Welcome to Gaia! ::

divorce...are you anti or pro

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 7, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

it depends on the circumstances
I think marriage is special, and shouldn't be treated so lightly. It alarms me that over 60% of the American population has gotten a divorce. However, I also feel that a couple shouldn't be stuck in a relationship neither are happy in. If they can't work things out, they shouldn't be forced to stay with each other, even if they have kids. Divorce sucks, I know a few friends who've been caught in the middle, but they all feel it's better their parents separated in the end.

Like I said though, marriage isn't taken that serious anymore for many people. But instead of frowning upon divorce, why can't we frown upon frivolous marriages? Make it tougher for people to get married or something. xd
believe me, for the kids of a couple, it's a lot easier on them to see them separated than to see them fighting eachother all day long....
I am in favor of divorce. I love both my parents, but they divorced. On one hand, that can't be good for children involved, but on the other, I really want my parents to be happy... And it's been a couple years now, but they have both found other people. The difference in their happiness levels is amazing. Life is better now. Sure, it was really bad for me, and I was depressed for months, but eventually I rose above it, and I think I became a stronger person for it. That's not to say it's good for everyone, and it has wreaked havoc on my self-confidence, but I think that if a marriage is truly unhappy, then it should end. That wasn't my opinion 2 years ago, but it's my opinion now.
I believe in the line "Till death do us part" not "Till a large argument or problem puts ripples in the pond of our marriage".... if you do it right, you know before marriage that its going to be lasting (meaning you picked the right person... I mean sometimes that can take years)...if you have marriage problems get counseling....
Engil
I think marriage is special, and shouldn't be treated so lightly. It alarms me that over 60% of the American population has gotten a divorce. However, I also feel that a couple shouldn't be stuck in a relationship neither are happy in. If they can't work things out, they shouldn't be forced to stay with each other, even if they have kids. Divorce sucks, I know a few friends who've been caught in the middle, but they all feel it's better their parents separated in the end.

Like I said though, marriage isn't taken that serious anymore for many people. But instead of frowning upon divorce, why can't we frown upon frivolous marriages? Make it tougher for people to get married or something. xd

I agree. It should be tougher to get married, not get divorced.

Where I am, in the UK, you can't file for a divorce until you have been married for a year. If the other spouse contests then you are stuck married to them for 2 years, if they contest again, another 5. It stops people getting on with their lives. My boyfriend is married and it does put a strain on our relationship.
I'm not certain to be honest. I don't see why marriage is necessary to begin with, seeing as nowadays you are able to still be in a relationship, raising children, living in your own home without taking the vows.

I'd be fine with having the option to divorce as I do with the option of abortion. There may come a time when you want to 'undo' something. Afterall, humans aren't perfect. The least we could do is provide the option to undo/fix.

I'm not certain if you can marry someone after abandoning another marriage (without divorce). But, it wouldn't make much of a difference. A ring isn't going to physically bring them back. A marriage certificate isn't going to keep them true to you. I guess I just see marriage as something pointless, unless you want some income/business perks.

Although, I am curious, my mother said I was registered as Roman Catholic, thus if I can only marry once in a Catholic church. I'm not certain if this is true/still practiced? I believe the only excuse was to get the Pope's permission. But if I'm personally atheist, would this still apply [or does the registration conflict with this]?
Yumeji-San

I'm not certain if you can marry someone after abandoning another marriage (without divorce). But, it wouldn't make much of a difference. A ring isn't going to physically bring them back. A marriage certificate isn't going to keep them true to you. I guess I just see marriage as something pointless, unless you want some income/business perks.

Although, I am curious, my mother said I was registered as Roman Catholic, thus if I can only marry once in a Catholic church. I'm not certain if this is true/still practiced? I believe the only excuse was to get the Pope's permission. But if I'm personally atheist, would this still apply [or does the registration conflict with this]?

You can marry again if you get a divorce from a previous marriage. You have to (be divorced, have possesion of a decree absolute) by law or it counts as bigamy, which is illegal.

I think your mother is right. Most churches will let you marry in them once but it is up to the individual church. Some have no problem with re-marrying, some will turn you away.

If you are athiest then I wouldn't think about a church wedding. It's a little hypocritical to marry in the "House of God" when you don't believe in him and some churches will request that you are a regular church goer sometime before your wedding. If that makes sense....
My parents are divorced and its the best thing that ever happened to my mum. My dad used to verbally abuse us all and now we have gotten away from him life is getting better again. The problem is they probably should'nt have got married in the first place. They never reallly loved each other that much... Then again, I wouldnt exist if they were never together.

It is a delicate subject, and i agree with some of the others in this forum that it all depends on circumstances. I think people should think more carefully before they get married.
If you make a mistake then yeah of corse you should correct it.
I am against it, but why should you go on if the love isnt there?
Seras Akenehi
I am against it, but why should you go on if the love isnt there?

May I ask, why are you against it?
if you'd get beaten up whilist youre married... why not get a divorce? I dont see why anyone would stay on to get beaten up or when they do not love each other anymore..
i am very anti against it.... i mean, if you get married, you made the choice to be with that person, and you should stay with them
pendragonbooks
i am very anti against it.... i mean, if you get married, you made the choice to be with that person, and you should stay with them

What if one of you cheats? What if your husband beats you? What if you just don't love eachother anymore? Do you really think it's fair to force couples like that to stay together?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff