heartless monsters who get pleasure out of killing. See, here the only things to hunt are ducks and kangaroos. And many "recreational" hunters, pretty much go along just for the killing, not for the eating. Here, "hunting" and "hunters" can have different connotations.

Waaaaiiiiiit, are you serious? There are heaps of things to hunt here. Rabbits, hares, feral cats, foxes, feral dogs, feral pigs, goats, five or so species of deer (Sambar, Chital, Hog deer, Rusa, Red deer, and Fallow), buffalo, feral donkeys, camels, feral horses, etc. Kangaroos if you have the right license, and a variety of birds.

Yeah, and farmers do hunt those - but most recreational farmers seem to be just a little oppsessed with their right to kill ducks neutral

Most recreational hunters I know...and I do know a few...do not hunt ducks. And ducks are only available to hunt on an extremely limited basis. The seasons are quite strict. Pest species such as rabbits, foxes, feral cats and pigs can be hunted at any time.

I've been hunting for a long time and I have never looked sideways at a duck. Have caught hundreds of rabbits and quite a few foxes though.

I don't think you know as much about this topic as you think you do.

Fair call.

Familiar Friend

Skeksis
low iq 111
P47Thunderbolt
low iq 111
we hunt whatever is causing extinctions or whatever is too high in population but also try to promote living things from not going extinct.

we should also have a lot more land/nature preserves imo.

hunters aren't thinking that much when they go out and hunt though. i don't believe these people

are seriously trying to protect, restore, and conserve nature.

Believe what you wish, but the fact of the matter is, yes, they are.

By purchasing hunting permits, buying tags, paying entrance fees and so forth, they are directly funding efforts aimed at purchasing and managing habitat, game populations, and safety/awareness programs.

how does one action lead to the other action? i don't understand your logic right now. the hunters i know don't give a crap about managing habitat or game population. they go out to hunt to shoot at things simply for fun because for some people that is enjoyment. also why is 'managing population and habitat' for you hunters always about killing animals that are getting overly populated but when confronted about extinct animals you couldn't care less? bull s**t you care about habitat or animals. just like bullshit to anyone who says they 'love animals' but don't volunteer with animals or attempt to be vegetarian or do anything to show that they 'love animals'. it's bullshit. what people should be doing to manage habitat is to advocate for much more land preserves.

The hunters you know =/= all hunters.

I love the Australian bush and I think it is a terrible shame that humans have impacted upon it so severely. Part of that impact was the introduction of a variety of invasive species. I enjoy hunting, I am good at it and I like that my hunting activities benefit the environment. I also appreciate that it fills my freezer with meat. I wouldn't do it if it had a negative impact upon native animal habitat.
I care very much about extinctions and as I mentioned above...habitat is key.
I love animals, I help out the local branch of wildlife rescue by breeding mice for injured birds of prey. I also have a foster dog through a local rescue group. And I hunt. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

What's the point of more land preserves if they are overrun with rabbits, foxes and feral cats? Feral animal control is important.

oh sure but you're more of an exception, which is good
thank you for being responsible

Fanatical Zealot

I AM R U
Skeksis
I AM R U
black_wing_angel
x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that?

Quote:
What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things?

Quote:
Who takes pleasure out of that?

Quote:
AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

And defend themselves from crazy people.

Greedy Consumer

x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that? What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things? Who takes pleasure out of that? AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

For ******** sake...
some actually eat the meat, and its something to do for family bonding apparantly. Some do it to be like, I killed a deer dis big! *holds out arms wide and leans backwards*
But yeah, its whatever to me, Im sorta nuetral on it.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Suicidesoldier#1
I AM R U
Skeksis
I AM R U
black_wing_angel

I'm thinking of getting a gun to defend myself from you...

Fanatical Zealot

I AM R U
Suicidesoldier#1
I AM R U
Skeksis
I AM R U
black_wing_angel

Not a bad idea.

You might want like, a .40 S&W, those are pretty popular, and I prefer an AR-10.

But AR-10's have a ton of recoil.

.40's are lightweight and small, like a 9mm, but that almost have the punch of a .45. xp
low iq 111
Skeksis
low iq 111
P47Thunderbolt
low iq 111
we hunt whatever is causing extinctions or whatever is too high in population but also try to promote living things from not going extinct.

we should also have a lot more land/nature preserves imo.

hunters aren't thinking that much when they go out and hunt though. i don't believe these people

are seriously trying to protect, restore, and conserve nature.

Believe what you wish, but the fact of the matter is, yes, they are.

By purchasing hunting permits, buying tags, paying entrance fees and so forth, they are directly funding efforts aimed at purchasing and managing habitat, game populations, and safety/awareness programs.

how does one action lead to the other action? i don't understand your logic right now. the hunters i know don't give a crap about managing habitat or game population. they go out to hunt to shoot at things simply for fun because for some people that is enjoyment. also why is 'managing population and habitat' for you hunters always about killing animals that are getting overly populated but when confronted about extinct animals you couldn't care less? bull s**t you care about habitat or animals. just like bullshit to anyone who says they 'love animals' but don't volunteer with animals or attempt to be vegetarian or do anything to show that they 'love animals'. it's bullshit. what people should be doing to manage habitat is to advocate for much more land preserves.

The hunters you know =/= all hunters.

I love the Australian bush and I think it is a terrible shame that humans have impacted upon it so severely. Part of that impact was the introduction of a variety of invasive species. I enjoy hunting, I am good at it and I like that my hunting activities benefit the environment. I also appreciate that it fills my freezer with meat. I wouldn't do it if it had a negative impact upon native animal habitat.
I care very much about extinctions and as I mentioned above...habitat is key.
I love animals, I help out the local branch of wildlife rescue by breeding mice for injured birds of prey. I also have a foster dog through a local rescue group. And I hunt. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

What's the point of more land preserves if they are overrun with rabbits, foxes and feral cats? Feral animal control is important.

oh sure but you're more of an exception, which is good
thank you for being responsible

Thanks! I don't think I'm an exception though as I have met many hunters and trappers who are very concerned about maintaining habitat and animal populations.

I'm sorry that the hunters you have met haven't represented hunters very well...they would probably find their attitudes not welcomed in the hunting community. Anyone who takes hunting seriously has an appreciation for the wilderness in one way or another. smile

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Suicidesoldier#1
I AM R U
Suicidesoldier#1
I AM R U
Skeksis

Not a bad idea.

You might want like, a .40 S&W, those are pretty popular, and I prefer an AR-10.

.40's are lightweight and small, like a 9mm, but that almost have the punch of a .45. xp

Thanks for the tips on how to kill you :3

Fanatical Zealot

I AM R U
Suicidesoldier#1
I AM R U
Suicidesoldier#1
I AM R U
Skeksis

Not a bad idea.

Thanks for the tips on how to kill you :3

Well, it might be useful, if I wouldn't be wearing body armor and sneak up on you. ninja

I'd sneak up on you from behind and I'd be gone before you ever saw my coming. ninja

Yes, that's a pun.
I think if we want to get rid of giant meat factories that pin animals up like files in a CIA building, we need to use more free range grass fed beef. That means we will have less cows in the overall market place, but the cows will be happier, and healthier, and those benefits will pass on to the consumer. The lack of meat, however, will demand an alternative source.

The Japanese recommend eating excrement.

Then there's the process of "rendering", sustainability experts may recommend recycled processes similar to "liquid cremation" for protein sources.

I recommend expanding hunting, and creating small wild life refuges that serve the purpose of having a control group population of species good for hunting so that the population can be replenished in the event of over hunting or a major disaster (such as a disease that sweeps across the species, or Volcanic activity, famine, etc. that reduces the population of hunting animals to dangerously low levels). Then increase hunting seasons gradually to line up with the supply. Put hunting meats in the super market and whole sale stores. One day the next generation will wake up, go to the grocery store, and have the option of grass fed beef, elk, or venison, and a dozen different kinds of poultry including fresh grouse, duck, wild turkey, and more.

Dedicated Lunatic

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I don't think we should hunt deer to extinction and I also don't think we should farm them. If you're not a competent enough hunter to take down a deer in less than two minutes after first firing, I do not believe you should be hunting. Beyond that, hunting is an excellent idea.
simplication
I don't think we should hunt deer to extinction and I also don't think we should farm them. If you're not a competent enough hunter to take down a deer in less than two minutes after first firing, I do not believe you should be hunting. Beyond that, hunting is an excellent idea.

when ever a sudden change in policy takes place, you get high risk environments in terms of statistics. That's why I recommended wild life preserves, scattered across the country, each one ranging from a few to several hundred or a thousand acres, but overall, composing far less than 0.1% of the land used by that species. The purpose is to allow the Vets/Wild Life Rangers/Etc. to keep a fresh supply of the species, such as Deer, Wild Turkey, Goose, Duck, etc. and if the hunters offset the population too much by accident, that population can be restored quickly.

I'm arguing for more hunting, not less, but I'm also aware that if hunting was largely deregulated, something as simple as a New Caliber of a rifle and a popular television show could cause a species to go from in check to endangered. It's just like the problem of trash. When I was at the Emperor's city/palace in Beijing, there were all these pieces of trash in the stream. One person may not contribute much, but millions will, and millions of hunters are easily swayed by trends, especially new hunters. So like a seed bank, we need wild life preserves,

BUT

the wild life "preserves" we have today are too big. Way, way too big, and they don't permit hunting. That's wrong. That needs to be said. Confiscating people's lands is not the solution. I am not advocating making thousands of square miles untouchable zoos so yuppies in helicopters can enjoy the scenery while poverty stricken millions live in superstructure projects like prison labor. That's not what I'm advocating at all.
I do believe animals such as deer and Canadian geese do need some population control since our ancestors basically wiped out their natural predators. Geese are becoming an issue in many areas and despite a thriving population still remain on many protection lists despite their nuisance.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff