Undecided 0.1413881748072 14.1% [ 55 ]
It is not okay 0.30848329048843 30.8% [ 120 ]
Poll whores are inevitable 0.097686375321337 9.8% [ 38 ]
Total Votes:[ 389 ]
1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 >
Consensual Incest and Close-blooded Relationships

I have come to pose the question:

What is wrong with consensual incest?

By consensual, I am talking about any human that has the cognitive ability to fully consent to sex. Not just age of consent.

Common Arguments Against Incest:

"It's nasty!"--Such a point is subjective, therefore, moot.
"It makes deformed babies!"--I will cover this later.
"People who do it are desperate!"--I cannot find any data to back this up.

Inbreeding

Now, some people will inevitably bring up the point that it can produce deformed babies. The problem is that they are probably assuming that all incest couples are fertile heterosexuals that will want to reproduce. However, some points to be made:

1.) Couple may be infertile heterosexuals.
2.) Couple may be homosexuals.
3.) Couple may use protection if they are fertile heterosexuals that wish to remain childless or childfree, or don't want to have another child.
    a.) If pregnancy occurs, abortion may be instituted.
    This is not a debate about abortion. Go to the appropriate thread.
4.) Couple may actually want their own child and procreate. It is virtually impossible to stop.

Another point is that it is impossible to know the absolute chance that deformed children will come from inbreeding, it is also impossible to know the negative genetic effects to happen. I am willing to accept proof that it will result in a high chance of negative effects, empirical or theoretical.

Some sources will equate incest with rape, this thread isn't about rape, please don't make it such.

Angelic Knight has brought some info to my attention:

Angelic Knight
ITZ WROOOOOOOOOONG!! No not really, I actually had something you might find useful:

Inbreeding, while able to produce deformities more often than not, is capable of something far better. Horse ranchers often inbreed their livestock in order to further desireable traits. How you ask? Well when you combine the traits of two closely linked individuals, in this case relatives, you have along with the risk of deformity the possibility of 'doubling up', that is having the desireable trait multiplied twofold because both parents have it. It's commonly used to increase the ability of racing stock. Now granted more often there are deformed babies that are put down, but the ones that survive? Go watch a horse race, those animals are incredibly strong and fast.
So, that being said on the note of deformities, while it is far more common to have deformities, it's also possible to create humans with enhanced physical characteristics. Huzzah.

Searching for a source, I have found this a good source for it so nobody can ask me, "Prove they inbreed".

I doubt people would agree with inbreeding people for enhanced physical characteristics, but then culling the unfit xp But, here you have it, by example, there is a higher deleterious gene rate due to inbreeding. How often of inbreeding, it does not say. How many generations, it does not say (unless I need my eyes checked).

More:

Incest between cousins is proven to be only one to three percent higher than nonincestuous couples:

Joanna L. Grossman wrote:
Quote:
The problem comes in another component of the constitutional analysis -- the "narrow tailoring" requirement, which tests the closeness of the relationship between the state's chosen means and its desired ends. According to the recent report, children of unrelated parents have a 3 percent to 4 percent chance of being born with a serious birth defect. Children of first cousins have only a slighter higher risk--roughly a 4 percent to 7 percent chance. Thus, the ban on cousin marriages will not go very far toward the general problem of preventing birth defects.

Discuss:

-Incest between siblings.
-Incest between parent and child.
-Nothing arguing against abortion, please.

I will edit this from time to time, so please check back every so often. Last update: 2008-03-04
I think its wrong for close-blood relatives of opposite sex to reproduce, thats just plain horrible.

I think a parent/child relationship no matter what age can have some ******** up psychological effects. Imagine if the parent/child's relationship ends, I can't imagine how devastating it must be to get dumped by your own mother.
If it's consensual, then there really is no problem with it. There is some social stigma against it, but...it's their life, they can live it how they want to.
To me, incest is, for the most part, icky.

That said, that is an entirely moot point. Incest is not my cup of tea. However, it might be someone else's, and frankly, that's not any of my business, neither does it affect me in any adverse way.

I voted "Okay in some circumstances", the circumstances being that it is consensual for all participants.

Another point on deformities ocurring in incest- I believe that the chances of children being deformed as a result of incest are not that much higher than chances of deformity in a normal couple. 7% or so, I think, though I'm on another computer right now so I don't have sources. Either way, you could mention this in your original post, if you (or I) can find the stats on it.

Furthermore, there are many people in this world who, despite being entirely unrelated, still have a very high chance of having babies that are severely ******** up. The government, and society as a whole, doesn't try to keep those people from procreating, OR having sex. So that's another point you could mention. 3nodding

8,200 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
From my standpoint.. and what has happened in my life... I don't believe in incest as a good thing.

Now, I'm not saying I took part in it, I'm saying I've met a family that did... and their some weird white trash freaks.

Personally... I think its just a matter of opinion, some will believe it to be OK, others won't believe it to be OK

But as far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't "hurt" anyone, my report reads idgra.

I don't give a rats a**.
BankyPunk
I think its wrong for close-blood relatives of opposite sex to reproduce, thats just plain horrible.

I think a parent/child relationship no matter what age can have some ******** up psychological effects. Imagine if the parent/child's relationship ends, I can't imagine how devastating it must be to get dumped my your own mother.

Why is it 'plain horrible'? Incestual relationships are not guaranteed to have screwed up children, and furthermore, there are plenty of people in this world who are unrelated, but have ******** up children anyway. I haven't seen anyone point fingers at them before, and tell them that their relationship, and the fact that they have children is "horrible."

And yes, there's the possibility of being mentally harmed by the breaking up of a relationship, but really, that's a possibility in all relationships. People can suffer from ******** up psychological effects by being dumped by any very close lover/boy/girlfriend.
Reinna Astarel
BankyPunk

I think a parent/child relationship no matter what age can have some ******** up psychological effects. Imagine if the parent/child's relationship ends, I can't imagine how devastating it must be to get dumped my your own mother.

Why is it 'plain horrible'? Incestual relationships are not guaranteed to have screwed up children, and furthermore, there are plenty of people in this world who are unrelated, but have ******** up children anyway. I haven't seen anyone point fingers at them before, and tell them that their relationship, and the fact that they have children is "horrible."

And yes, there's the possibility of being mentally harmed by the breaking up of a relationship, but really, that's a possibility in all relationships. People can suffer from ******** up psychological effects by being dumped by any very close lover/boy/girlfriend.

Sure there are unrelated couples who have ******** up children, but unless it was the result of something like alcohol abuse or some other kinda of choice of the parents that resulted you can't blame the parents, unless say a doctor told them if they had a child it would be mentally retarded, I don't think they should conceive in that case either.

And sure other kinds of relationships can screw a person up in the head, but you can't honestly suggest that the relationship between a parent and child is not incredibly different.
BankyPunk
Reinna Astarel
BankyPunk

Sure there are unrelated couples who have ******** up children, but unless it was the result of something like alcohol abuse or some other kinda of choice of the parents that resulted you can't blame the parents.

And sure other kinds of relationships can screw a person up in the head, but you can't honestly suggest that the relationship between a parent and child is not incredibly different.

There are parents who just happen to say, have complementing genes that will result in children who are genetically ******** up. There are even parents who KNOW that chances are very high that their children are going to be ******** up, and have them anyway.

I still have never seen any legislation, or general hate directed at such couples.

And I know it's different. But assuming that everyone participating is consensual and of age, they're all adults, hopefully able to handle an adult relationship. All relatioships have the ability to ******** you up if it goes back. That one kind might screw you up more than others doesn't really mean all that much.

Lunatic

It's completely alright with me as long as there is no rape. Love is love and should not be judged. 3nodding
Consensual sex between adults, even if they are closely related, is fine with me.

My only objection is if they want to have children. It seems terribly cruel to give birth to children they know are at a higher risk of severe disability. However, that being said, we don't prevent hereditary deaf or blind people from breeding. Nor do we stop midgets (little people?) from breeding when their risk is typically as high as 50% for having a little person child. Nor do we stop those people at elevated risk for really awful genetic diseases from breeding. As such, it seems to be a red herring to say incestuous couples should not breed because of a higher risk of diseases.
Reinna Astarel
BankyPunk
Reinna Astarel
BankyPunk

Sure there are unrelated couples who have ******** up children, but unless it was the result of something like alcohol abuse or some other kinda of choice of the parents that resulted you can't blame the parents.

There are parents who just happen to say, have complementing genes that will result in children who are genetically ******** up. There are even parents who KNOW that chances are very high that their children are going to be ******** up, and have them anyway.

I still have never seen any legislation, or general hate directed at such couples.

I actually covered that in my post edit those parents who have children they know will be ******** up, I think its despicable.

Quote:
And I know it's different. But assuming that everyone participating is consensual and of age, they're all adults, hopefully able to handle an adult relationship.

I'll agree with you there, if they're adults and they choose to do such things they're responsible for whatever comes of it.

Incest is not at all wrong to me unless rape/abuse is involved. You see, if a brother and sister, cousin or cousin or something other relatives are in love, why stop them? Love shouldn't be held behind bars of no acceptance. It should be free and allowed to be alright. They're people too, not mutants. They're two family members who love each other dearly and romantically and want to be allowed to love each other.

If you look at Adam and Eve, we're all incest in a way, actually. 3nodding

And not all people who are incest want to have sex or are sex maniacs. Love is not ALL about sex.. Some people don't like it and maybe they don't want to reproduce. And if they want kids, let them, it's no one elses choice, right? It's their own. And if they don't WANT to reproduce, there's always adoption if allowed. 3nodding

But in my view and opinions, incest is alright. heart heart
BankyPunk
Reinna Astarel

I actually covered that in my post edit those parents who have children they know will be ******** up, I think its despicable.

Okay then, at leat you're consistent. I have to say that I dislike the practice, but we really don't stop say, deaf, blind, or generally impaired people from having kids anyway, so it'd be a double standard to make incest illegal because of resulting birth defects alone.

Out of curiosity, does that mean you have nothing against homosexual incest?
Reinna Astarel
BankyPunk
Reinna Astarel

Okay then, at leat you're consistent. I have to say that I dislike the practice, but we really don't stop say, deaf, blind, or generally impaired people from having kids anyway, so it'd be a double standard to make incest illegal because of resulting birth defects alone.

Out of curiosity, does that mean you have nothing against homosexual incest?

Cause of the psych stuff I would say I would be against it, but as I said if two people chose to do so they bare the responsibility of what happens. Whether its gay or straight doesn't matter to me.
I am of the opinion that Love is love [however disgusting a warped you choose.] I'm sorry but I can't help thinking this, maybe it's fault of a conservative upraising, but I don't even want to imagine a romantic relationship between and parent and child or silbings. Cousins, however doesn't bug me as much.

Also they should be alerted of the problems of reproduction could result in their offspring, like dwarves and other's such hereditary diseases. Some people will have a child despite, and I tend to find this foolish and selfish. If you need a child in your relationship, ADOPT.

I realize that not all relationships are sexual, but all romantic loves have this idealic underlying basis, a hidden agenda of sorts. Only a platonic love goes without this sexual desire, and they already have that... sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games