Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Laeluu
Personally, people who just buy to be part of a trend, etc drives be insane. But, if they're just wearing it because they think it looks cool, that's fine by me. It's how you wear it and who you are. If the clothes are controlling your personality? Well...that's a little TOO much. sweatdrop

Amen. I discovered Hot Topic when I was sixteen, at first simply because they were the only people around with anime (by which I mean Sailor Moon) merchandise. Then I bought a dress there for a dance and I was hooked. I've never ever considered myself a goth, I just like how some of the stuff looks.

I think all the "True Goths" know better than to go shopping there. Like someone else said, a lot of them make their own clothes or find them somewhere else. Hot Topic just realized a lot of kids like following the Woe Is Me trend, and set up a store.

Never heard of the hippie clothes store though. We don't have that here.
Hence the reason that I avoid the mall at almost all costs. It drives me insane to see people butchering subcultures for the mainstream. What kids don't realize is that so many of them are proclaiming the same kind of supposed non-conformity. It makes them all conformists. It also takes away the beauties and ideals previously held by said subcultures. Industry is killing everything.
I completely agree with you. The idea of individualism has been lost due to the conformity of the idea. No one is themselves anymore, because the idea of "themselves" has been conformed.
Highschoolers feel the need to fit into a certain category. And they also feel the need to fit in, even if it is into the "sub culture" which is now the primary culture. In fact, it seems everyone is "angsty, unappreciated *insert drastic childhood experience*, etc."
They are all trying to stand out, while blending in with the other people who are just as angsty and s**t like them.
And you say America is a great country! -.O
This is a great example to show it is, although I myself have never been there.
The only time I went into Hot Topic was to get some AC/DC shirts and a Invader Zim boxset.

It took me an hour to rinse out all the angst.
*impression of everyone in my school* what is this... cult... ure... cult ure? a cult? holy s**t... *runs away*
god-forbid
*impression of everyone in my school* what is this... cult... ure... cult ure? a cult? holy s**t... *runs away*

That's part of what I was getting at. The irony. I mean, these kids don't seem to understand what it is that they're doing, nor do they see through "the scam" of mass marketing subculture-specifc items.

Especially the irony of Hot Topic - thier shirts emblazened with sayings like "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same." To which I respond: "Really? Have you actually looked around this mall lately?"

And I'll admit to having bought things or thought about buying things from Hot Topic - but it's either been costume components or that snappy Legend of Zelda Tee set. I never did buy anything from Habitat, though. They always have insense burning in the store (and I appeciate being able to breathe when I shop) and carry almost nothing in the way of menswear.

Tipsy Prophet

Hey I like Hot Topic. It's for people who think of themselves as individuals. Or whatever. xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff