Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Declawing your cat or a big cat is the process of removing it's claws from it's paws, front or back, sometimes both. It's highly controversial and not many veterinarians practice it because it is a time-consuming procedure.

The actual procedure is the following with different techniques, but the same result.

"You have to remove the claw, and you have to remove the little piece of bone that the claw grows from. If you don’t, the claw will try to grow back.

The less you remove, the better, and that’s where the differences in techniques come in. The way cats are normally declawed, there’s an instrument with a sliding blade, almost like a guillotine, and it cuts a straight line through the joint between that little piece of bone and the next piece of bone, which is much bigger.

When you do that, right underneath that is the pad, and you actually cut that right in half too. So it’s like cutting the tip of your finger off."

I just wanted to bold that, so those of you who don't own cats or understand their anatomy that declawing a cat is not like cutting OUR fingernails. Our fingernails do not grow from the bone like cats do.

"They should call it 'de-toeing,' because that's really what it is — an amputation of the third phalanx," said Denver veterinarian Aubrey Lavizzo, who is leading the local PAW Project effort to make declawing illegal in Colorado.

Many people are against this practice saying it is wrong to remove the cat's claws because they were born that way and should remain that way. Others oppose it because they feel that it is for the owner's benefit and not the cat's, as in, it is scratching and being destructive. Others feel that the potential complications such as arthritis, joint stiffness, pain, post-surgical complications, litter box problems, biting and, even, death (always a small chance with any surgery) outweigh the benefits. Lameness is also a concern as a cat rests a lot of weight on it's pads and the claws in the pad support them. It's basically like removing a toe for them. An estimated 20 - 25% of the domestic cat population is declawed in the United States.

Reasons why some people choose to declaw their cats are: "to protect furniture or other property, they don't want to try to train the cat, their other cat is declawed,to stop the cat from scratching them,their friend's or neighbor's cat is declawed and they have always had declawed cats". There are good medical reasons why a cat should be declawed, such as "medically, sometimes you have to remove a claw if the claw is damaged beyond repair or if it has a tumor.

Sometimes it’s also trauma to the owners. There are people whose immune systems are suppressed or the elderly on blood thinners who can’t be exposed to the bacteria on a cat’s claws."

Personally, I would never choose to declaw any cat unless necessary. It is a not a routine medical surgery and if you can't deal with a cat's need to scratch or accommodate it in your home, then it shouldn't be the cat to pay for your poor choices. A cat being destructive, scratching you and so on, is no excuse to remove one of it's primary weapons. I believe this to be harmful for a cat if it were to end up on the streets. Without claws, it only has teeth and cats are fairly low on the food chain when not in our homes. I believe that most behavioral problems associated with scratching you or furniture could be solved by setting the cat on a play - feeding schedule. Unless it's medically necessary, we shouldn't remove it's claws.

Also, there are alternatives that are much more humane to the animal. One is to trim the cat's nails like you would a dogs. It's very easy to do and reduces the damage done. Another is cat nail caps, which at Pet Smart, is 15 bucks compared to $100 - $500 declawing procedures. The cat nail caps simply slip over the cat's nails, preventing them from scratching you. If you can't put them on, you could probably take it to a groomer or vet and have them put them on. Problem solved!

For larger cats, simply don't get in their cage. It's as plain as that. If you don't want a wild animal clawing your face and killing you, don't get in their cage.

So, EDers, what do you think? Would you declaw your cat? Why or why not?

Also, for those of you who donate to charities, if you feel this is wrong, here's a charity that repairs the paws of big cats who have been declawed. Just so you know~

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Silent Mule Man
If you're trying to take care of a pet and your solution to a problem posed by the pet is to have it mutilated, then you should probably just forego having the pet.
My thoughts exactly~

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I have a cat, Houdini (Houdi for short).

He has been my cat for the guts of eight years.

He was in a lot of fights before we got him neutered and was frequently coming home seriously bloodied so we were glad to get that done.

Two years ago, he lost an eye to a fight. But the vet told us it was a choice between surgical removal of the eye and termination. I responded that that was not a choice. Within a week, he was his usual (earnestly) charming self. He was no more clumsy than he had previously been.

I find the thought of someone declawing him provokes feelings of anger and hostility. In fact, I find the idea that someone would declaw any cat for any non medical reason to do it, but only on a rarified intellectual level.

Get. A. ********. Scratching. Post.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Silent Mule Man
If you're trying to take care of a pet and your solution to a problem posed by the pet is to have it mutilated, then you should probably just forego having the pet.

THIS. A thousand times.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
No , claws are a natural part of a cat and it seriously handicaps a cat to have their claws removed , cats are natural climbers and they use their claws every day for this.

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
It makes me happy to see people saying this is wrong. heart

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
declawing is wrong, period

Anxious Hero

My cats arent declawed, Its a horrid thing to do, and shall never be declawed if I have a say talk2hand ...
Like what is the point of having a cat if you are going to mutilate it lol

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
This thread warms my heart.

cat_4laugh
I have a cat. Her name is Prudence (Prue). My mother has a dog that she doesn't always get along with. Were they to get in a fight she would be defenseless without her claws.
Anyone who thinks that is worth not having the furniture scratched occasionally should check their priorities.
Can't say I'd be for it.

I gotta think there is a way to train a cat to stop whatever bad claw-related behavior its doing.
Either get a scratching post or buy a stuffed animal. You do not declaw a cat.

Smitten Kitten

28,775 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
Now, I've never had a cat declawed and I don't plan on it, but I feel the need to play devil's advocate, given that some situations are not quite black and white. As aforementioned, there is the option of the nail caps which wouldn't be so bad, although I will fully confess that I have not a clue how to go about putting them on/how they work.

Personally, I don't begrudge people who do declaw their cats, unless it's for a reason like 's/he is clawing the furniture'. That's a reason that's pretty selfish and full of bull.

To those saying 'get a scratching post', it's not always just a matter of the cat scratching furniture rather than a post, and it can be tedious getting them to use said post. Cats are stubborn animals when it comes to their habits and not bending to your will. You have to use reverse psychology and a lot of positive reinforcement at times and even then, they'll still tend to scratch furniture. Sure, they'll typically stop if you notice and make a small fuss, but if they're mad at you for any dumb reason, they won't give a flying ********.

Again, just playing devil's advocate, I do not 100% condone declawing of pets, but if it's an indoor cat, for instance, it's not as bad. Most indoor cats have less need for their claws, outside of jumping to high places, which you can make easier by creating smaller jumps/paths for them to reach said high places.
But unless the situation is right, I find declawing to be rather cruel. But, it's one of those things, at least in my mind, that isn't quite black and white. There's a small grey area.
For some reason circumcision pops into my mind.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff