Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adrian Mailenna
Jamie Davenport
Personally, if they ever made it mandatory for both women and men, id leave the country. I don't think anyone should be forced to enter a war and kill others.

Neither do I, but we're really powerless, as individuals, to do anything about it. We can leave, yes, but think about this: the military will need X number of warm, fighting bodies, and it'll just keep rolling through the draft cards until it gets enough. That leaves the people who don't have the resources to leave the country.

When you leave, you shove someone else, who wouldn't normally be drafted, into the slot you left behind. Very possibly, that person may be injured or killed as a consequence. Are you really willing to live with that?
truthfully? i'm fully prepared and willing to live with that. I'm not really a big fan of about 98.7% of poeple in today's society.
The draft hasn't been reinstated which IS a good thing.
Jamie Davenport
Adrian Mailenna

When you leave, you shove someone else, who wouldn't normally be drafted, into the slot you left behind. Very possibly, that person may be injured or killed as a consequence. Are you really willing to live with that?
truthfully? i'm fully prepared and willing to live with that. I'm not really a big fan of about 98.7% of poeple in today's society.

That's your choice, I guess. What if the guy sent in your place is one of those 1.3%, though?

Me, I'm not a big fan of most people in the world, really, and there is the argument that you might wind up killing someone anyway. But isn't there something to be said for having the decency not to kill by proxy?
Illumina Braska
, neither do I, but it ruffles my feathers the wrong way that men are required to do it and not women. It doesn't seem fair.

I don't like war at all, but I think things should be equal. I mean, what if my fiance was drafted? I'd probably join to be with him, or leave the country for Canada. I don't think it's fair that there is such a burden hanging over him, while I don't have the same problem.
I totally agree, and for the record, I am female.

No one at all should ever have to fight in a war when they don't want to. However, if we're going to draft men, we must draft women too. If we are to ever be equal to men, we must share in the burdens and the benefits.

While it is true that women still are not totally equal when it comes to the benefits, guys still have their share of the burdens--the Selective Service and father's rights come to mind. We must stamp out inequities like this if we are ever going to fix the problem of sexism in this country.
Adrian Mailenna
Jamie Davenport
Adrian Mailenna

That's your choice, I guess. What if the guy sent in your place is one of those 1.3%, though?

Me, I'm not a big fan of most people in the world, really, and there is the argument that you might wind up killing someone anyway. But isn't there something to be said for having the decency not to kill by proxy?
the 1.3 is dispensable as well, just not as easily as the 98.7. truthfully decency doesn't concern me either. you should probably know that my doctors have ruled me born without a conscience, some sort of chemical imbalance at birth.
Sending women to fight in Iraq is much different than sending men to fight in Iraq.
Go ahead, draft women to fight in Europe, but definately not for the Middle East.
ShebaKT
Sending women to fight in Iraq is much different than sending men to fight in Iraq.
Go ahead, draft women to fight in Europe, but definately not for the Middle East.

Yeah, that sort of thing probably would make us very few friends. =/

Jamie Davenport
the 1.3 is dispensable as well, just not as easily as the 98.7. truthfully decency doesn't concern me either. you should probably know that my doctors have ruled me born without a conscience, some sort of chemical imbalance at birth.

Interesting. Does that make you more than human, or less?
Lelas
No one at all should ever have to fight in a war when they don't want to.

Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, and FDR would disagree.

Paul I
Adrian Mailenna
ShebaKT

Yeah, that sort of thing probably would make us very few friends. =/

Jamie Davenport

Interesting. Does that make you more than human, or less?
depends on what you define as human, i'm human genetically, but if your talking as to what humans have the capability to comprehend as far as emotions go, then probably less.

7,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
satan_scat_bebop
Jamie Davenport
I don't think anyone should be forced to enter a war and kill others.
it's called being a conciencious objector.

(Galactic War breaks out)

Bender: I'm not goin! I'm a conscientious objector!
Fry: A what?
Bender: You know, a coward.
The selective service... to keep tabs on males just in caes the draft is reinstated
Illumina Braska
I think that selective sservice should apply to women, too. We can't have equality if we're not equal in all things, including military service. It makes me very mad, even though I'm not in any way inclined to join the military.
speak for yourself... if you want to be enlisted in the military ... go enlist..i don't think anyone should be forced into miltary slavery
Oh no the draft....seeing as I'm joining the airforce as a chaplain I couldnt give a flying ********! xd but to put it simply yeah it sucks but hey any politician who suggests the draft is commiting political suicide end of story (unless we're getting invaded)
Ndiyah
Illumina Braska
I think that selective sservice should apply to women, too. We can't have equality if we're not equal in all things, including military service. It makes me very mad, even though I'm not in any way inclined to join the military.
speak for yourself... if you want to be enlisted in the military ... go enlist..i don't think anyone should be forced into miltary slavery

Selective Service is not Enlisting. In fact, Enlistment by its very nature is unforced.

If you want complete equality, you must either decide that Women should not be allowed into the Military, or that they should be eligible for the Draft. Can't have it both ways.

Paul
Yhoshua
Oh no the draft....seeing as I'm joining the airforce as a chaplain I couldnt give a flying ********! xd but to put it simply yeah it sucks but hey any politician who suggests the draft is commiting political suicide end of story (unless we're getting invaded)
auactually, i somewhat support reinstating the draft. if we were the ones being shipped off, we'd get a ******** of a lot more politically active when talk of war came around.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff