Welcome to Gaia! ::

Raestlin
First of all the problems with false convictions are irrelevant because those lie with the judicial system and not the sentencing.

Justify this.
Marios
NOTE TO ALL POSTERS ON THIS THREAD:

I will be Ashton's moderator when he is unavailable. If I see you posting things unrelated to this topic, or not as a response to another person's comment, you will be warned. We have the ability to ban people from this thread; do not make us use it. Follow the topic, and there should be no problems. Thanks!

~Arianna
Lepid0ptera
JeuneFille
WashiChiisai
My stance ....

and a agreement with my stance ....

There is no risk of them escaping, nor is there any risk the of them getting out on parole. That's why it's called LWOP- Life without parole.

You are also a bit naive of how effective our judicial system is. States which have just legal systems where the rates of wrongful conviction are the lowest do NOT have the death penalty. It's a bit of a Catch-22, isn't it.

Yes, it is a bit of a Catch-22, but LWOP isn't always given. Many times parole is a condition with the sentencing. I'll admit - I am naive, I haven't put an incredible amount of research into this - and I posted my opinion, not the facts. But I have known many cases in happyland Utah, where a murderer is sent to prison, with parole, gets out, and suddenly more people end up dead because of him - or at least, supposedly dead because of him. There have also been a few escapes of the same sort.

I live next to a prison - I hate it. A lot of the time I work with the prisoners, and in general, I don't always feel safe. However, a lot of them have somewhat better lives than I would expect. They aren't murderers, true, but they are criminals. Jail seems more of a luxury to a lot of them.

Go figure.
I'm half half. I believe mass killers should have the death penalty. But otherwise no. They can make mistakes (VERY RARELY but they still can) and kill an innocent person.
WashiChiisai
Lepid0ptera
JeuneFille
WashiChiisai
My stance ....

There is no risk of them escaping, nor is there any risk the of them getting out on parole. That's why it's called LWOP- Life without parole.

You are also a bit naive of how effective our judicial system is. States which have just legal systems where the rates of wrongful conviction are the lowest do NOT have the death penalty. It's a bit of a Catch-22, isn't it.

Yes, it is a bit of a Catch-22, but LWOP isn't always given. Many times parole is a condition with the sentencing. I'll admit - I am naive, I haven't put an incredible amount of research into this - and I posted my opinion, not the facts. But I have known many cases in happyland Utah, where a murderer is sent to prison, with parole, gets out, and suddenly more people end up dead because of him - or at least, supposedly dead because of him. There have also been a few escapes of the same sort.

I live next to a prison - I hate it. A lot of the time I work with the prisoners, and in general, I don't always feel safe. However, a lot of them have somewhat better lives than I would expect. They aren't murderers, true, but they are criminals. Jail seems more of a luxury to a lot of them.

Go figure.

You are 100% right. I hate the people who say, "Well, in MY state, jail is like this..." HAVE YOU BEEN IN JAIL?! No. You at least live somewhere near and understand what it's like, by working there. I feel you're more qualified than anyone (except perhaps a prisoner, go figure xd ) to explain the luxuries prisoners receive while there.

Haven't any of you heard of the cases in which homeless people break in somewhere just to get arrested and given a roof, three meals, and comfortable lodgings.....oh, sorry, I mean THROWN IN PRISON!!!

Sorry, people who disagree that prisoners have it better than a lot of Americans piss me off. THANK YOU so much for your post!!!! ^^

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
It should be a life for a life, theres way too many people clogging up the prison system as it is. It isn't right either that someone can sit on death row for forty years and basically cheat the death penalty. Our taxes shouldn't go to feeding and caring for murderers. If you kill someone, you gain an express pass to your very own death!

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Arianna_Blackwing
WashiChiisai
Lepid0ptera
JeuneFille
WashiChiisai
My stance ....

Go figure.

You are 100% right. I hate the people who say, "Well, in MY state, jail is like this..." HAVE YOU BEEN IN JAIL?! No. You at least live somewhere near and understand what it's like, by working there. I feel you're more qualified than anyone (except perhaps a prisoner, go figure xd ) to explain the luxuries prisoners receive while there.

Haven't any of you heard of the cases in which homeless people break in somewhere just to get arrested and given a roof, three meals, and comfortable lodgings.....oh, sorry, I mean THROWN IN PRISON!!!

Sorry, people who disagree that prisoners have it better than a lot of Americans piss me off. THANK YOU so much for your post!!!! ^^

Exactly, prisoners get a bed, a roof and three square meals, which is a lot better than plenty of people out there who actually have to work for their living. Why are our taxes going to support the overcrowded prison system?
Certainly, there's nothing wrong with death penalty.
Well, I won't expect everyone to think of it as humane - because it's not.

But you have to pay for the life of the person that you just killed.
Capitol Punishment all depends on the situation, if someone falls asleep at the wheel and hits and kills someone crossing the street, obviously they don't deserve to die, but if you kidnap, torture, and rape someone for a month and then kill them slowly, you deserve to die, and I don't care what that says about me.
ieatfood
It isn't right either that someone can sit on death row for forty years and basically cheat the death penalty.

I wanted to mention something about that. Did you know that Scott Peterson is now on Death Row (or is supposed to be anyway)? Well, there are six hundred more people in front of him to be executed, and because of the appeals system, and how many cases are waiting to be filed and/or processed or re-processed, we only execute about one criminal a year from the jail they're holding Peterson. So it is more likely that he'll die in prison, warm and full, rather than alone, terrified, and having to face the sentence he was punished with......that sucks!

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Arianna_Blackwing
ieatfood
It isn't right either that someone can sit on death row for forty years and basically cheat the death penalty.

I wanted to mention something about that. Did you know that Scott Peterson is now on Death Row (or is supposed to be anyway)? Well, there are six hundred more people in front of him to be executed, and because of the appeals system, and how many cases are waiting to be filed and/or processed or re-processed, we only execute about one criminal a year from the jail they're holding Peterson. So it is more likely that he'll die in prison, warm and full, rather than alone, terrified, and having to face the sentence he was punished with......that sucks!

Its so incredibly screwed up, someone can murder their whole family and then rot in a cell on death row for forty years, where is the justice in that?
ieatfood
Arianna_Blackwing
ieatfood

Its so incredibly screwed up, someone can murder their whole family and then rot in a cell on death row for forty years, where is the justice in that?

Well, not his WHOLE family. His mom, his dad, and that Amber chick he was banging are still alive (which brings me to another issue: She KNEW he was married!! Does that disgust you or what???).......*shrugs*
Raven Avenger
Kill them 3nodding

ehh..well we are a very mean and greedy race after all ^^ We should all die!!
I know it sounds really mean and all but I'm just saying...

So kind of you to volunteer.
Marios
JohnnyStorm
Capitol Punishment all depends on the situation, if someone falls asleep at the wheel and hits and kills someone crossing the street, obviously they don't deserve to die, but if you kidnap, torture, and rape someone for a month and then kill them slowly, you deserve to die, and I don't care what that says about me.

It says you're a moron. It's not about being 'tough on crime' and 'punishing the guilty'. These things are _never_ going to be that clear.
Sounds to me that, if I want to bump someone off, I should use a car and say 'I fell asleep, sorry officer, but I am a good man'.
Marios
WashiChiisai
However, a lot of them have somewhat better lives than I would expect. They aren't murderers, true, but they are criminals. Jail seems more of a luxury to a lot of them.Go figure.

(1) If the prisoners would be worse off outside prison, then you have to go and ask some serious questions about the society you live in. If you're in a first world country, how do you justify having an underclass that is worse off than prison? It's not about your prisons being too kind, it's about your underclass living in your s**t.
(2) So, what, you want them to suffer in prison - because hurting people makes them into better people? If so, shouldn't this idea be extended to schools to prevent kids becoming criminals?
Marios

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces