Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Keltoi Samurai
washu_2004
Irish Jesus
In war, the advantages of Depleted Uranium munitions are many. However many people oppose its use.

The United States and its NATO allies maintain that Depleted Uranium dust (a by-product) doesn't cause cancer and birth defects, however, 136 countries are citing other research saying that it does.

Which side do you think is right?

What I think?

I think you copy pasted your entire post, oh and you missed a line...

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1081492-Depleted-Uranium-Ammunition

besides as has been pointed out there, The evidence of DU dust being a carcinogen is pretty conclusive.

moreso than lead? if you check some of the sources here, you'll find evidence the chemical toxicity is actually lower than several other heavy metals, and DU is used to shield people from radioactive exposure, which seems a bizarre use for a dangerously radioactive substance, does it not?

You will find that when DU is used in this way is as a core of a laminate with a protective coating on its outermost layers.

Once these outermost layers are broken it is not used for that purpose and is disposed of appropriately. (I took a peek at the bill for disposal of the spent radium from an x-ray machine at the hospital and let me tell you it is not cheap.)

Tipsy Prophet

7,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
washu_2004
Irish Jesus
In war, the advantages of Depleted Uranium munitions are many. However many people oppose its use.

The United States and its NATO allies maintain that Depleted Uranium dust (a by-product) doesn't cause cancer and birth defects, however, 136 countries are citing other research saying that it does.

What I think?

besides as has been pointed out there, The evidence of DU dust being a carcinogen is pretty conclusive.
The exact same post is going to be all over different forums, and probably multiple times in some. There's a specific motivation behind it.

Mega Noob

Irish Jesus
washu_2004
Irish Jesus

What I think?

The exact same post is going to be all over different forums, and probably multiple times in some. There's a specific motivation behind it.

Goddamn it it's not homework help I hope?
Inconsistent With Reality
The problem is first and foremost that it is nuclear waste, the damaging sort often represented in media as that glowing green goo that comes in barrels. If we cared about the future we would deposit it deep into the Earth, not in the bodies and property of people who just happened to stand in the way. But then again I suppose giving the enemy population a rash of birth defects and radiation poisoning is a tactical advantage in and of itself.
I support using it in space. Against hostile alien empires. That s**t's so dense, fire that through a rail or coilgun and you will wreck their day so hard.

Mega Noob

The Living Force
The problem is first and foremost that it is nuclear waste, the damaging sort often represented in media as that glowing green goo that comes in barrels. If we cared about the future we would deposit it deep into the Earth, not in the bodies and property of people who just happened to stand in the way. But then again I suppose giving the enemy population a rash of birth defects and radiation poisoning is a tactical advantage in and of itself.
I support using it in space. Against hostile alien empires. That s**t's so dense, fire that through a rail or coilgun and you will wreck their day so hard.

Military space stations should be fair game. Although I assume we'll be using ferrous slugs when drag and gravity is of little concern.
The Living Force

Military space stations should be fair game. Although I assume we'll be using ferrous slugs when drag and gravity is of little concern.
BEST LINK EVER. That's my favorite part of that game. Well, no, that's not true. My favorite's overhearing that Salarian father and his Asari daughter talking about the gift he wants to get her. EYES GET BLEARY. Games need more ambient life like that.

Mega Noob

The Living Force
The Living Force

BEST LINK EVER. That's my favorite part of that game. Well, no, that's not true. My favorite's overhearing that Salarian father and his Asari daughter talking about the gift he wants to get her. EYES GET BLEARY. Games need more ambient life like that.

I do appreciate the little details, lore has a direct effect on dopamine levels. They really get to show creativity in that part of a game.
The Living Force
The Living Force

I do appreciate the little details, lore has a direct effect on dopamine levels. They really get to show creativity in that part of a game.
Yeah. For some reason it's the sad stuff that speaks to me the most.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Eloquent Streaker

You know, I'm wondering if depleted uranium is really that much better of a kinetic penetrator than tungsten carbide.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Requiem in Mortis
You know, I'm wondering if depleted uranium is really that much better of a kinetic penetrator than tungsten carbide.

I already asked that, and it is
Depleted Uranium rounds are used for their armor piercing qualities. They're generally used in aircraft guns for anti-vehicle purposes. It's not like soldiers on the ground are loading DU 5.56 rounds into their M4 carbines.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff