Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

chainmailleman
Suicidesoldier#1
chainmailleman
CulixVonCupric
Discuss: Do you eat meat? Why or why not? How do you feel about eating meat? Is it wrong? Is there a line? if so, where is it? Should people eat meat?

ok, here's my opinion: It depends no the person, and there is no right answer, it's a matter of morals and choice. I eat meat because I have a high metabolism, and my body-type requires a lot of hemoglobin and protein. I eat beef, pork, ham, chicken, fish, shellfish. on occasion i will eat eggs, venison, turkey, and other meats. For me, it's a matter of health, not morals.

I don't like the taste of deer out here in the Rockies. It tastes like sagebrush.

I eat anything but dog, cat, and human. Everything else is fair game.

What of dolphins?

And insects?

I heard of a report that Dolphins regularly are caught and packaged with Tuna so cross that off.

And occasionally I like those "cricket lick it" suckers with the crickets in them. I don't like the scorpions, but the meal worms are tasty.

User Image

Fanatical Zealot

The Sky Does Not Bow
Suicidesoldier#1
A high BMI is awesome.

People are just silly these days.

A high BMI is not awesome what are you smoking

Ham. ninja

And turkey.

Can't forget that Turkey.

And some plastic spoons.

Quotable Conversationalist

4,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
If I don't eat meat for a while, I don't feel as healthy and energetic as I usually do. It's as simple as that.

My selection of meat isn't very wide though. It's the classic beef, pork and chicken for me. Sometimes turkey and fish, but not very often.

My friend lives out in the country and knows someone who owns a farm where they get meat as humanely as possible. The animals live free, happy lives until they are killed, and when it is done my friend will basically get the whole animal. She's going to start giving me half of whatever she gets, and because I'm not a big eater, I can have enough meat to last me for several weeks in the freezer from one animal that has to be killed.

No more of the "legs from this chicken, thigh from another" stuff you get at the grocery store. Fresh, "organic", humanely raised meat that tastes so much better than the store-bought stuff. Can't wait~

Fanatical Zealot

You question the validity of meat, and then you wonder why aliens always want to abduct our cows.

For shame.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I'm very much a meat eater. Raised on a dairy and beef ranch.
One of my daughter's is vegetarian.
Over time I've come to eat less meat than I used to. For my body type though I think some meat is necessary. If I go too long without meat I start to really crave it and all the veggies and cheese and nuts and soy I can stuff down don't satisfy it. These days I try to be a better consumer of meat though. I use it a lot in stir frys and things like that to spread it out and increase the veggie to meat ratio.

Some folks seem to do okay long term without meat and others don't. One friend of mine is a licensed dietician. She went vegetarian for four years and finally had to go back to meat once or twice a week because she was not getting enough protein to stay healthy. Some folks seem to do okay. I believe it depends partly on your body chemistry and there isn't a one size fits all answer. I don't have a moral problem with killing an animal for consumption. I'm against killing for fun. At least for me anyway because I don't find that fun.

Chatty Conversationalist

8,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Suicidesoldier#1
You question the validity of meat, and then you wonder why aliens always want to abduct our cows.

For shame.
That's kinda funny. lol

Fanatical Zealot

CulixVonCupric
Suicidesoldier#1

For shame.
That's kinda funny. lol

lol xp

Aged Lunatic

I eat meat. 3nodding I don't think it's wrong. So long as the animal's killed humanely and there's not anything in the meat that'll kill me. And whether or not someone should is a matter of health I guess. Some people literally can't digest meat. Others NEED it in their diet or they'll die, etc. If you eat it, okay. If you don't, okay.

Rainbow Fatcat

6,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Clambake 200
Discuss: Do you eat meat? Why or why not? How do you feel about eating meat? Is it wrong? Is there a line? if so, where is it? Should people eat meat?

Yes I eat meat. I feel there's nothing wrong with it, although it can gross me out at times. There is a line, people shouldn't OVER eat meat, but they do anyways, the meat industry should be more controlled or better yet, people should be forced to hunt their own food so maybe they'll respect it biggrin (lol). Yes people should eat meat, if you don't I respect that decision of yours SO LONG as said person isn't PREACHING or being rude to people who choose to. People are biologically meant to eat meat though, so when giving up meat the nutrients you would be getting from meat need to be gotten somewhere else. That goes into the question of how do you feel about people not eating meat? I feel that isn't a wise choice unless they are fully informed of the decision they are making, most "vegetarians" I see are only doing it because they feel they are somehow saving something and are following a fad which is freaking retarded. I respect people who honestly don't like meat and don't want to eat it, I am on and off about liking it, but I don't respect people who do it because they think it's cool or are following the veggie fad and belittling people who do eat meat.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Heimdalr
Blind Guardian the 2nd
Heimdalr
I've heard many Americans say that free-range, grass-fed beef tastes bad. I've also heard some of them can no longer digest it, and that it gives them violent diarrhea.

I'm glad to say I've never heard this.

The digestion part I'm not sure myself if I believe. Perhaps the lack of e-coli 0157-H7 somehow upsets the stomach. But Americans generally like the taste of grain-fed beef. I guess because it tastes less like beef.

Where did you here any of this? Most people I know(I'm American) prefer grass fed, free range animals, over grain fed animals. Also, most people I know like the taste of beef. What your saying sounds weird, no offense.

Rainbow Fatcat

6,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Clambake 200
Macaroni Junior
I eat meat. 3nodding I don't think it's wrong. So long as the animal's killed humanely and there's not anything in the meat that'll kill me. And whether or not someone should is a matter of health I guess. Some people literally can't digest meat. Others NEED it in their diet or they'll die, etc. If you eat it, okay. If you don't, okay.

heart

Mega Noob

Love Muffin88
Heimdalr
Blind Guardian the 2nd
Heimdalr
I've heard many Americans say that free-range, grass-fed beef tastes bad. I've also heard some of them can no longer digest it, and that it gives them violent diarrhea.

The digestion part I'm not sure myself if I believe. Perhaps the lack of e-coli 0157-H7 somehow upsets the stomach. But Americans generally like the taste of grain-fed beef. I guess because it tastes less like beef.

Where did you here any of this? Most people I know(I'm American) prefer grass fed, free range animals, over grain fed animals. Also, most people I know like the taste of beef. What your saying sounds weird, no offense.

The sheer volume of grain-fed beef sold in the US and the grading system that is entirely based on outward appearance (marbling) suggests that corn and grain-finished beef is definitely the more attractive. Various blog posts and chowhound discussions reaffirms this. To be clear, the information is unreliable for a multitude of reasons, firstly because the American agriculture industry is likely to have spread such rumors as propaganda. Secondly, even if it were true on some occasions that the fat in grain-finished beef absorbs more taste from spices and the like, the grass-finished variant has won every blind-test I have seen.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Heimdalr
Love Muffin88
Heimdalr
Blind Guardian the 2nd
Heimdalr

The sheer volume of grain-fed beef sold in the US and the grading system that is entirely based on outward appearance (marbling) suggests that corn and grain-finished beef is definitely the more attractive. Various blog posts and chowhound discussions reaffirms this. To be clear, the information is unreliable for a multitude of reasons, firstly because the American agriculture industry is likely to have spread such rumors as propaganda. Secondly, even if it were true on some occasions that the fat in grain-finished beef absorbs more taste from spices and the like, the grass-finished variant has won every blind-test I have seen.

I guess it sounds kind of odd to me, because the area that I live in is pretty agricultural in a lot of ways. There is a big natural, organic, health scene down here that don't really dig things such as corn or grain fed animals. The whole "A happy cow makes happy meat" thing is the typical mindset. Ever heard of Warren Wilson College? It's a "hippy" college near me that raises cattle and other farm animal, in as peaceful and natural an environment as possible. No "faux" food, as I call it is fed. Neat stuff.

Greedy Consumer

it always gives me bad breath or sticks between my teeth more than anything else. Its salty and usually unhealthy.

But what little I remember of eating buffalo burgers, was that they were sooooooooo awesomeeee.

And generally some meat is healthy, primarily wild animal meat. Like wild salmon is always healthier in most aspects than farmed salmon (only part its not healthier on is the mercury amounts).

Fanatical Zealot

Whow whow whow- you'd rather your meat walked around and cared about s**t before you brutally killed it and ripped off it's muscle to eat?

That's just evil.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces