Welcome to Gaia! ::

What are you talking about? Its been mentioned multiple times in the bible.

Luke 8:31
New International Version (NIV)
31 And they begged Jesus repeatedly not to order them to go into the Abyss.

Revelation 9:1
The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss.
Tranquil Surrogate
I always thought it most logical that black holes would be somehow connected the Big Bang. All light and matter that falls into a black hole disappears, never to be seen again; the Big Bang was when a colossal amount of energy seemingly appeared from out of nowhere. Could it not be that all mass is eventually channeled into black holes, and when the mass reaches a certain point of density it explodes as another Big Bang?

When something falls into a black hole, the black hole gets heavier [or lighter if that something happened to be half of a virtual pair]; it does not simply vanish from the universe. As for black holes exploding, they should do that if they evaporate as Hawking radiation suggest they will, but their lifetime is significantly longer than the current age of the universe and everything ends up back in this universe.
Amy Reinvented
NIEM0
Besides, much of what scientists spout about outer space is either based on theories and educated guesses (anything beyond the solar system, including black holes) or outright fabrications (going to the moon).

Awwww, I was all ready to actually respond to your post until I got to this part. Please see Doubtful Dreamer's post for further details on why I can't take you seriously.

I was taught all of the same drivel that you were in public schools and then some. Since you actually did bother to respond to my post anyway I was hoping you would at least provide some evidence or explain why you believe I am wrong other than, "lol u too dumb to understand my scientific mind". If I am wrong, why do you rather choose to insult me than enlighten me? Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself... I dunno. Who am I to judge?

Perhaps you should do your own research without simply relying on what other "scientists" conclude. Can't do that? Then at the very least you should know how and what kind of methods these scientists go through to come to their conclusions instead of just taking their word for it and acting like it makes you intelligent. It is no better than a Christian who listens to their pastor's interpretation of the word of God rather than searching themselves.

And by the way, I never completely denied the existence of "black holes" or even their presumed function. However, it is unlikely that we will ever truly comprehend the vastness and purpose of the universe. From a biblical perspective (keeping in line with the OP's question), it can be concluded that God created everything for a purpose including that which is on earth and the heavens. We will never understand why everything is the way it is, even if we know a little about it.
NIEM0
I was taught all of the same drivel that you were in public schools and then some. Since you actually did bother to respond to my post anyway I was hoping you would at least provide some evidence or explain why you believe I am wrong other than, "lol u too dumb to understand my scientific mind". If I am wrong, why do you rather choose to insult me than enlighten me? Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself... I dunno. Who am I to judge?

I said that you do not appear to understand the scientific method and are thus not suited for critique of scientific findings. If you want observations regarding what you are saying, the moon landing is rather demonstrable through the existence of the reflectors placed there by the astronauts as well as the samples that they returned which have isotope ratios different from Earth samples. As for evidence regarding things outside of the solar system, observational astronomy is a rather advanced field providing things like direct observation of the supermassive black holes at the center of the galaxy through the effects of the even horizon on its accretion disk and its plasma jets.

Quote:
Perhaps you should do your own research without simply relying on what other "scientists" conclude. Can't do that? Then at the very least you should know how and what kind of methods these scientists go through to come to their conclusions instead of just taking their word for it and acting like it makes you intelligent. It is no better than a Christian who listens to their pastor's interpretation of the word of God rather than searching themselves.

Claiming that science does not work while using a device which was developed via the scientific method [seriously, modern computers exist because we came up with the band theory of solids] strikes me as ridiculous, just for the record.

Anyways, the evidence for cosmology and high energy particle physics [and a great deal from condensed matter and mathematical as well] is rather easily available on the e-print archives [arxiv.org] and anyone can go read the papers.

Quote:
And by the way, I never completely denied the existence of "black holes" or even their presumed function. However, it is unlikely that we will ever truly comprehend the vastness and purpose of the universe. From a biblical perspective (keeping in line with the OP's question), it can be concluded that God created everything for a purpose including that which is on earth and the heavens. We will never understand why everything is the way it is, even if we know a little about it.

This I do not entirely disagree with, but the sentiment is rather lacking from your original post from what I remember.

Friendly Fairy

NIEM0

I wasn't insulting you, I was merely saying that I can't take you seriously after you claimed that the moon landing was faked. Like DD pointed out, there is stuff on the moon that was placed there by humanity and which you can actually see from Earth. I would say that the likelihood of astronauts actually landing on the moon and putting stuff there is far greater than the likelihood that corrupt governments are perpetrating a mass illusion to fool the entire rest of humanity. Since you were the one who made the extraordinary claim, the burden of proof was on you to demonstrate why you think the moon landing was a load of hooey; it's not on me to prove that you're wrong.

Quote:

I don't think I like your implication that I have not looked into this myself. Obviously I am not a career scientist with access to laboratories and equipment and government funding, so I can't exactly "do my own research" in that sense. However, I have read extensively about many aspects of science (both in books published by casual science writers, and in peer-reviewed journals) and feel confident in the conclusions I have drawn. This is how science actually works. If several different people are all able to get the same results, then those results are probably pretty close to the truth. If some evidence comes along to prove that either black holes are nothing like we understand them, or to prove that the moon landings were hoaxes, and that evidence is actually sound, then I will change my viewpoint. Until then, however, I will continue to believe what these scientists have said. I understand full well how they do things and what their methods are.

Quote:

You may indeed be correct about this. There may be limits to science and the human mind, limits to our understanding that we can never surpass and thus never truly understand the universe for what it is. But I don't think so. I'm optimistic about science and what it has to tell us about the way things are.
Perhaps God likes black holes.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I'd like to guess that black holes keep the universe rotating, makes the spiral legs in galaxies and whatnot... maybe the black holes are interspersed to keep everything together, to keep the cycles going. But what do I know? :p

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Avgvsto
Tranquil Surrogate
that we are not even at the center of.

seems difficult to prove

Color me surprised if our Solar System actually is smack-dab in the center of the Universe.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Phallic Wonderland
I'd like to guess that black holes keep the universe rotating, makes the spiral legs in galaxies and whatnot... maybe the black holes are interspersed to keep everything together, to keep the cycles going. But what do I know? :p

The scariest black holes to think about are rogue black holes. gonk
Ontological Empiricism
Avgvsto
Tranquil Surrogate

seems difficult to prove

Color me surprised if our Solar System actually is smack-dab in the center of the Universe.

Well, the universe doesn't have a center. At least if the WMAP data and density measurements are to be believed.
Doubtful Dreamer
Ontological Empiricism
Avgvsto
Tranquil Surrogate

seems difficult to prove

Well, the universe doesn't have a center. At least if the WMAP data and density measurements are to be believed.

I see no reason not to.
Black holes are the whirlpools of space. And if the oceans of the earth contain whirlpools, then why not space?

If you don't question why God invented whirlpools, then why question why he invented black holes?

Edit: Also, the correct term for "black hole" is actually "space whirlpool."
to explain it would require a set of assumptions you lack the capacity to comprehend.
Jigger_Of_Octane

Luke 8:31: Jesus came across a man who had demons in him that didn't want to be sentenced to "the Abyss" (a place of temporary confinement before God delivers his judgement), so Jesus sent the demons into some nearby pigs that went and drowned themselves. It's got nothing to do with black holes.

Quote:
The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss.
Again, "the Abyss" is a kind of limbo where spirits are held before they are judged before God. It's completely unrelated to black holes.
Tranquil Surrogate
Jigger_Of_Octane

Luke 8:31: Jesus came across a man who had demons in him that didn't want to be sentenced to "the Abyss" (a place of temporary confinement before God delivers his judgement), so Jesus sent the demons into some nearby pigs that went and drowned themselves. It's got nothing to do with black holes.

Quote:
Again, "the Abyss" is a kind of limbo where spirits are held before they are judged before God. It's completely unrelated to black holes.

Whos to say that the black hole isnt the place where God puts the spirits before the were judged.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff