It is okay in some circumstances 0.24164524421594 24.2% [ 94 ]
It is okay in special occasions 0.041131105398458 4.1% [ 16 ]
Undecided 0.1413881748072 14.1% [ 55 ]
It is not okay 0.30848329048843 30.8% [ 120 ]
Poll whores are inevitable 0.097686375321337 9.8% [ 38 ]
Total Votes:[ 389 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 >

leloi
In anthropology we discussed inbreeding. One of the main concerns brought up was that it's "anti-social." If it stays IN the family then there's no new fresh blood/outsiders coming into the family. They stay in their own little world away from everyone else... because they have no need for anyone else.

With no new fresh blood recessive traits start to show up in individuals. Examples? Hemophilia in the royal family of Europe. It's recessive but if everyone in the family is recessive then it starts to pop up. The royal family was breeding in a small gene pool, mostly between cousins for a long time.

And it doesn't take one generation of inbreeding to create all the problems... it takes a few for all those problems to pop out. But as said before, it's anti-social. If the practice becomes "accepted and "normal" for a family then there's going to be plenty of problems down the road. It could be a practice passed down. If mom and dad were siblings what's going to stop the next generation from continuing that practice... and the generation after that... and after that?

So it's become a taboo in human society to keep the gene pool fresh and to keep everyone socialized... and with the taboo comes the rumors. Rumors such as "If you do it your child will be severely deformed!" Truth behind that rumor? No... it takes a couple of generations. It even shows up in the Bible... especially Genesis (if you take it literally that Adam and Eve really were the only two humans) and the story of Lot (his daughters got pregnant by him). The generations after them weren't affected by instances of inbreeding.

And just look at dogs. Humans create breeds by using inbreeding. Mating daughter to sire together doesn't create a 5 legged puppy. It just makes the family traits a little stronger. But with all those generations it does create health problems such as heart problems, hip problems, etc.

How nuts, I had the same exact discussion and topic coverage in my anthropology class.
leloi
In anthropology we discussed inbreeding. One of the main concerns brought up was that it's "anti-social." If it stays IN the family then there's no new fresh blood/outsiders coming into the family. They stay in their own little world away from everyone else... because they have no need for anyone else.

With no new fresh blood recessive traits start to show up in individuals. Examples? Hemophilia in the royal family of Europe. It's recessive but if everyone in the family is recessive then it starts to pop up. The royal family was breeding in a small gene pool, mostly between cousins for a long time.

And it doesn't take one generation of inbreeding to create all the problems... it takes a few for all those problems to pop out. But as said before, it's anti-social. If the practice becomes "accepted and "normal" for a family then there's going to be plenty of problems down the road. It could be a practice passed down. If mom and dad were siblings what's going to stop the next generation from continuing that practice... and the generation after that... and after that?

So it's become a taboo in human society to keep the gene pool fresh and to keep everyone socialized... and with the taboo comes the rumors. Rumors such as "If you do it your child will be severely deformed!" Truth behind that rumor? No... it takes a couple of generations. It even shows up in the Bible... especially Genesis (if you take it literally that Adam and Eve really were the only two humans) and the story of Lot (his daughters got pregnant by him). The generations after them weren't affected by instances of inbreeding.

And just look at dogs. Humans create breeds by using inbreeding. Mating daughter to sire together doesn't create a 5 legged puppy. It just makes the family traits a little stronger. But with all those generations it does create health problems such as heart problems, hip problems, etc.

And then there's the fact that incest also makes kinship exchanges systems irrelevent, which completely shits on older economic systems of dowry and bridewealth.
Outrun The Halfling
leloi

How nuts, I had the same exact discussion and topic coverage in my anthropology class.

I guess anthropologists agree. 3nodding
Blind Guardian the 2nd
leloi

And then there's the fact that incest also makes kinship exchanges systems irrelevent, which completely shits on older economic systems of dowry and bridewealth.

Yes... it's just not good for society in general.
to me many forms of incest are wrong (i.e father/daughter, mother/son, brother/sister) however, when it comes to cousins, why not? i mean you are really only like 50% related to them and if you are in love what the heck right? also, as it has been said, there is the chance that "normal" people can produce ******** up kids as well, so there goes that.
Personally, I do not like incest. It makes me very ill to think of myself having feelings for my family in a non-platonic manner. I prefer to seek romantic love outside my family.

But for others... go right ahead.

Fluffy Vampire

9,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
I think some folks here have been watching/reading too much Angel Sanctuary. >_<

There are some things worth debating about, because they are valid concerns. Whether or not incestt is 'okay' is NOT one of them!

Good grief, what's wrong with you people?! Just because something moves doesn't mean you can and should f*ck the living hell out of it!

Sheesh, people! I live in Alabama and WE don't even do crap like this! >_<

Go to a bar or a dance club or hell, an Internet dating site if you are THAT desperate to get laid, for the love of all that's good and right in this world!

Augh, I feel gross just posting in this again..gah.

Fluffy Vampire

9,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
Kentomo
to me many forms of incest are wrong (i.e father/daughter, mother/son, brother/sister) however, when it comes to cousins, why not? i mean you are really only like 50% related to them and if you are in love what the heck right? also, as it has been said, there is the chance that "normal" people can produce ******** up kids as well, so there goes that.

Because there are OTHER PEOPLE WHO YOU ARE NOT RELATED TO IN THE WORLD THAT YOU CAN DATE AND FALL IN LOVE WITH!!!! >__________<

That's why not!

Geez, what does your cousin have that is so special you just can't live without it?! Chocolate-flavored nipples? A candy-cane for a p***s?!

Seriously, wtf..???????
I could personally care less if someone wants to screw their sister. Creepy? Maybe. So just dont tell me about it and we can both be happy.
leloi

The problem is, though, if the original carrier mother outbred, the disease could have just spread into the general population. It might or might not of had a bigger impact.

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/H/hemophilia.html
Tam Li Hua
Because there are OTHER PEOPLE WHO YOU ARE NOT RELATED TO IN THE WORLD THAT YOU CAN DATE AND FALL IN LOVE WITH!!!! >__________<

That's why not!

Geez, what does your cousin have that is so special you just can't live without it?! Chocolate-flavored nipples? A candy-cane for a p***s?!

Seriously, wtf..???????

In some cultures it is preferable to marry a cousin - namely because it keeps wealth within the family.

3,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Tam Li Hua

I want a candy cane p***s and chocolate nipples... emo
The occasional instance of incest, even if it includes producing children, is not a big issue. But as a general taboo it should remain. While inbreeding can be exceeding useful for racing horses, pets and other animals people use, the same does not apply to human beings mostly because of the culls. Any 'good' society would not dispose of the culls, and in fact the culls could end up breeding, which means that the 'bad genes' removed from the breeding stock simply aren't being removed, so there is no benefit to inbreeding in humans.

As for consensual sex which doesn't produce offspring, its a little more complex an issue. If the siblings/cousins/parents did not grow up together (like in the case of adoption or whatever), then its not much different from strangers having sex. But if you grew up in the same household as the other person, there can be emotional issues that could interfere with the ability of one of the parties saying 'no' - and if you can't say no, then you can't consent.
Tam Li Hua
I think some folks here have been watching/reading too much Angel Sanctuary. >_<

Explain.

Tam Li Hua
There are some things worth debating about, because they are valid concerns. Whether or not insect is 'okay' is NOT one of them!

This thread is not about a single insect. Unless it's incest with an insect or two.

Tam Li Hua
Good grief, what's wrong with you people?! Just because something moves doesn't mean you can and should f*ck the living hell out of it!

And just because it's taboo doesn't mean you should or shouldn't do it.

Tam Li Hua
Sheesh, people! I live in Alabama and WE don't even do crap like this! >_<

Your geography is irrelevant.

Tam Li Hua
Go to a bar or a dance club or hell, an Internet dating site if you are THAT desperate to get laid, for the love of all that's good and right in this world!

Prove incestuous couples are desperate or concede.

Tam Li Hua
Augh, I feel gross just posting in this again..gah.

Then GTFO.

Tam Li Hua

So?

Tam Li Hua
That's why not!

Support your statement first.

Tam Li Hua

What does a non-related lover have that is so special that you just can't live without it? Why the ******** should we even have relationships? It should be one night stands all over the place!
MinozakeR
leloi

The problem is, though, if the original carrier mother outbred, the disease could have just spread into the general population. It might or might not of had a bigger impact.

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/H/hemophilia.html

From what I understand it's something that is hidden deep in our genes. It can surface (although it's rare... 18,000 in the whole American population according to your link) into a general populace if a female carrier passes it along to her offspring.

The inbeeding in the monarchy just made it come out a lot easier. A small gene pool means a greater chance of augmenting a flaw so it surfaces. Had the monarchy bred with outside people their chances of getting the flaw probably would have been closer to the rest of the population.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff