Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Lunatic

Riviera de la Mancha

Most people whine about cops essentially just doing their job by arresting and/or citing them for breaking the law. .
It's their job to waste my time and hassle me when I'm actually in the RIGHT, and if they knew the law like it's their job to, they'd have left me alone?
God-The-RapistV2.0
I don't get in trouble with the law and I still think cops are retarded assholes. No one NEEDS to enforce laws, societies do a good job of that all on their own. Look at the experiment they did in Drachten where they removed all of the traffic signs and lights and the amount of accidents decreased. When people are forced to actually think about how their actions effect them and others they spend more time worrying about the consequences. All police do it make it so people think to themselves "Well, that's what the police are for."

And you know how society goes about enforcing its laws? They fund a police force with tax dollars.

And drachten more so stands for the principle that when you force people to always pay attention, they will pay attention. The citizens had no choice but to become more attentive drivers because they no longer had the guarantees that signage provided in terms of the actions of other drivers. It doesn't stand for the proposition that no one needs to enforce any laws at all.

The police serve the much more essential function of legitimizing use of force and exercise of the police power.
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha

Most people whine about cops essentially just doing their job by arresting and/or citing them for breaking the law. .
It's their job to waste my time and hassle me when I'm actually in the RIGHT, and if they knew the law like it's their job to, they'd have left me alone?

I don't get the relevancy of your post at all.

I never suggested cops are perfect. They make mistakes. Big deal - if you are so in the right, you go out and take care of it. People act as if a single mistake is the greatest travesty and the manifestation of pure corruption. Unless you are going to argue it was an intentional effort on the cops' part to discriminate or hassle you, and have an actual basis for that, just show them the same courtesy you show regular people. If I am in a super market and someone says I grabbed their cart, I assume they are mistaken and simply correct them. I don't assume they are trying to personally hassle me as a slight.

Aged Lunatic

Riviera de la Mancha
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha

I never suggested cops are perfect. They make mistakes. Big deal - if you are so in the right, you go out and take care of it. People act as if a single mistake is the greatest travesty and the manifestation of pure corruption. Unless you are going to argue it was an intentional effort on the cops' part to discriminate or hassle you, and have an actual basis for that, just show them the same courtesy you show regular people. If I am in a super market and someone says I grabbed their cart, I assume they are mistaken and simply correct them. I don't assume they are trying to personally hassle me as a slight.

Yea sure. Argue with a cop in this day and age. I LIKE my teeth where they're at, thank you.
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha

Yea sure. Argue with a cop in this day and age. I LIKE my teeth where they're at, thank you.

I have done it more than once in my life, and I still have a beautiful set of pearly whites. Probably because I don't argue with cops. I have a conversation with them and exercise my rights as a citizen.

Aged Lunatic

Riviera de la Mancha
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha

I have done it more than once in my life, and I still have a beautiful set of pearly whites. Probably because I don't argue with cops. I have a conversation with them and exercise my rights as a citizen.

Cops will drop you just for looking at them wrong. No. I'm treating them like large armed people who can legally wreck my s**t for almost any reason and that means not telling them that they're wrong....
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha

Cops will drop you just for looking at them wrong. No. I'm treating them like large armed people who can legally wreck my s**t for almost any reason and that means not telling them that they're wrong....

At best, that link only says that SOME cops will use questionable force on you. That's of course assuming that I even think the link presents a case of excessive or unwarranted force. The kid certainly didn't help the situation at all. He should have explained he was just playing with his friend, and if the cops said to stop the horseplay, he should have said, "Alright officer, I will." Problem solved. What does he do? He pulls away, clenches his fists, and walks off. Even if he was, as he said, going to lead officers to his mom, all he had to do was say "Okay, I will take you to my mom. She is over here..."

You are free to do as you wish. Its just that actions like that only further the problem, as some cops will only continue to think their scope of power is broader than it is, as citizens who have this irrational fear continue to not exercise their rights and continue to give police a basis for their actions.

People would do well to remember that the attitude you approach situations with has more of an affect than you realize.
Riviera de la Mancha

At best, that link only says that SOME cops will use questionable force on you.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/2009/06/23/police_shoot_mentally_disabled_man.html

Like when they shoot and kill a mentally handicapped man who is standing on his own driveway?
God-The-RapistV2.0
Riviera de la Mancha

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/2009/06/23/police_shoot_mentally_disabled_man.html

Like when they shoot and kill a mentally handicapped man who is standing on his own driveway?

Cool story bro. Again, at best, that link only proves that SOME cops will use questionable force on you. Again, not to say that I even agree that the link is proof-positive of excessive force. The only concrete information it gives is that there was an altercation between the man and an officer, who then discharged his weapon. This is corroborated by the only witness in the story, who said she heard officers order the man to get on the ground, and then heard gun shots. Like all media stories, its heavy on sensationalism and drama, but light on facts.

Unless you got some figures demonstrating that 50%+ officers nationwide use excessive force, I am afraid I am not going to bite at the N.W.A.-esque logic.
Riviera de la Mancha
God-The-RapistV2.0
Riviera de la Mancha

Cool story bro. Again, at best, that link only proves that SOME cops will use questionable force on you. Again, not to say that I even agree that the link is proof-positive of excessive force. The only concrete information it gives is that there was an altercation between the man and an officer, who then discharged his weapon. This is corroborated by the only witness in the story, who said she heard officers order the man to get on the ground, and then heard gun shots. Like all media stories, its heavy on sensationalism and drama, but light on facts.

Unless you got some figures demonstrating that 50%+ officers nationwide use excessive force, I am afraid I am not going to bite at the N.W.A.-esque logic.

See, the thing is that I don't actually have to prove that most police use excessive force, only SOME. Hell even if ONE cop kills a person without justification and gets absolutely no repercussion then the system has failed because the system is supposed to stop those people from existing in the first place.

Besides, this is a guy who is mentally ******** handicapped how the hell can you justify killing him at all? Are you trying to tell me that the officers who were on scene were unable to out think someone who is mentally handicapped? What kind of people are we allowing to police us if so?
God-The-RapistV2.0
Riviera de la Mancha
God-The-RapistV2.0
Riviera de la Mancha

See, the thing is that I don't actually have to prove that most police use excessive force, only SOME. Hell even if ONE cop kills a person without justification and gets absolutely no repercussion then the system has failed because the system is supposed to stop those people from existing in the first place.

Besides, this is a guy who is mentally ******** handicapped how the hell can you justify killing him at all? Are you trying to tell me that the officers who were on scene were unable to out think someone who is mentally handicapped? What kind of people are we allowing to police us if so?

Yeah, yeah you actually do kind of have to prove that its more than some. Otherwise, your opinion has no weight, as its just stating the old adage "anything's possible." Hell, I can google tons of videos of wicked injuries from playing Soccer. Does the fact that I find SOME horrible injuries means that game is inherently too dangerous to play and needs to be banned? No - at best, it shows there is SOME risk, not that the risk is so common and so high as to present a basis for getting rid of the sport.

"The system" doesn't stop people willing to abuse their power from existing. No one short of the divine could stop such a thing. Where did you get an idea that 'the system' is supposed to stop generally bad people from existing?

You have no idea what his mental handicap was, or what the situation at the scene was. None of us do. That you ask so many questions only furthers my point on that video; its too speculative, being light on facts, but heavy on drama. There are plenty of fact patterns one can think of, but that's all, as I said, speculation.

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
God-The-RapistV2.0
I don't get in trouble with the law and I still think cops are retarded assholes. No one NEEDS to enforce laws, societies do a good job of that all on their own. Look at the experiment they did in Drachten where they removed all of the traffic signs and lights and the amount of accidents decreased. When people are forced to actually think about how their actions effect them and others they spend more time worrying about the consequences. All police do it make it so people think to themselves "Well, that's what the police are for."

If this were true, then we wouldn't have the need for police in the first place.

Which we clearly do.

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha
GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha

Talking and arguing are two completely different creatures.
Riviera de la Mancha

You have no idea what his mental handicap was,

His name was Doug Minty, he lived with his mother. He was developmentally delayed caused by lack of oxygen and blood flow to his brain during child birth. He lived with his mother, and he was 59 years old when he was shot.

Riviera de la Mancha

or what the situation at the scene was. None of us do.

He had an argument earlier in the evening with a door to door salesman when the police were called, which aggravated the situation, there was an argument between the police and Doug Minty in which he was shot five times, once in the leg, once in the shoulder and three times in the torso. He later died in the hospital.

The reason he was shot? He was holding a two inch pocket knife that was given to him by his brothers.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/11/04/siu_missed_key_questions_after_man_shot_five_times.html
God-The-RapistV2.0
Riviera de la Mancha

You have no idea what his mental handicap was,

His name was Doug Minty, he lived with his mother. He was developmentally delayed caused by lack of oxygen and blood flow to his brain during child birth. He lived with his mother, and he was 59 years old when he was shot.

Riviera de la Mancha

or what the situation at the scene was. None of us do.

He had an argument earlier in the evening with a door to door salesman when the police were called, which aggravated the situation, there was an argument between the police and Doug Minty in which he was shot five times, once in the leg, once in the shoulder and three times in the torso. He later died in the hospital.

The reason he was shot? He was holding a two inch pocket knife that was given to him by his brothers.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/11/04/siu_missed_key_questions_after_man_shot_five_times.html

And how about, for a change of pace, you cite the SEVEN questions the article claims the report which followed STILL did not answer which, the article itself notes, are "KEY QUESTIONS"? That's right: doing so would have gone to supporting my point that the details are incredibly vague about the whole situation. Certainly can't have that, can we?

Ultimately, you can discuss this instance until you are blue in the face. Its all irrelevant because it doesn't establish that a majority of officers, either in Canada or the US, use excessive force. Otherwise, this only amounts to, at best, proof that SOME officers use excessive force.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff