Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Living Force
tererun the horrifying
The Living Force
tererun the horrifying
OMG you horrible people who like MLP. what the hell is the matter with you showing retarded people acting within the community and no one caring? Certainly you should do what the more enlightened people in this thread want to do and that is to make everyone feel ashamed of their existence and stick them in the basement where no one can see them. We all know they did not want to be born different so since they cannot be the same we should pretend they do not exist. end sarcasm.

Maybe if some people did not freak out every time a different person came around and had to make an issue out of their differences we might be in a better place.

I'm pretty sure we'd prefer more positive representations, not something to be made fun of, like how that new sitcom Work It trivializes and makes a big joke out of transgenderism.

Yes, like I said some people like you would prefer a more positive representaton of the world where different people are not allowed to act in society right alongside regular people with no one making an issue out of it. You would like them to be relegated to the basement and special ed field trips where you feel they belong. I appreciate your twisted and ******** mental point of view, but I do not share it and think it is perfectly fine that MLP showed derpy acting right alongside rainbow dash and no one freaking out about it despite the fact it might have lead to a little more effort on the part of others. Granted that is a sort of fantasy as most people would have whined about how derpy wrecked everything and told her she could not play with the other ponies anymore because she was special, but they chose to show a more pleasant version where the ponies just shook off the problems and went on with life.

Sorry you did not like it.

No, I'm pretty sure I insinuated that I wanted marginalized groups to stop being stereotyped in the mainstream and turned into punchlines and start being treated like actual people.

Nope, you pretty much said we should ignore the reality of their situation and pretend they do not exist. After all, your suggestion that we portray different people like they are just normal people and that they do things the same way with the same result is really just trying to pretend they are like everyone else instead of accepting the fact they are different and getting over it. Really, what does that tell people outside the norm? It tells them that they should strive to be something they are not because it makes others feel uncomfortable and when they are unpresentable we should just put them in a corner and pretend they do not exist in society. Then we can make up all the fantasies we want that the different people are just like everyone else and do things the exact same way so people like you are not disturbed by their differences.

That is nice and all and if you want to pretend a retard is not a retard that is your choice, but I do not see that as the problem of the retard. It is society that is in need of correction on how they deal with things out of what is considered the norm. What happens is as we present people with things that are different they become used to their existence and for a lot of people the problems go away. When we make a big issue out of it and hide the different people then we get staring, awkwardness, people saying stupid s**t, laughter, and all sorts of other ways people ******** up in situations they have never been forced to handle because difference has never been forced upon them.

grow the ******** up and stop being afraid of different people.
The Living Force
IronySandwich
The Living Force

Which is not to say they did it on purpose, but rather that they were either oblivious to it or didn't think it was a problem. Either way, there was problem, it didn't get fixed, and it aired.

It's one thing to take note when someone actually is playing to a negative stereotype, and another thing entirely to forcibly interpret something as playing to a negative stereotype when it is not.

Derpy is obviously just playing to the "Goofy" style character, the well-meaning but hopelessly clumsy sort that is. For you to call that sort of character "retarded" is something you are doing and, frankly, it's offensive.

It is not forcibly interpreting anything. I was in special ed classes. I know how people treat kids in them. I've lived it. Don't give me that horse s**t.

How exactly is that relevant? I put an argument forth, and instead of dealing with it you bring up some completely beside-the-point bullshit, probably in an attempt to earn sympathy or whatever. I'm not buying it. The patterns you see simply weren't there. They are only being placed there by holier-than-thou types like yourself so you can make yourselves feel all accomplished.

Like I said, if it were genuine stereotyping that would be different, but going out of your way to feel "offended" is stupid, and it's disrespectful to both those you're offended at and those you're offended for.
tererun the horrifying
The Living Force
tererun the horrifying
The Living Force
tererun the horrifying
OMG you horrible people who like MLP. what the hell is the matter with you showing retarded people acting within the community and no one caring? Certainly you should do what the more enlightened people in this thread want to do and that is to make everyone feel ashamed of their existence and stick them in the basement where no one can see them. We all know they did not want to be born different so since they cannot be the same we should pretend they do not exist. end sarcasm.

Maybe if some people did not freak out every time a different person came around and had to make an issue out of their differences we might be in a better place.

I'm pretty sure we'd prefer more positive representations, not something to be made fun of, like how that new sitcom Work It trivializes and makes a big joke out of transgenderism.

Yes, like I said some people like you would prefer a more positive representaton of the world where different people are not allowed to act in society right alongside regular people with no one making an issue out of it. You would like them to be relegated to the basement and special ed field trips where you feel they belong. I appreciate your twisted and ******** mental point of view, but I do not share it and think it is perfectly fine that MLP showed derpy acting right alongside rainbow dash and no one freaking out about it despite the fact it might have lead to a little more effort on the part of others. Granted that is a sort of fantasy as most people would have whined about how derpy wrecked everything and told her she could not play with the other ponies anymore because she was special, but they chose to show a more pleasant version where the ponies just shook off the problems and went on with life.

No, I'm pretty sure I insinuated that I wanted marginalized groups to stop being stereotyped in the mainstream and turned into punchlines and start being treated like actual people.

Nope, you pretty much said we should ignore the reality of their situation and pretend they do not exist. After all, your suggestion that we portray different people like they are just normal people and that they do things the same way with the same result is really just trying to pretend they are like everyone else instead of accepting the fact they are different and getting over it. Really, what does that tell people outside the norm? It tells them that they should strive to be something they are not because it makes others feel uncomfortable and when they are unpresentable we should just put them in a corner and pretend they do not exist in society. Then we can make up all the fantasies we want that the different people are just like everyone else and do things the exact same way so people like you are not disturbed by their differences.

That is nice and all and if you want to pretend a retard is not a retard that is your choice, but I do not see that as the problem of the retard. It is society that is in need of correction on how they deal with things out of what is considered the norm. What happens is as we present people with things that are different they become used to their existence and for a lot of people the problems go away. When we make a big issue out of it and hide the different people then we get staring, awkwardness, people saying stupid s**t, laughter, and all sorts of other ways people ******** up in situations they have never been forced to handle because difference has never been forced upon them.

Them being different does not mean we should portray them in such a way so as to be the punchlines of our jokes. That is my point. That is not putting them in the basement or any other analogy you'd like to level at me. It is requesting respect for people who have long been denied it.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Living Force

So just for clarification, are you against the way Derpy is portrayed, or the character herself?

'Cause at least to me, you're coming off as sort of "anti-fun". Like the kind of person that would throw an ACLU shitfit over this joke: "What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs laying in front of your front door? Mat." 'cause it could be deemed "offensive" to those with no arms or legs.
The Living Force
tererun the horrifying
The Living Force
tererun the horrifying
The Living Force
tererun the horrifying

Them being different does not mean we should portray them in such a way so as to be the punchlines of our jokes. That is my point. That is not putting them in the basement or any other analogy you'd like to level at me. It is requesting respect for people who have long been denied it.

I think you might want to watch the show. It is a comedy and every other pony has been the punchline of jokes. It is not like it has only happened to derpy.

You are one of those sensitive people who needs to get the ******** over themselves and pull the god damned stick out of their a**. Quit being a ********. No really, quit being a ******** and pull the damned stick out.

Dedicated Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
You know what? That was the first thing I thought when the character was presented.

*How will the retarded community take this!?*

And thus began a huge thought process that made me realize, THIS CHARACTER IS LIBERATING FOR RETARDED PEOPLE.

Think about it, making retards cute and innocent. DERPY should be the NEW word instead of Retard.

In fact from this point forward I shall call all retarded people Derpy as an affectionate term of endearment NOT as an insult.

Dapper Hunter

4,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
as a new mlp fan who joined the herd from that very episode, my initial impression of derpy and rainbow dash were a couple tomboy pegasi with 1 of them a total klutz. how come derpy gets all the flames and yet similar characters from other shows who happen 2 b male get a free pass? confused
The Fans decided her name was Derpy.

The fans decided she's stupid.

Now, there's outrage? This is what you guys ASKED FOR.

Besides, nobody gives a s**t about Snips?

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Matt Pniewski
The Fans decided her name was Derpy.

The fans decided she's stupid.

Now, there's outrage? This is what you guys ASKED FOR.

Besides, nobody gives a s**t about Snips?

Apparently it's the non-brony community throwing the shitfit.

For of the unhappyness from the bronies is directed at the voice and seemingly over-stupid personality. I think most wanted the klutzy but intelligent and well meaning Derpy.
Silvia Crow
Yeah yeah, I'm really late on this, but it beats digging a 100x40x100 hole in Minecraft.

So yeah, an episode back in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the animation team recognized the fan character "Derpy Hooves" as canon, even giving her a speaking role. Here's the scene.

1. Whoah, you're making a thread not relating to right wing politics? smile

2. The only modern meme word catchprase I hate more than "...REALLY?" is
"DERP"

3. I didn't see any special needs thing going on. Just seemed like an immature kid

4. Hopefully it wont be long before My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic , dubstep and kardashian/jersey shore is gone/buried/looked at with shame and embarassment.
Rose die Valkyrie
"Derp" and any derivations of it do not relate to people with mental handicaps.

It's meant to imply stupidity in a non-handicapped person.

Though it is kinda weird how Derpy sounds like a stereotypical deaf person for some reason.

Yeah, that was the one thing I was going to say that makes it sound to me that the special needs community might have a fair claim to make.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
pockybot
Silvia Crow
Yeah yeah, I'm really late on this, but it beats digging a 100x40x100 hole in Minecraft.

So yeah, an episode back in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the animation team recognized the fan character "Derpy Hooves" as canon, even giving her a speaking role. Here's the scene.

"DERP"

3. I didn't see any special needs thing going on. Just seemed like an immature kid

4. Hopefully it wont be long before My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic , dubstep and kardashian/jersey shore is gone/buried/looked at with shame and embarassment.

1. Amazing, I know. Though truthfully I side with the Libertarians more than the right-wing. Or at least I like how they think.

2. What about all the variations of the word "Bro" (Brony included)?

4. Well all things considered, MLP isn't that bad compared to the rest that you listed. The lesser evil, as it were. The (rabid) fans make it bad for people to be honest.

7,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Anyone who feels offended by Derpy, needs to get out more. Seriously. rolleyes
Silvia Crow
pockybot
Silvia Crow

"DERP"

1. Amazing, I know. Though truthfully I side with the Libertarians more than the right-wing. Or at least I like how they think.

4. Well all things considered, MLP isn't that bad compared to the rest that you listed. The lesser evil, as it were. The (rabid) fans make it bad for people to be honest.

1. Haha, it's cool. s**t, a large portion of my posts in the last 9 years here could be described as "left wing/fringe conspiracy politic/social issue" threads. I actually kind of feel sorry for the GOP this year. I don't even think the GOP has their heart in it anymore. I also feel bad for the handful of liberals who think Obama is on their side

2. Well the word bro, the modern slang term for tough guy/fratboy/jock, pretty much describes the culture that permeates a lot of 2012. It's the same lineage as the rap rock fratboys of the late 1990s. The "sup bro" culture is pretty much everywhere in America. People can call me a stupid hipster, but bro culture is all about starting fights, being lame and dumbing things down.
Bronies I see as more part 4chan meme/part geek subculture and not at all related to bros who would hate that stuff

4. Oh MLP isnt offensive or bad...its just annoying to see EVERYONE on the internet using macro images and memes derived from the show or appropriated onto the show.

I also hate Angry Birds, Adelle, and many other super mainstream pop culture phenomenons

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
pockybot
Silvia Crow
pockybot
Silvia Crow

"DERP"

1. Haha, it's cool. s**t, a large portion of my posts in the last 9 years here could be described as "left wing/fringe conspiracy politic/social issue" threads. I actually kind of feel sorry for the GOP this year. I don't even think the GOP has their heart in it anymore. I also feel bad for the handful of liberals who think Obama is on their side

2. Well the word bro, the modern slang term for tough guy/fratboy/jock, pretty much describes the culture that permeates a lot of 2012. It's the same lineage as the rap rock fratboys of the late 1990s. The "sup bro" culture is pretty much everywhere in America. People can call me a stupid hipster, but bro culture is all about starting fights, being lame and dumbing things down.
Bronies I see as more part 4chan meme/part geek subculture and not at all related to bros who would hate that stuff

4. Oh MLP isnt offensive or bad...its just annoying to see EVERYONE on the internet using macro images and memes derived from the show or appropriated onto the show.

I also hate Angry Birds, Adelle, and many other super mainstream pop culture phenomenons

1. Yeah, there's not really anyone running this year that I'd vote for on either side of the aisle. Hopefully the Gov from New Mexico gets on the Texas ballot. I like his policies. Gary Johnson.

2. Well like with all words (including Bro and Derp), there are times and places in which they can be used without it being....well...annoying. It's just that everyone uses them. Like "Rad" and "Tubular" and such from the 80's/90's. Well not really, but...yeah.

4. You gotta admit though that MLP does have some pretty good reaction expressions. They're overused, but the sheer number of them from the show alone is pretty impressive. And it's genuinely funny at times. Case in point:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff