Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Lunatic

8,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
I stopped eating meat in February, which amazes even me, as I used to eat meat at every meal. Chicken, hamburgers and pork chops were my favorite, then suddenly I just couldn't take anymore of that stuff. I've cut out all meats and eggs, as well as most dairy products. I'm not completely veganm though; my coat is mad eof wool, and there's some leather in my shoes. I don't really feel that different, though; I have lost some weight, but it could be a coincidence. In my refrigerator you find mostly vegetables and in the pantry there are potatoes and whole grain bread. All my food is pretty slow cooked, you know, when I don't make a peanut butter sandwich, and as a result, my appetite is reduced as there are very few additives and no trace of my old nemesis; MSG. I stand by my choice and hope that I'll benefit from it when I get old, although there will be no hard feelings if I go back to eating meat again. I don't even miss meat, so I don't think it'll happen. After leading a vegetarian lifestyle for a couple of years I may even go vegan.

Not long ago I was at a farm, and I saw a sheep butt head with another sheep to start a fight. It stopped and stared at the other for several moments, repeated, and repeated again before the other sheep realized the message the first was trying to convey; so I don't blame our ancestors, or any people living today for considering sheep food. It's not the meat itself that's a problem, it's how animal farming is a drain on natural resources. It's not the killing part either; not as much as how the animals are treated while they're alive. Did anyone say "free-range chickens"? Please...

The biggest problem with being a vegetarian so far is, well, bad customer service, and the ignorance of certain people. To some vegetarianism is frowned upon and seen as having a fixed proximity to hippies, or worse, PETA. I was at a cafe the other day, and there were no vegetarian alternatives available among the sandwiches/bagels, so I asked the girl behind the counter if I could have a bagel with only lettuce and tomatoes, because I was a vegetarian. She just stared at me as if I was nuts and said: "Can't you just scrape the mayo off and take off the ham?"
Makes me wonder if vegetarianism will ever be a fully understood concept...

Muscular Counselor

11,200 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Millionaire 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
CulixVonCupric
Discuss: Do you eat meat? Why or why not? How do you feel about eating meat? Is it wrong? Is there a line? if so, where is it? Should people eat meat?

ok, here's my opinion: It depends no the person, and there is no right answer, it's a matter of morals and choice. I eat meat because I have a high metabolism, and my body-type requires a lot of hemoglobin and protein. I eat beef, pork, ham, chicken, fish, shellfish. on occasion i will eat eggs, venison, turkey, and other meats. For me, it's a matter of health, not morals.
I can agree with that. Not because I am a meat eater, but the fact that everyone's bodies are built differently. We cannot all be on the same diet.

1,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
The Catfish Blues
Nyan_Derek
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Nyan_Derek
I eat any kind of meat. At all. Yet I'm a liberal. I just see it as wasting valuable meat by not eating it. Unless it's for religious reasons. I still believe it's wasting, but I respect that a little more.
Not eating meat reduces demand which would technically reduce the amount of meat wasted overall long term.

There aren't enough vegans/vegetarians to put a dent in the demand. If there are, I'd like to know. I don't care, anyway. As long as I get mine. XD
there are, 5% of the UK is vegetarian for example, thats quite a big market, and then there is India...

World-wide, yes. But I'm only familiar with America, considering I haven't lived anywhere else.

Greedy Giver

Hell yes I eat meat, and fiercly proud of it. I don't know why people would want to not eat meat, but if that's thei lifestyle w/e, and I have heard plenty of reasons for it and none of them have made any sense to me.

I raise animals for food, I've had all sorts, they live happy, healthy lives and are fed a wide range of foods and I think all that makes them better for eating. I also get meat from a local farm who raise their animals by the same principals I do. The animals I eat DO NOT SUFFER, so not eating meat for animal welfare reasons make no sense to me. I know what factory farms do and I don't agree with it so I don't get my food from them, plain and simple. Going bat-s**t insaine and saying "WELL I'M JUST NOT GOING TO EAT ANY MEAT OR ANIMAL PRODUCTS ANYMORE!" Just sounds kinda like the irrational rambling of a woman pmsing or something.

I also don't understand the people who eat meat because they love it and say s**t like "I can't eat that because it has a face on it!" Or "you can eat an animal after you name it!" That's just dumb. Naming the animals I eat means I can better thank them as I'm eating them, its respectful. Not all of the animals I raise for meat get names, but they all get my respect.

I think if people are going to eat meat then they should take responcibilty for it, and of they don't than maybe they should just stop eating meat, but I have yet to hear someone say that is the reason they became a vegitarian/vegan.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I eat meat. Delicious. Go team omnivore.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff