Welcome to Gaia! ::

666_JFoxx_777
Cops are useless for me because I am a minority and im treated as such.
All my protection was confiscated from me by cops apparently its illegal to possess a pocket knife which is legally sold in stores.
They took my dog spray as well and expect me to trust them?
They have never helped me when I was kicked onto the streets left to die while all my stuff was stolen by my ex roommate.
Chalked it down to a domestic dispute that I had to handle it myself.
I even had a gun put to my head by cops and i fear cops more than anything.

This is exactly why I came into this forum.

As a white person I was horrible ignorant to things like this because I personally don't deal with them.

But PoCs are often profiled, treated lesser and 'looked down' upon by cops because of their skin color.

White people don't see that. We don't. We are not victims of the race issues in this society - we just aren't. But when people in the streets can be stopped and searched just because they look suspicious that is ludicrous. Why is that okay?

To the OP, you're right in that people are mad they're getting stopped.

But not because they 'got caught' because a good chunk of the time, the people they stop aren't doing a thing wrong. They are as good citizens as any.

In fact, white people do as much crime as PoCs, we just get off easier because we are privileged.

Police should not be able to just stop anyone on the street because they feel like it. If they are committing wrongdoings or are violating some law, then yes they do need to be stopped.

But to see a person on the street and stop them because 'it looks like they might be doing something bad' is dumb.

This is not to say that ALL cops are going to profile PoCs, because not all will. But a good majority of them will and that is why it's ridiculous.
Chiru-pon
I think it really depends where you're coming from. I lived in poor areas and rich areas and it really depends. I used to live near an extremely ghetto area, and I loved having the police around. Being a young woman and having to walk around late at night (can't afford a car, bus stops running at a certain point), nothing is more relieving than having cops everywhere.

I've also lived in richer areas where the cops really didn't have to do anything. In fact I knew cops that were so bored they'd drive people home that were walking around late at night. Or maybe they were just that nice. Who knows.

Me too, honestly. Although there wasn't such a heavy heavy police presence in my poor neighborhood. There have been, and it was comforting to know they're around though. I mean, there were sketchy people in that neighborhood (registered sex offenders and stuff like that.)

Whereas where I live now is a 'rich' neighborhood so I don't really see police around here unless there is a need. Or if they're driving people home, etc.

Tricky Bunny

14,965 Points
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
  • Simple Romantic 50
  • Doting Romantic 100
Monster of Cookies Rawr
Chiru-pon
I think it really depends where you're coming from. I lived in poor areas and rich areas and it really depends. I used to live near an extremely ghetto area, and I loved having the police around. Being a young woman and having to walk around late at night (can't afford a car, bus stops running at a certain point), nothing is more relieving than having cops everywhere.

I've also lived in richer areas where the cops really didn't have to do anything. In fact I knew cops that were so bored they'd drive people home that were walking around late at night. Or maybe they were just that nice. Who knows.

Me too, honestly. Although there wasn't such a heavy heavy police presence in my poor neighborhood. There have been, and it was comforting to know they're around though. I mean, there were sketchy people in that neighborhood (registered sex offenders and stuff like that.)

Whereas where I live now is a 'rich' neighborhood so I don't really see police around here unless there is a need. Or if they're driving people home, etc.

Yeah in the nicer area that I lived in we generally only had three cops patrolling at any point in time. xD

Like I said, it really depends. It's all about context.
Mister George Kapland
Tactical Leg Sweep
HMS Thunder Child
Tactical Leg Sweep
HMS Thunder Child
[Annoyed]

I didn't come out for or against vigilante justice. All vigilantism is is extrajudicial enforcement of laws, whether held by the state or personal. When the judiciary refuses to legitimately prosecute violations, then it is tantamount to sanction and thus ceases to be vigilantism because it is no longer extrajudicial. Any white person who murdered a black person at that point was an executioner for the state.

Yes you did. All you're doing is trying to white-wash history and say that's not exactly what the ******** you're in support of when you try and support vigilantism. You're back pedaling from it because it's the ugly reality, not the sexy black and white truth you'd like to cling to. Vigilantism in America is a history of Till, and the KKK and racism and bigotry. Pure and simple. So way to be.

They killed Till extrajudiciially in the name of "justice" for an imagine crime, that's ******** vigilantism, no matter how many caveats you try and add to it.
[Amused]

Whitewash. Whitewash. By holding white America accountable for using the justice system, whether through direct or indirect action, to enslave, oppress, and subjugate black people, I am whitewashing history.

There are plenty of examples of shitty vigilantism, moron, and I haven't once denied that. Hell, I've said to you a few times now that I'm not making excuses for vigilantism. But don't use the deaths of black people, supported by the state, as proof that vigilantism is bad. It's bullshit.

Yeah, whitewash, idiot. Learn what the ******** term means. Actually you're not holding d**k accountable. You're blatantly ignoring history. The fact that you didn't even ******** know the specifics of the case when you claimed they didn't prosecute either of Till's murderers, then you're trying to act like you know what the hell you're talking about? Give me a break. Pay attention to what I'm ******** saying. You're white washing the history of VIGILANTISM.

For the upteenth ******** time, it was not supported by the state. Quit ******** repeating that like it makes it any more sense to keep ******** repeating it like an idiot.
Implicating more people, not making apologies for it, and stating that history should own up to it's mistakes Is the opposite of whitewash

And what history of Vigilantism. I'm going to use wikipedia again Emmete Till isn't part of the history of vigilantism. Because it wasn't vigilantism.,, And the trial was a scam.

Except for when the contention was that someone was white-washing the history of vigilantism, which she absolutely was.

Proptip; quoting articles in Wikipedia without any actual logical analysis to back it up is not an argument. First of all just because an event does not show up in a historical Wikipedia article does not mean it didn't happen. Too bad it is well regarded as a part of the history of vigilante justice in the South.

"They were a kind of vigilantism where Southern white men saw themselves as protectors of their way of life and their white women".

From the words of Milam; "As long as I live and can do anything about it, niggers are gonna stay in their place. Niggers ain't gonna vote where I live. If they did, they'd control the government. They ain't gonna go to school with my kids. And when a ****** gets close to mentioning sex with a white woman, he's tired o' livin'. I'm likely to kill him. Me and my folks fought for this country, and we got some rights."

And too bad it doesn't matter if the trial was a pig circus as I've already mentioned, that doesn't change the act itself was vigilantism.

Shy Sophomore

6,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
You may have been watching too much cop shows.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Monster of Cookies Rawr
This is exactly why I came into this forum.

As a white person I was horrible ignorant to things like this because I personally don't deal with them.

But PoCs are often profiled, treated lesser and 'looked down' upon by cops because of their skin color.

White people don't see that. We don't. We are not victims of the race issues in this society - we just aren't. But when people in the streets can be stopped and searched just because they look suspicious that is ludicrous. Why is that okay?

To the OP, you're right in that people are mad they're getting stopped.

But not because they 'got caught' because a good chunk of the time, the people they stop aren't doing a thing wrong. They are as good citizens as any.

In fact, white people do as much crime as PoCs, we just get off easier because we are privileged.

Police should not be able to just stop anyone on the street because they feel like it. If they are committing wrongdoings or are violating some law, then yes they do need to be stopped.

But to see a person on the street and stop them because 'it looks like they might be doing something bad' is dumb.

This is not to say that ALL cops are going to profile PoCs, because not all will. But a good majority of them will and that is why it's ridiculous.

Your heart's in the right place and I appreciate your strong empathy for minority struggles but the White Shaming is really unbecoming, racist, and doesn't actually help "PoC". I heartily encourage your activism but remember that waxing poetic about privilege does nothing but disenfranchise the white people you should be motivating to help. It is very much about attitude.

Hallowed Smoker

Tactical Leg Sweep

Except for when the contention was that someone was white-washing the history of vigilantism, which she absolutely was.

Absolutely not according to your favorite source wikipedia.
Tactical Leg Sweep

Proptip; quoting articles in Wikipedia without any actual logical analysis to back it up is not an argument.
coming from you, that's a damn sight hilarious. But your source doesn't have any logical analysis to back it up either.
Tactical Leg Sweep

First of all just because an event does not show up in a historical Wikipedia article does not mean it didn't happen. Too bad it is well regarded as a part of the history of vigilante justice in the South.

Tactical Leg Sweep

"They were a kind of vigilantism where Southern white men saw themselves as protectors of their way of life and their white women".

Doesn't reference Till's murder. At all in that sentence, section, paragraph, at all. However, the key words are "They were a kind"
Tactical Leg Sweep

From the words of Milam; "As long as I live and can do anything about it, niggers are gonna stay in their place. Niggers ain't gonna vote where I live. If they did, they'd control the government. They ain't gonna go to school with my kids. And when a ****** gets close to mentioning sex with a white woman, he's tired o' livin'. I'm likely to kill him. Me and my folks fought for this country, and we got some rights."

And in the words of everybody who ever lived "Pibes is a moron"
Tactical Leg Sweep

And too bad it doesn't matter if the trial was a pig circus as I've already mentioned, that doesn't change the act itself was vigilantism.

It changes the act into sanctioned vigilantism, which makes it not vigilantism.

Profitable Entrepreneur

I've never agreed with people that use the phrase "******** the police". I love police, personally. I figure if you're not doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about.

Hallowed Smoker

The Knucklehead Ninja
I've never agreed with people that use the phrase "******** the police". I love police, personally. I figure if you're not doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about.

Except for all the people who are innocent who are stopped and harassed by the police. For instance, all the youtube videos of people getting harassed by police for recording them (Fun Fact: It's only illegal in one state to record the police, and that's illinois and only if you don't tell the police you're recording)
Quote:
Absolutely not according to your favorite source wikipedia.

Except it says that nowhere in the Wikipedia article you quoted.

Jog on, little b***h. That's your official new name. Little b***h.

Quote:
coming from you, that's a damn sight hilarious. But your source doesn't have any logical analysis to back it up either.

Yeah, except you're a ******** moron and randomly started copy and pasting s**t from Wikipedia. DUR HUR DOESN'T SAY THAT IN THIS ARTICLE.

Quote:
Doesn't reference Till's murder. At all in that sentence, section, paragraph, at all. However, the key words are "They were a kind"

"When Emmett Till was murdered"
Whoops. Looks like you need to learn how to read, little b***h.

Yes, they were a kind of vigilante. So .. they're vigilantes. Thanks for admitting you're wrong.

Quote:
And in the words of everybody who ever lived "Pibes is a moron"

And in the words of everyone who isn't the imaginary friends you kill what little brain cells you have left doing drugs, "little b***h can't form an argument for s**t."

Quote:
It changes the act into sanctioned vigilantism, which makes it not vigilantism.

Except it doesn't change anything, and the state didn't sanction anything. Keep swinging, little b***h.

Golden Gekko

Agreed. Everyone shows this hatred towards cops, but let's imagine a world without them.

Can you imagine the amount of crime and violence that would surround us daily?

No thank you. Yes, it sucks when you get pulled over. But even imagine if they didn't pull people over. People would be driving dangerously and causing accidents. And these types of accidents wouldn't be little fender-benders, but high fatality ones. And what about DUI's. Yeah they suck, but who wants to live in a city where everyone is driving around drunk?

Laws are around for a reason. It sucks when you caught breaking them, but they are placed in order to provide safety for the community.

Aged Lunatic

thatonechick101

Laws are around for a reason. It sucks when you caught breaking them, but they are placed in order to provide safety for the community.

Then why aren't they required to protect us?

Why aren't they even required to respond to an emergency call?

Golden Gekko

GunsmithKitten
thatonechick101

Then why aren't they required to protect us?

Why aren't they even required to respond to an emergency call?

It depends on the circumstances and jurisdiction laws.
Their funding also keeps decreasing, yet they are supposed to be protecting huge metropolitan cities. As unfortunate as it is, sometimes one emergency isn't a priority to another when they don't have the force to go to both.

Pay attention to the funding bills in your city, and I'm sure you'll see what I mean (:
The argument that we should respect the police because they all us to live in 'order' is stupid--they're not doing this voluntarily and they definitely do not enforce law for the fun of it, it's their JOB.

I will gladly say ******** the police, someone in this topic said there's nothing to worry about if you're living legally.. well, no. I have never been charged with anything in my life, however, any time I am victim of a crime, the cops never do anything about it. In a huge robbery of my friend, I was with him and he was robbed of $800, we both got robbed with knives at our necks and we call the cops, they said they would show up to our place and have a talk with us and get all the information, they didn't even show up for that portion of the crime even though we had ALL the details on the people who commit the crimes. Names, home addresses, etc. Absolutely ******** ridiculous. ******** the police.

Random example that I came across yesterday of a police officer pressuring an autistic teen to purchase pot in order to bust him and consequently ******** up his life: [x]

Though I do agree we can not generalize all police, I'm not saying I hate all the cops but do I trust the organization as a whole? Hell no. Never.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff