Welcome to Gaia! ::

Right now the most popular criticism of creationism seems to be evolution because, obviously, it is the most brazenly challenging theory. But creationism implies that God created far more than just what we see on the earth. Stars, planets, galaxies, nebulae, neutron stars, galactic nuclei... An incomprehensibly large universe that we are not even at the center of.

16:4 says "The Lord hath made everything for his own purpose" or some s**t, but seriously... black holes? Regions where gravity is so intense that the very fabric of space-time is crushed?

What possible reason could God have to create such a thing?
Tranquil Surrogate
Right now the most popular criticism of creationism seems to be evolution because, obviously, it is the most brazenly challenging theory. But creationism implies that God created far more than just what we see on the earth. Stars, planets, galaxies, nebulae, neutron stars, galactic nuclei... An incomprehensibly large universe that we are not even at the center of.

16:4 says "The Lord hath made everything for his own purpose" or some s**t, but seriously... black holes? Regions where gravity is so intense that the very fabric of space-time is crushed?

That's a good question. I know it is not biblically addressed. Then again, I can't see why it would be. Arguably, from the creationist view, it could be as a reminder of God's power over our own. That is until we develop a way to contain or alter them, but that's at least centuries away I suspect. Creationists don't favor functionality over religious ideals. But I for one would like to hear if anyone has at least an educated guess as to why God would have made them. Then again, they could just be natural consequence of that which already existed, and God simply has no reason to be rid of them.

Fanatical Zealot

Inside each black hole is it's own mini universe.
Rosa the White Wizard
Tranquil Surrogate

That's a good question. I know it is not biblically addressed. Then again, I can't see why it would be. Arguably, from the creationist view, it could be as a reminder of God's power over our own. That is until we develop a way to contain or alter them, but that's at least centuries away I suspect. Creationists don't favor functionality over religious ideals. But I for one would like to hear if anyone has at least an educated guess as to why God would have made them. Then again, they could just be natural consequence of that which already existed, and God simply has no reason to be rid of them.
That's what I thought as well. The argument would be that God would've created all these parameters for the universe (gravity, electromagnetism, nuclear fusion, etc) and phenomena like black holes were just some unintentional consequences. But it still seems unnecessary to create an entire universe full of celestial objects when it's supposedly only one tiny planet that God is even interested in.
Suicidesoldier#1
....Inception style?
Tranquil Surrogate

What possible reason could he have to create the entire rest of the universe? Frankly i have no idea. It does provide some really impressive scenes, though, for example the Orion Nebula

Fanatical Zealot

Tranquil Surrogate
Suicidesoldier#1
....Inception style?

Yes.

PERHAPS OUR GODS HAVE GODS OF THEIR OWN GAH!

IT'S A UNIVERSE INSIDE A UNIVERSE INSIDE A UNIVERSE INFINITELY REPEATING!

OUR TRUE GOD IS INFINITY *head esplodes*

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100
I don't care for creationism, but I can actually argue this one.

Black holes are the centers of gravity that galaxies like our own orbit. This provides a pretty clear purpose, just like the deadly flaming ball of gas we like to call our sun that orbits the nearest super-massive black hole. Without black holes it would make the formation of galaxies impossible.

Devoted Explorer

Trollzors Vader

Black holes are the centers of gravity that galaxies like our own orbit. This provides a pretty clear purpose, just like the deadly flaming ball of gas we like to call our sun that orbits the nearest super-massive black hole. Without black holes it would make the formation of galaxies impossible.
Untrue. A galaxy could form around a star yet to collapse into a supermassive black hole; gravitational forces would be the same either way.

Fanatical Zealot

Major Lima Charlie
Trollzors Vader

Untrue. A galaxy could form around a star yet to collapse into a supermassive black hole; gravitational forces would be the same either way.

Yeah but super massive blackholes are like BILLIONS, sometimes TRILLIONS of times larger than our sun and the largest any object can be is like 20 times the mass of our sun so like, even assuming a million and no blackhole we're talking, the center of a galaxy, unlikely. ._.

Ours is 4.1 million but still, 4 times that, idk. : P

Maybe it's forming.

But even say, 19 times the masses of our sun that's still pretty far away from a super massive black hole ._.

Greedy Consumer

hats liek asking why god makes gunpowder work. only answers u r gonna get is so peopel can create explosions and shoot guns, c'mon how is that intelligent. Only one answer for the question, they have to answer thatw ay, they truely dont understand god at all. Even if they claim to. If he exists, I need to remember polytheism might be more true than mono when I make assumptions, although alot of people only try and prove christians wrong for some reason. Prolly cuz its americans lol.
Suicidesoldier#1
Major Lima Charlie
Trollzors Vader

Yeah but super massive blackholes are like BILLIONS, sometimes TRILLIONS of times larger than our sun and the largest any object can be is like 20 times the mass of our sun so like, even assuming a million and no blackhole we're talking, the center of a galaxy, unlikely. ._.

Maybe it's forming.

But even say, 19 times the masses of our sun that's still pretty far away from a super massive black hole ._.
What are you talking about? The heaviest known star is estimated to have a mass of about 250 solar masses.

Which doesn't make much sense to me, since stars with 1600 sun radii are known, which, if you increase the mass linear, would lead to 4 billion solar masses (volume is cubic to the radius and if density doesn't change so is mass). Oh well ...
Trollzors Vader

Not really true. There are galaxies which do not have super massive black holes, they are just a lot lighter than galaxies that do.

Suicidesoldier#1

Maybe it's forming.

The thing to understand here is that supermassive black holes are a result of the collapse of high density regions in the very, very early universe. They are going to be very large as here would be a lot of mass available for the black hole to form from. At the current time, they aren't really getting any heavier [most stuff that would fall in is carried away in the jets resulting from the magnetic field of the black hole].

The20
Which doesn't make much sense to me, since stars with 1600 sun radii are known, which, if you increase the mass linear, would lead to 4 billion solar masses (volume is cubic to the radius and if density doesn't change so is mass). Oh well ...

It doesn't scale linearly. The radius of the star is determined by its mass and its radiation pressure which will depend on what part of its lifecycle it is in. For example, the sun will expand rather drastically when it begins to burn helium instead of hydrogen, but it will have lost a decent amount of mass over the same time.

Fanatical Zealot

The20
Suicidesoldier#1
Major Lima Charlie
Trollzors Vader

Maybe it's forming.

What are you talking about? The heaviest known star is estimated to have a mass of about 250 solar masses.

As suns' lose mass they become larger, like with red giants; the best way to think about it is that since it's losing gravity and constantly expanding due to it's heat it will expand, and as it expands, it's gravitational "density" so to speak becomes less, which is the only thing holding it together, and it expands even more etc.

Also the suns are like, combined suns, which are actually shedding much of their mass to remain stable.

I mean okay, they exist, but the biggest star R136a1 is thought to have shed about 50 solar masses in the last million years, and it's actually a conglomeration of multiple stars that aren't even technically fused yet, but they ionize the open hydrogen gas between them.

Long for human stand points, but basically it can't exist for very long.

Else it eventually collapses into a blackhole or explodes. : P

Also I mean 120 instead of 20. : P
Until we know EVERYTHING (which we never will), it is pointless to question why God would make things the way it is. The reason that the Bible only bothers with information in regards to our planet earth is because this planet is the one God put us on. He chose this planet for a reason and there is none like it.

Also, the Bible mentions three "heavens". The first heaven being the atmosphere, or the sky. The second heaven is that which we call "outer space". The third heaven is the abode of God -- that which is beyond space and time (another dimension). God did not fail to acknowledge the existence of space, but he didn't tell us much about it because it isn't important to what really matter in life (your spiritual growth). It is my assumption that humans will never understand the universe and we will never make it to another planet in our solar system (let alone another star system or galaxy) as we were created to live on earth.

Besides, much of what scientists spout about outer space is either based on theories and educated guesses (anything beyond the solar system, including black holes) or outright fabrications (going to the moon).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff