Welcome to Gaia! ::

yaamsu's Husbando

Borg

Think about it before you answer, its very easy to believe that you accepted an idea or belief on your own when processing information but how often do you double check to insure if this is fact or a implanted opinion from another.

When you receive information from any source of media with an event that tugs at your moral values and exploits them to get their message across how often do you do research from the other point of view?
Do you even take a glance?

(Note: I didn't create this topic to bring about the discussion of current events, etc. Please keep arguments about these to a minimum if at all.)

Discuss:
-Thinking for yourself

Partying Streaker

It's impossible to form an opinion that is completely uninfluenced by media or society.

I generally form my opinions by taking in as much information as possible and go from there.

Dapper Reveler

The source of my thoughts are generally just my own bullshit.
I always check multiple news sources because I'm completely aware all of them will misrepresent information in some way. For instance, I saw an article on a conservative website about an initiative that a state legislature was taking to provide lesser sentencing for drug charges. Naturally, the author of the article flipped his s**t because "ermagerdz letting bad people off with wrist slaps!!", but other websites, even including other conservative websites, mentioned that the bill would only affect first-time offenders with no history of violent crime and who were not in possession of enough that it could be reasonably suspected that he was dealing.

I once saw a political cartoon of a politician drinking from a Pepsi can with a few other frames where there were multiple news sources with difference headlines, including things like "Declaration of war on Coca-Cola" and "Appeal to Pepsi drinkers". This is exactly how the media presents information, and that's exactly why you should never follow just one.
Ah, it's all propaganda.

Shameless Mystic

I find that my opinions put me at odds with everyone else. They always have. I tend not to think on a polar level, and so on the increasingly rare occasion that I do voice an opinion I hold, I feel like either nobody gets it, or everyone hates me just a little more than they already did.

So, yea, I think I form my own opinions. I get that a lot of people don't, but I think the primary reason I don't see many unique opinions is because people that have unique opinions tend to learn not to express them because that's a good way to get nailed to a tree.
Aporeia
I find that my opinions put me at odds with everyone else. They always have. I tend not to think on a polar level, and so on the increasingly rare occasion that I do voice an opinion I hold, I feel like either nobody gets it, or everyone hates me just a little more than they already did.

So, yea, I think I form my own opinions. I get that a lot of people don't, but I think the primary reason I don't see many unique opinions is because people that have unique opinions tend to learn not to express them because that's a good way to get nailed to a tree.

I hate "debating" in real life. Express a socially-unacceptable or even non-mainstream opinion and here comes the Spanish ******** Inquisition.

Hygienic Smoker

Nah, there is not an original bone in body. Everything I do, say, or think, has already happened.
Side Note: I write movies for Hollywood
I put in a lot of effort to hold the most popular opinions of the time.
I'd like to say that I do my own research before making my own opinion, but, technically speaking, I still develop a stance or view based on my own personal convictions — whether that be morally, ethically, etc..

The reality is that most people's opinions are shaped by outside influences, even if they don't think so. As much as we like to say we are 'our own person' and think for ourselves, human beings are naturally influenced one way or another by their environment.

In conclusion, yes, I (and others) form my own opinion, but it is not solely my own. Instead, it's a product of innumerable environmental, social, etc. factors.
The Great Autismo
I form my own opinions, then I get told I don't by autists.
If I say I don't form my own opinions, then they autistically agree like sheep.
If I say I do form my own opinion, they autistically call me a liar and a sheep.

******** the arbitrary notions of this rhetorical question.

Who are you, Great Autismo? Who are you really?
The Great Autismo
Silent Mule Man
The Great Autismo
I form my own opinions, then I get told I don't by autists.
If I say I don't form my own opinions, then they autistically agree like sheep.
If I say I do form my own opinion, they autistically call me a liar and a sheep.

******** the arbitrary notions of this rhetorical question.

Who are you, Great Autismo? Who are you really?

What do these questions imply?

Childlike wonder?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas