Welcome to Gaia! ::

I, as a feminist, for the sake of internal consistency, think we should stop believing that

I can't tell a woman what to wear 0.074074074074074 7.4% [ 4 ]
I can tell a man what to wear 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 6 ]
That equality between the sexes is important 0.25925925925926 25.9% [ 14 ]
Logic applies here; my feelings are an argument unto themselves; I choose none of the above 0.55555555555556 55.6% [ 30 ]
Total Votes:[ 54 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

So recently, feminists have taken issue with one of the scientists responsible for landing a probe on a comet because he wore a shirt with sexy, scantily-clad women on it. As the Verge puts it, this vile act is "one small step for man, three steps back for humankind."[1] To back this view up the Guardian states that the ESA "still can’t see misogyny under their noses."[2] Given that it's not the ESA's job to detect and root out misogyny, but instead to do space-related s**t, I don't see how this matters one iota. The Washington posts thinks that Dr. Taylor "did one very good thing and one very bad thing." Indeed, the Washington Post is taking a moderate view compared to The Verge--it seems to think that wearing the wrong shirt to work is merely as big of a deal as putting a probe on a comet, as opposed to thinking that it's three times as important. It also thinks that "shirts covered in half-naked women should not be worn in the workplace, because it sends a clear message to the women around you -- their bodies are really just there for display."[3]

Dr. Taylor has a different view on this matter.
Dr. Taylor
The people I work with don't judge me by my looks but the work that I have done and can do. Simple.
[4]

It's a really nice thought, but free expression is misogyny and, frankly Dr. Taylor, you should be judged by how you look. At least, if it offends feminists.

That said, feminists have made a pretty major bungle in this matter. Remember how feminists think that men have no place telling women what to wear? It's almost like that would apply in this case to Dr. Taylor. Assuming men and women play by the same rules, of course.

So this leaves feminists in a logical predicament. There are three things on the table:
  • You can't tell women what to wear
  • You can tell men what to wear
  • You believe in equality between the two sexes
Choose two.

To this end, I've made a poll on this thread so that we can, as feminists, determine which of these statements we should permanently, and bindingly, forsake.
Roih Uvet
Remember how feminists think that men have no place telling women what to wear?

No.
what kind of scientist doesn't wear a lab coat? fire his a**
Lucky~9~Lives
Roih Uvet
Remember how feminists think that men have no place telling women what to wear?

No.
Okay, that's fine. I'll refresh your memory. With the simple search phrase "tell women what to wear" on Google, I got these things on the first page:
CNN
The Independent
Daily Life

See also "slut shaming."
One day a man will cure cancer or AIDS... or both, and people will b***h because he went to hooters one time with friends the week before.

Blessed Tactician

11,250 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
You know, the trolls wouldn't continue their insanity if you just ignored them.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
That shirt is pretty ******** ugly. But anybody who’s offended by it can go s**t their pants.
Everyone is judged by how they look, period. Does not matter who is doing the judging, people do this naturally.

If you're fat I'm going to assume that you're lazy and have no self control.

If you're visibly dirty I'm going to assume that you don't care about anything/are a gross person.

If you walk around with your underwear hanging out of your pants/butt cheeks hanging out of your shorts I'll assume that you're a douchebag/slut.

If you decide that wearing a shirt like that is appropriate for an event like the one he was at then I'm going to assume that you lack common sense. It's not even about the content of the shirt, he was for all intents and purposes at a formal scientific event and he chose to wear that of all things.

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
So basically, OP, you're telling me that NOT EVEN THE VASTNESS OF SPACE CAN ESCAPE THE ABSURDITY OF FEMINIST RANTINGS?!

User Image

I mean, seriously, a huge breakthrough for science, space travel, technology, etc, and all they can focus on is WHAT SOME RANDOM a*****e HAPPENS TO BE WEARING?! ARE YOU ******** KIDDING ME?!

And no, anyone who feels like responding to this post, there is nothing you can say to change my mind. I have no respect whatsoever for feminists after this, if this is the kind of s**t they pull. Massive, unprecedented scientific achievement turned into a steaming pile of s**t by some angry feminazis?!

******** YOU, WORLD. ******** YOU AND YOUR a**-BACKWARDS STUPID ******** BULLSHIT.

YOU BASTARDS.
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Sincerely yours,
A ******** PISSED OFF SONOFABITCH.

Shirtless Member

I didn't see and boobs or vaginas exposed on his shirt, therefore I take no offense to it as a woman.

I suppose I could stretch as far as to say that that isn't a very professional shirt to wear to work, due to the fact that typically solid coloured shirts seem to come off as more professional... But that would exclude the shirt even if it were comprised entirely of cabbage patch kids, or puppies.

Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Times Of War
One day a man will cure cancer or AIDS... or both, and people will b***h because he went to hooters one time with friends the week before.
Or, you know, it'll be a woman who cures these things, you sexist piece of s**t.

On to the OP, Women don't have the right to tell a man what to wear, but if his clothing is unappealing, then don't be surprised if you can't get laid by women.
A Mythic Angel
Times Of War
Or, you know, it'll be a woman who cures these things, you sexist piece of s**t.
But they're wasting time complaining about something some guy wears instead of actually doing anything. neutral
A Mythic Angel
but if his clothing is unappealing, then don't be surprised if you can't get laid by women.
That's good, it means he won't be sexually objectified by women.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I don't realy care about the feminism arguments going on here, but if you're being interviewed, you could dress a little better

Beloved Lunatic

This is why we should all work in the nude.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff