Welcome to Gaia! ::

wafflecopper
CH1YO
Men do and it should be considered. The final word however they do not.

your smart

Yes. Thank you.
Meroko_Love
No one has the right, whether man, woman, genderqueer, agender, etc. to dictate to a woman what choice she should make with her reproductive system.

What about a doctor with a duty of care? Also genderqueer isn't a thing.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Amor Sempiternus
faerystrangeme
Amor Sempiternus
Steam Punk Adept
Men have absolutely no say in abortion. They can however have an opinion and put in two cents if their partner considers one.

This. If a woman is going to abort his child, then even if he has no say in changing her mind, he at least has a right to know.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I suspect this sort of statement, translated into law, could be very, very dangerous. In an ideal world, the woman would consult with the man and they'd both come to some sort of peaceful understanding. But what you're suggesting would punch a huge hole in a woman's right to privacy, and it begs this question; if we acknowledge a fetus as belonging enough to a man that he has the right to know about it regardless of the woman's wishes, how far a step is it to deciding that he has any other rights over that same fetus? If we allow that there are some medical conditions people other than you have a right to know, then surely we can also write laws publishing the names of people with incurable sexually transitted diseases (in order to protect the health of others, of course).

If a couple has enough communication issues for something as important as a pregnancy to go ignored, that's a problem already. It's not acknowledging the fetus persay, it is simply.. well, politeness. If I got pregnant, I'd at the very least sit down and inform my partner even if I had already decided on abortion. Translation into law wouldn't happen, ideally; it's not a legal matter, it is a matter of personal feelings and communication between two people. She does not HAVE to tell him, but I personally would consider it rather ... well, I can't think of a word that precisely gets over the level of 'what the hell' that I am considering. I could understand someone not telling a man if it was the result of a one night stand, but if it was an accident within a loving, honest relationship then to me, that would be a breech of trust and communication.
Hypothetically speaking:
You got pregnant and decided on an abortion. You know your partner is Adamantly Pro-Life, and would go so far as to kill to prevent an abortion, ESPECIALLY in the case of his own child. Do you still believe you should inform him?
wafflecopper
CH1YO
wafflecopper
CH1YO

your smart

Yes. Thank you.

your polite

I do try.

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Steam Punk Adept
Amor Sempiternus
faerystrangeme
Amor Sempiternus
Steam Punk Adept
Men have absolutely no say in abortion. They can however have an opinion and put in two cents if their partner considers one.

This. If a woman is going to abort his child, then even if he has no say in changing her mind, he at least has a right to know.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I suspect this sort of statement, translated into law, could be very, very dangerous. In an ideal world, the woman would consult with the man and they'd both come to some sort of peaceful understanding. But what you're suggesting would punch a huge hole in a woman's right to privacy, and it begs this question; if we acknowledge a fetus as belonging enough to a man that he has the right to know about it regardless of the woman's wishes, how far a step is it to deciding that he has any other rights over that same fetus? If we allow that there are some medical conditions people other than you have a right to know, then surely we can also write laws publishing the names of people with incurable sexually transitted diseases (in order to protect the health of others, of course).

If a couple has enough communication issues for something as important as a pregnancy to go ignored, that's a problem already. It's not acknowledging the fetus persay, it is simply.. well, politeness. If I got pregnant, I'd at the very least sit down and inform my partner even if I had already decided on abortion. Translation into law wouldn't happen, ideally; it's not a legal matter, it is a matter of personal feelings and communication between two people. She does not HAVE to tell him, but I personally would consider it rather ... well, I can't think of a word that precisely gets over the level of 'what the hell' that I am considering. I could understand someone not telling a man if it was the result of a one night stand, but if it was an accident within a loving, honest relationship then to me, that would be a breech of trust and communication.
Hypothetically speaking:
You got pregnant and decided on an abortion. You know your partner is Adamantly Pro-Life, and would go so far as to kill to prevent an abortion, ESPECIALLY in the case of his own child. Do you still believe you should inform him?

Well, that statement wouldn't apply in my case at all, even hypothetically, but I'll bite.
No, I wouldn't inform him. If I knew he was pro-life before hand however, I wouldn't even be with him in the first place, as his views do not synchronise with my own.
My answer was, of course, dependant on a general situation rather than specifics containing extremes, like your hypothetical.
CH1YO
Meroko_Love
No one has the right, whether man, woman, genderqueer, agender, etc. to dictate to a woman what choice she should make with her reproductive system.

No one.

....Yes, many people identify as genderqueer. neutral
faerystrangeme

The ability of men to abdicate all parental rights and responsibilities to an unplanned child is another debate entirely.

No it isn't a separate debate. It isn't even a debate.
wafflecopper
CH1YO
wafflecopper
CH1YO
wafflecopper
CH1YO

your smart

Yes. Thank you.

your polite

I do try.

your awesome

So I've been told.
Meroko_Love
CH1YO
Meroko_Love

No one.

I know someone who identifies as the Incredible Hulk, which is also not real.
CH1YO
Meroko_Love
CH1YO
Meroko_Love

No one.

no you don't
CH1YO
Got to echo this. Whilst it is simple to respond and say that a woman's body is her body (and hence her say is definitely final).
An extent exists in which to say "you can't experience it therefore you have no say" leaves us somewhat moribund on so many grounds. At least, in a general, societal sense of discussing it. It'd be a bit like saying "he's not a parent he can't comment or act on laws that affect families" or "he's from an affluent background, he shouldn't make laws that will affect the poor". The assumptive would be saying that only specific experience allows people to have a voice. Which is silly.
Although sure, individual scenario, we can almost definitely give mass preference to the female voice.
The Sky Does Not Bow
CH1YO
Meroko_Love
CH1YO
Meroko_Love

No one.

no you don't

I actually do, he's quite entertaining.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas