Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Meat is tasty, meat is sweet. Meat is what I want to eat
It's tasty. I'm aware it's selfish and that many sources of meat are inefficient in terms of food production but I'm also not altruistic enough to care.

Aged Lunatic

In my house, a meal aint' a meal unless you got meat somewhere.

Mostly fish and poultry here, and I got a fat self compiled cookbook of comfort cookin to do with em, starring a mean bourbon chicken and, if I do say so, some of the best fish and chips you'll find this side of the UK. Beef and pork are less frequent, but never unwelcome.

Aged Lunatic

Suicidesoldier#1
chainmailleman
CulixVonCupric
Discuss: Do you eat meat? Why or why not? How do you feel about eating meat? Is it wrong? Is there a line? if so, where is it? Should people eat meat?

ok, here's my opinion: It depends no the person, and there is no right answer, it's a matter of morals and choice. I eat meat because I have a high metabolism, and my body-type requires a lot of hemoglobin and protein. I eat beef, pork, ham, chicken, fish, shellfish. on occasion i will eat eggs, venison, turkey, and other meats. For me, it's a matter of health, not morals.

I don't like the taste of deer out here in the Rockies. It tastes like sagebrush.

I eat anything but dog, cat, and human. Everything else is fair game.

What of dolphins?

And insects?

Not sure if dolphin is good eatin.

But insects, with a light batter coating and deep fried, are quite delectable IMO. I still remember eating fried worms and grasshoppers a few years back, kinda like eating deep fried clams but crunchier...

Fanatical Zealot

GunsmithKitten
Suicidesoldier#1
chainmailleman
CulixVonCupric
Discuss: Do you eat meat? Why or why not? How do you feel about eating meat? Is it wrong? Is there a line? if so, where is it? Should people eat meat?

ok, here's my opinion: It depends no the person, and there is no right answer, it's a matter of morals and choice. I eat meat because I have a high metabolism, and my body-type requires a lot of hemoglobin and protein. I eat beef, pork, ham, chicken, fish, shellfish. on occasion i will eat eggs, venison, turkey, and other meats. For me, it's a matter of health, not morals.

I don't like the taste of deer out here in the Rockies. It tastes like sagebrush.

What of dolphins?

And insects?

But insects, with a light batter coating and deep fried, are quite delectable IMO. I still remember eating fried worms and grasshoppers a few years back, kinda like eating deep fried clams but crunchier...

Insects have toxins in them.

They have to be removed to eat in any considerable degree, generally it leaves them testing bitter. O_o

Maybe they were specially raised.

I know worms generally have too much dirt and bacteria in them to be eaten normally. xp

Chatty Conversationalist

8,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
meat good, tree bad, fire pretty.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Suicidesoldier#1
GunsmithKitten
Suicidesoldier#1
chainmailleman
CulixVonCupric

What of dolphins?

And insects?

They have to be removed to eat in any considerable degree, generally it leaves them testing bitter. O_o

I know worms generally have too much dirt and bacteria in them to be eaten normally. xp

insects actually don't, as a rule, have appreciable toxin contents. live meal worms can be pretty good, with the right Gagh recipe
I'm an on and off vegetarian, to exercise self control. Unfortunately, I have really bad reactions to the lack of proteins (I've tried shakes and practically inhaling quinoa.. Nothing truly is as effective as the natural proteins in bugs and animals), and my back will start breaking out, and sometimes I'll get hives. I've found that eating meat for one month after going three months without can prevent any negative reactions, but then everyone I talk to about it thinks I'm a complete poser.

I'm in no way against eating meat. Animal cruelty is, of course, horrible, but there are ways of consuming meat that don't involve fattened up cows trapped in boxes their whole lives. Hunting, buying from real free range farms, etc.
I eat meat. I enjoy eating meat and will continue to do so. If people don't want to eat meat that is up to them. People should be free to make their own choices.

What I don't like is when people try and force their views on to others. If you're a vegan or veggie and don't eat meat then that is your choice. However, don't try and tell me I'm a bad person for eating meat. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but don't try and force it in people's faces.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all veggies/vegans are like that. I've got friends who don't eat meat and they don't try and 'convert' me. However, there are a small minority of people who do try and force their views on to others. Now I applaud their passion for their beliefs but forcing those beliefs on others is not the right thing to do. It is also not going to get people to change their views.

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Yes, I eat meat. I enjoy the taste of it, the smell of it, and so on. I prefer free-range farmers so then I know that the animal it comes from is not being treated poorly, but this is not always possible due to my personal budget - meat of that sort isn't always cheap and easy to get hold of. I've nothing against people who choose not to eat meat, I just don't like the push, preachy attitude that some seemed to possess.

Fanatical Zealot

Keltoi Samurai
Suicidesoldier#1
GunsmithKitten
Suicidesoldier#1
chainmailleman
CulixVonCupric

What of dolphins?

And insects?

insects actually don't, as a rule, have appreciable toxin contents. live meal worms can be pretty good, with the right Gagh recipe

Insects have poop in them. You'd have to remove a lot of their organs not to eat them- like all animals, eating the guts with the meat can be a bad idea, as it can infect the meat.

As well, the exoskeleton is made of calcium carbonate and chitin, which while hard to ingest can actually cause significant toxicity in any large amounts- plus, sclerotin, like found in most hard exoskeleton insects (practically all of them) is fairly toxic in it's own accord. That, coupled with poisons they're often filled with to deter predators (without our digestive systems adapted to consume them) and their ability to "live" or move even after technical death (head removed, heart stopped) makes them difficult to eat.

Many more have toxins in them that they use to deter other insects. Fine for us, but if we ate a lot of them it would be bad.

As well, many of them carry disease and stuff. Even under the right circumstances isolating the right level of protein is hard.

But, the shells are used in strawberry flavored Starbucks coffee. So in the right applications it can be fine.

Chatty Conversationalist

8,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
cerisestarlet
I eat meat. I enjoy eating meat and will continue to do so. If people don't want to eat meat that is up to them. People should be free to make their own choices.

What I don't like is when people try and force their views on to others. If you're a vegan or veggie and don't eat meat then that is your choice. However, don't try and tell me I'm a bad person for eating meat. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but don't try and force it in people's faces.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all veggies/vegans are like that. I've got friends who don't eat meat and they don't try and 'convert' me. However, there are a small minority of people who do try and force their views on to others. Now I applaud their passion for their beliefs but forcing those beliefs on others is not the right thing to do. It is also not going to get people to change their views.

How do you react when vegans do try to 'convert' you?
CulixVonCupric
cerisestarlet

How do you react when vegans do try to 'convert' you?

I just say how we are all entitled to our own views and that it is my choice to eat meat. If people wont shut up though then I will just walk away. I'm not one of those people that will start preaching back about how good it is to eat meat. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their own views on food and should have the choice to eat meat if they want or not eat it if they don't want.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff