Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
Blame your parents if you’re a 20-something who can’t maintain a healthy relationship, researchers say.

People whose parents exerted psychological control on them during their teenage years may have a harder time developing close relationships in their early adulthood, according to a new study.

source

Should we blame parents for unhealthy relationships?

Garbage

Dalek Rusty
Only if it's unhealthy in a manner relating to how the parents acted.

If the parents did their best to raise a fine upstanding Christian young man and the relationship fails because he's super religious, sure, blame the parents. If the parents did their best to raise a fine upstanding Christian young man and the relationship fails because he strangled her autistic brother's new puppy, it's probably not the parents' fault.
i believe you can, somewhat

but in my case i've been a shy person my whole life

but my parents didn't always help and made things worse

actually i might just be shy because of my early early childhood

i was the 2nd born so my parents didn't want to spoil me like the 1st born

and they said they did the 'cry it out technique' w/ me and sent me to daycare @ 6 weeks of age etc

but who knows for certain

i just thought it was funny b/c about a year ago i read that they studied the cry it out technique which many parents follow...and the baby will stop crying but still have that chemical in their bodies that indicates they are under a lot of stress...etc

so lol

Girl-Crazy Lunatic

10,750 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Timid 100
  • Clambake 200
Here's an easy way to tell if you should blame your parents. A few years after leaving your parents' house, look back on your time there. If you have a hard time feeling nostalgic, chances are they ******** you up. emo

Tipsy Smoker

No, go get HELP.
Unreliable news source
All problems are learned in childhood from parents. Blaming parents is useless, understanding how it affects you and what you picked up, without blame, is much healthier attitude.

Garbage

Gothic silk
All problems are learned in childhood from parents.
NNnnnnooooo my gender issues were definitely spawned in my teenage years by other teenagers.
Cassidy Peterson
Gothic silk
All problems are learned in childhood from parents.
NNnnnnooooo my gender issues were definitely spawned in my teenage years by other teenagers.

Emotional problems that are transmittable from parent to child via education.
Take a step further back to the much more prominent issue. Unaccountability. Our society is gearing generations for a life of passing blame for personal decisions and actions. I had crap parents, but at some point, you can't say,"Well, I can't be responsible in full because my parents did this blah blah blah."

We are also having a hard time teaching children to cope with failure. Failure happens, we're human; we're not all going to be successful in every goal we set ourselves to. Heaping false accolades on our younger generations means for a much higher, harder fall when failure does come. But passing blame ties into this, the dangers of too many false accolades tells a child it couldn't possibly be them; Somebody cheated, or the rules were unfair, etc. This passes into other aspects of life, however, not just competition. One can even think they are above the law.

You see, its not just negative (bullying, abusive, hyper-controlling) parenting that can do screw up a child's chances for success, but also overcompensating. Remember that stupid show that was out with the child pageant contestants? A couple of parents heaped so much praise, so man FALSE accolades (negating reality and just trying your best) that when the child ended up losing, they were devastated beyond belief. Had they been aware of the realities and encouraged to just do their best and what happens, happens; the devastation wouldn't have been too far past disappointment.

That whole "You can do anything you set your mind to" gimmick is unrealistic. I'm sorry if that offends someone. But quite honestly, not everyone can be a great cook, and if your child sucks at cooking and has no talent for it, you kind of cut their legs out from under them by lying and saying it is, then the world turns around and slaps the truth across their face. :/

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Dalek Rusty

People whose parents exerted psychological control on them during their teenage years

That's a little vague.
As written, that describes... everyone who still had parents while teenagers.
Dalek Rusty
Quote:
Blame your parents if you’re a 20-something who can’t maintain a healthy relationship, researchers say.

People whose parents exerted psychological control on them during their teenage years may have a harder time developing close relationships in their early adulthood, according to a new study.

source

This reminds me of all of those articles keeping up with the Duggard family. So the story is that mum and dad spent their youths doing whatever the ******** they wanted until they decided to hitch and get the holy ghost a-flowing.

They don't let their kids have free dates, free outfits, or even free places to visit because they're so hot and bothered about suppressing their sexuality, all the while drowning in their own (20+ kids. That is one loose v****a).

So I recently read this story about one of the Duggard daughters being pregnant with her fairly new husband. You just know they got hitched in a hurry so as to unleash the Hiroshima of suppressed sexuality that they were always told to hide by their shitty hypocrites of parents.
SCP-1O6
Dalek Rusty
Quote:

source

This reminds me of all of those articles keeping up with the Duggard family. So the story is that mum and dad spent their youths doing whatever the ******** they wanted until they decided to hitch and get the holy ghost a-flowing.

They don't let their kids have free dates, free outfits, or even free places to visit because they're so hot and bothered about suppressing their sexuality, all the while drowning in their own (20+ kids. That is one loose v****a).

So I recently read this story about one of the Duggard daughters being pregnant with her fairly new husband. You just know they got hitched in a hurry so as to unleash the Hiroshima of suppressed sexuality that they were always told to hide by their shitty hypocrites of parents.

i don't think that's true. they were 21/20 when they married and had kids by the time they were 23/22. then she miscarried one and decided to ~let god decide~ how many kids they would have at age 24/25.

so i don't think they really had too much time to fool around. and they aren't marrying any of their kids as teens or anything.
sitting cow
SCP-1O6
Dalek Rusty
Quote:

source

i don't think that's true. they were 21/20 when they married and had kids by the time they were 23/22. then she miscarried one and decided to ~let god decide~ how many kids they would have at age 24/25.

so i don't think they really had too much time to fool around. and they aren't marrying any of their kids as teens or anything.
User Image
Look into the eyes of the sexual apocalypse.
This is the future you chose.
This is hell.
This is home.
You're home.
SCP-1O6
sitting cow
SCP-1O6
Dalek Rusty
Quote:

source

User Image
Look into the eyes of the sexual apocalypse.
This is the future you chose.
This is hell.
This is home.
You're home.
User Image
"Just enjoying a milkshake... of pure orgasm."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers