Welcome to Gaia! ::

x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that? What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things? Who takes pleasure out of that? AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

For ******** sake...
Do you understand Australians and their hunting? xxx

Hunting is perfectly normal and has been done by humans and our ancestors for millions of years.

It's not nearly as prevalent. There are people who do it, but it's not part of austrlian culture

And hunting for food is one thing, but if people will read my posts, hunting for sport and fun is barbaric and psychopathic. Anyone who takes joy from the death of an animal is ******** up
Not part of your culture? LOL. Then why were so many game species introduced? You wouldn't have your rabbit problem if the settlers hadn't wanted to hunt. Were water buffalo introduced solely for the purpose of making mozzarella from their milk? Why bring in foxes? There is a long list of animals hunted in your country. I guess you don't count the Aborigines and their hunting as being part of Australian culture?

I agree that hunting should be done mainly for the purpose of putting food on the table.

Rabbit and Water Buffalo were brought over for food for the colonies. Ditto with Rabbits. Yes, foxes were brought over for hunting. In the 1800's. Yeah, some animals were hunted at the start, but like I said, it's not part of our culture to just go and hunt for sport

Seriously, has no one read my posts? Aborigines hunted for food, not for fun. I don't understand why people keep thinking I'm against hunting for food, when all I keep on saying, is that it takes a sick twisted person to hunt for sport

http://jos.sagepub.com/content/32/3/39.short

Yeah, link says otherwise. There is certainly an Australian hunting culture, as this sociologist notes. She also argues that its not nearly as controversial as it is in the US. Whether or not you get why people hunt for fun is another matter; the fact is people in Australia certainly do.

I don't see the twistedness in hunting for sport myself. Its a challenge like any other sport. Its at least as legitimate and 'twisted' as is a sport where you intentionally hurt someone as part of it (football, martial arts, lacrosse, water polo, soccer, hockey, basketball, etc.) or where you hurt yourself as part of it (Swimming, track, shot-put, etc.)
Deer are beautiful creatures. I hate hunters that hunt them down.
Lisa_the_paramagic

Of course they're beautiful creatures, however, 1.5 million deer are hit by cars every year, not all of them die... it's sad. The meat is wasted, they're wounded, and suffer. When, instead, hunting seasons can be expanded to lower numbers to high populated areas to prevent this from happening. Deer suffer a lot less when hit by a 150 grain projectile going 3000 feet per second as opposed to a 2 ton car going 55 mph. neutral You're not seeing the big picture here. Hunters love and respect nature.

Liberal Dabbler

Lisa_the_paramagic

Do you hate wolves?
this is a really weird question
I don't know how I feel about this exactly.

I love the s**t out of animals and would prefer to see them live their natural life cycle, even if that happens to be starving due to over population. Being hit by a car is different- I don't think we should kill them in order to prevent that... but I do believe in shooting after they've been hit in order to put them out of their misery.

I have a huge amount of respect for hunters that use the whole animal, I feel like not looking into having someone tan your hides for you, or at least going through the effort to google search how to do it is just lazy. However, I think its important to state that you should only take what you need.

I hate trophy hunting- I think it is appalling.

I'm also not a huge fan of the whole pre-packaged meat industry.. It makes people ignorant of what their food had to go through before it became food... and I think it contributes our nations to the obesity issue.

I guess over all I would rather see people doing some hunting- But population controls are really important.. If we over hunt them even the slightest amount it will effect the natural predators in the region, some of which are endangered, or unstable as it is. ******** up the eco-system is bad news bears.

We as humans have to remember that another animal is no less valuable to this world than we are.
x-Garethp-x
Ratttking
x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that? What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things? Who takes pleasure out of that? AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

For ******** sake...
Do you understand Australians and their hunting? xxx

Hunting is perfectly normal and has been done by humans and our ancestors for millions of years.

It's not nearly as prevalent. There are people who do it, but it's not part of austrlian culture

And hunting for food is one thing, but if people will read my posts, hunting for sport and fun is barbaric and psychopathic. Anyone who takes joy from the death of an animal is ******** up

I guess that depends on where you live, because I live in a rural area and I can assure you that HEAPS of people hunt.

I'm Australian and exactly one hour ago I was out hunting rabbits. Successfully. My fridge is now well stocked and I have lots of delicious fresh meat- and, dare I say it...it was a helluva lot of fun. I love the process of hunting. I try to hunt at least once a week in summer- in winter I can hunt up to seven days a week using various methods. Hunting is alive and well here and in rural communities it is definitely part of the culture.

Lol, Rattking, I actually do have a splash of convict blood...and I do like my vegemite! I'll pass on the other things, though.
I AM R U
black_wing_angel
x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that?

Food, mostly. Specifically, access to food that is otherwise difficult, if possible, to obtain. Wild game aren't usually found in the grocery store. Except domesticated turkey, I suppose.

Also, it helps keep their numbers in check. Rather a deer suffer some 3 minutes worth of bleeding out, than several months of starvation, because they've become over-run, and have depleted their own natural foods.

That's actually why carnivours and omnivours exist. It's a natural balance of population.

Quote:
What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things?

It's not that sick, nor twisted. It's human nature at its core.

Quote:
Who takes pleasure out of that?

Lots of people, all over the world. Not just in the US.

In fact, YOU are the minority. That means YOU are the weird one.

Quote:
AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

Because....it is? It's no less "unusual" for a human to kill animals for sustanence, than for a bear.

Like I said, you are the one who's not normal, given that you are the minority.

He's an Australian, like me - here, hunters and pro-hunting people are definitely a minority, and are often seen as heartless monsters who get pleasure out of killing. See, here the only things to hunt are ducks and kangaroos. And many "recreational" hunters, pretty much go along just for the killing, not for the eating. Here, "hunting" and "hunters" can have different connotations.

It's not a matter of normality, it's a matter of perspective.

Waaaaiiiiiit, are you serious? There are heaps of things to hunt here. Rabbits, hares, feral cats, foxes, feral dogs, feral pigs, goats, five or so species of deer (Sambar, Chital, Hog deer, Rusa, Red deer, and Fallow), buffalo, feral donkeys, camels, feral horses, etc. Kangaroos if you have the right license, and a variety of birds.
low iq 111
P47Thunderbolt
low iq 111
we hunt whatever is causing extinctions or whatever is too high in population but also try to promote living things from not going extinct.

we should also have a lot more land/nature preserves imo.

hunters aren't thinking that much when they go out and hunt though. i don't believe these people

are seriously trying to protect, restore, and conserve nature.

Believe what you wish, but the fact of the matter is, yes, they are.

By purchasing hunting permits, buying tags, paying entrance fees and so forth, they are directly funding efforts aimed at purchasing and managing habitat, game populations, and safety/awareness programs.

how does one action lead to the other action? i don't understand your logic right now. the hunters i know don't give a crap about managing habitat or game population. they go out to hunt to shoot at things simply for fun because for some people that is enjoyment. also why is 'managing population and habitat' for you hunters always about killing animals that are getting overly populated but when confronted about extinct animals you couldn't care less? bull s**t you care about habitat or animals. just like bullshit to anyone who says they 'love animals' but don't volunteer with animals or attempt to be vegetarian or do anything to show that they 'love animals'. it's bullshit. what people should be doing to manage habitat is to advocate for much more land preserves.

The hunters you know =/= all hunters.

I love the Australian bush and I think it is a terrible shame that humans have impacted upon it so severely. Part of that impact was the introduction of a variety of invasive species. I enjoy hunting, I am good at it and I like that my hunting activities benefit the environment. I also appreciate that it fills my freezer with meat. I wouldn't do it if it had a negative impact upon native animal habitat.
I care very much about extinctions and as I mentioned above...habitat is key.
I love animals, I help out the local branch of wildlife rescue by breeding mice for injured birds of prey. I also have a foster dog through a local rescue group. And I hunt. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

What's the point of more land preserves if they are overrun with rabbits, foxes and feral cats? Feral animal control is important.
I live in Northern Wisconsin where Deer hunting is a very big part of the culture and way of living. Deer hunting season with the guns is actually a holiday.

I myself did some hunting and I actually got a few deer. But it's not for me. I can hunt if I really really had too because I have a rifle. But I'll leave it to my dad and younger brother. Plus the venison isn't too bad but it gets old. I wish we could hunt wild cows instead I like beef.

But anyways yea we don't need to preserve the way of life in my opinion but it takes the right the personality. One who doesn't mind being in the cold and waiting for long hours.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Just saw this article on CNN and thought of this thread: Python Hunt in Florida.

Other than the fact it is interesting because one does not usually think of snakes as an animal humans hunt, the issue at hand is not the welfare of the snakes (which are an invasive species) but the ecosystem at large and the native species that the snakes are preying on.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Skeksis
I AM R U
black_wing_angel
x-Garethp-x
I don't understand Americans and their hunting. Why would they do that?

Food, mostly. Specifically, access to food that is otherwise difficult, if possible, to obtain. Wild game aren't usually found in the grocery store. Except domesticated turkey, I suppose.

Also, it helps keep their numbers in check. Rather a deer suffer some 3 minutes worth of bleeding out, than several months of starvation, because they've become over-run, and have depleted their own natural foods.

That's actually why carnivours and omnivours exist. It's a natural balance of population.

Quote:
What kind of sick twisted b*****d makes a sport of killing things?

It's not that sick, nor twisted. It's human nature at its core.

Quote:
Who takes pleasure out of that?

Lots of people, all over the world. Not just in the US.

In fact, YOU are the minority. That means YOU are the weird one.

Quote:
AND WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL???

Because....it is? It's no less "unusual" for a human to kill animals for sustanence, than for a bear.

Like I said, you are the one who's not normal, given that you are the minority.

He's an Australian, like me - here, hunters and pro-hunting people are definitely a minority, and are often seen as heartless monsters who get pleasure out of killing. See, here the only things to hunt are ducks and kangaroos. And many "recreational" hunters, pretty much go along just for the killing, not for the eating. Here, "hunting" and "hunters" can have different connotations.

It's not a matter of normality, it's a matter of perspective.

Waaaaiiiiiit, are you serious? There are heaps of things to hunt here. Rabbits, hares, feral cats, foxes, feral dogs, feral pigs, goats, five or so species of deer (Sambar, Chital, Hog deer, Rusa, Red deer, and Fallow), buffalo, feral donkeys, camels, feral horses, etc. Kangaroos if you have the right license, and a variety of birds.

Yeah, and farmers do hunt those - but most recreational farmers seem to be just a little oppsessed with their right to kill ducks neutral
x-Garethp-x

For ******** sake...

because it is normal.

you kill it, you eat it. s**t's fun bro.
My brother hunts. I think it's absolutely disgusting. I don't think anyone should kill an animal. Animals are equal to humans. So what if a few thousand people die from deers jumping out into the road? Billions of animals are BRUTALLY MURDERED every year for meat.

Barton Elder

I'm a hunter. I have a license to hunt alligator too.

Here in the South, it's more of a cultural thing. I remember, and I know many other young men from here do too, when I was ten years old and my dad woke me up in the wee hours of the morning. He didn't say much, just "C'mon, we got things too do.", which wasn't uncommon in our rural lot in life. We got in the truck and drove for about fifteen minutes and he took me to a deer stand. We waited and waited, then a large buck came into sight. I fired, and he was so proud, as was I.

Secondly, not everyone has the privilege of being able to afford to go to the grocery store for their every need. It may seem strange in the city and even the suburbs, but in rural areas, jobs aren't plenty and few pay well. It's far easier to save a couple hundred a month if you spend very little on a magazine and bring food home.

Also, deer are oversized rodents. In the Summer I always find three to four in my front yard tearing the yard up and eating from my garden.
Wild Boars are dangerous and should be reduced if found. (Boars, not those cute things at farms. These things weigh hundreds of pounds, are gnarly black in color, and are aggressive as Hell.)
Alligator tastes good. They're not really dangerous, even in water, if you've been around them most of your life. Just know to keep your distance.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff