Welcome to Gaia! ::

Michael Noire
business degrees are for the extremely lucky and the middle to upper class families that can start operations in a garage, basement, or other owned property to help mitigate enormous losses incurred in the first years of a small business. A business loan typically looks like the same sum of cash you need for a university degree, except you have payments due sooner. Since only an idiot or a leprechaun is ever going to think they can pay that back without being rich to start, you have to be out of your mind to pursue business degrees, which are largely bullshit anyway.

Operating a business is about zoning codes, permits, and nepotism buyers who sponsor your product while you spend years hitting up conventions trying to market your product. Almost all businesses do the same things and yet a large number fail. They fail because they miss out on the realities like lot rent, permit fees, bribery, and connections. A lower middle class junior high drop out with yakuza or mafia ties is more likely to succeed than an upper middle class business major who graduates with honors. Once you figure that out, you realize what a total ******** waste of time that business degree was.

Nursing is a competitive field, but 4 times easier to get in than Pre-Med/Medical School. I would know, when I was in college half my friends were pre meds. Either you have a string of 4.0s or you don't. It's ok to have a s**t grade here and there - it adds color, but overall, they want perfection or GTFO. Nursing is not nearly as stringent. Good grades in undergrad improve which schools you can go to, but mediocre grades don't outright ban you from pursuing a career like they do in medical schools. When I was taking the MCAT, I only then realized how many different fields I was expected to know.

Study for the MCAT before you enroll in school again. Hire tutors and see if your parents can hook you up with realistic medical school expectations. Dropping before your grades kill you is a good choice, kudos on that, but taking the courses over and over is dumb. See what you can do to audit courses like molecular biology, organic chemistry, and various physics courses. Get a latin tutor, you'll want that before you really dig into the many, many names you'll have to memorize.

U mad bro? Yeah, u mad.
Avgvsto
Don't worry about what your parents think so much. You're acting pretty responsibly and i don't think anyone really has all their stuff figured out at that point in their life.
Being a nurse is of course "prestigious" and a very realistic goal, how could saving and caring for people not be "prestigious".

Business stuff is apparently supposed to be kinda helpful at any point or direction in your life, it's also real math heavy. Especially the really useful stuff like accounting or financial stuffs, which is useful since business theory is theory whereas finances and accounting are law.

Honestly, you might jut want to lay low and not pretend that you know what you want to invest in career wise. I find our culture really backwards now a days considering it responsible to make a huge leap of faith and spending bunch of money expecting us to know what our career goals are, and then looking down on people who take it more slowly just looking for financial stability and some honest work- idgi, and I struggle with those pressures myself.

Can you please elaborate on when you say "business is theory whereas finances and accounting are law"?

If that's the case, how do I go about an unclear path ? Do I just stay in the Liberal Arts school and decide something from there to major in that I find interesting?
conconconcrete wall
I had one of those, New Years 2012 I think it was.

Goddamn.

Oh, by the way, it's a mid-life crisis. You, like me and my bro, are probably going to have a half-life.

what happened to you after? I want to know the end result! or what's happening now currently?

And what was one of "those", like the same issue about not being sure which career path to take?

Also, what do you mean by half-life? lol -die soon? Why's that?
xzya-sama
You need to pursue what interests you. Both areas that you are currently looking into provide money that is assured. But if you are only interested in business because it "seems" like fun then you have no concept of what it really is and need to study more into it outside of college classes.
If you are passionate about nursing and truly feel that you're desire is to help others in that regard then by all means continue pursuing it.
But if you feel you aren't willing to sacrifice your time, energy, and effort to succeed in one, the other, or both then you need to take a moment to really collect your thoughts together.
You shouldn't worry so much about this as a "crisis" as everybody goes through this decision phase.
If it helps you lay out the pro's and con's of each side and choose. You're parents decisions, in my opinion, are irrelevent if it in no way intrerests you. Not to mention going into advance doctoral degrees is super hard and only the most dedicated succeed well enough to become successful doctors.
NO matter what just having the degree is meaningless if you aren't ready to put in ALL the hard work necessary to succeed in the real world.

thank you for opening my eyes- this is really meaningful.. I will give it a lot of thought
The Legendary Guest
You know, you'd get more input if you posted in Lifestyle Discussion, where this belongs. emotion_eyebrow

How do I move it there?
Get the ******** out!

Shirtless Raider

Quote:
What bothers me is that my parents are in no position to talk, because both of them are jobless. My mother has been living from basement to basement with different men each time, (yes, they are divorced) and my father is leeching off disability income. I also have two brothers who are both younger than me, not by much. And we live in an extremely expensive state with $200 remaining each month from my dad's disability income, after my dad pays the bills and rent.

This right here should tell you that your parents don't know s**t about the job market or anything pertaining to making money as they sound like they've never held down a job themselves and have been out of the job market for decades.

That said, I don't recommend you continue in a degree you fail in. If you're getting C's, that's doable but may not be the best idea if your field is highly competitive and grade focused. There are many degrees you can get by with C's and D's and still get hired the same as someone with a 4.0 GPA (examples: computer science, engineering, difficult language programs, etc.). You will be making yourself miserable and spending more money making up classes you fail just to get a degree considering degrees have grade requirements for core classes.

If you want to go in to business, you need to think about which business degree you want. Here is a list of business degrees and a description of what they are meant for. Clearly things like an economics or accounting degree would not be good for you as those involve a lot of mathematics. Think about business management degrees, marketing/advertising, hospitality, entrepreneurship, human resources, and even business law degrees for things you may be better at. You also want to consider minors that would be useful to your business degree some of which are not intuitive to business such as psychology and intercommunication which are highly sought for in things like marketing and management.

Michael Noire

What you're describing is an entrepreneurship degree and it's not just meant for people who want to start a business. It's meant entirely for business management meaning you could work for a business that is already profiting using that degree. By the way, my grandfather came from low middle class, never started or owned a business, and yet was the dean of the Isenberg School of Management for years and an active professor. He had a law and mathematics background in education. You might want to re-think your baseless assumptions about business degrees and their uses.
Neko Namida Ame
Quote:
What bothers me is that my parents are in no position to talk, because both of them are jobless. My mother has been living from basement to basement with different men each time, (yes, they are divorced) and my father is leeching off disability income. I also have two brothers who are both younger than me, not by much. And we live in an extremely expensive state with $200 remaining each month from my dad's disability income, after my dad pays the bills and rent.

This right here should tell you that your parents don't know s**t about the job market or anything pertaining to making money as they sound like they've never held down a job themselves and have been out of the job market for decades.

That said, I don't recommend you continue in a degree you fail in. If you're getting C's, that's doable but may not be the best idea if your field is highly competitive and grade focused. There are many degrees you can get by with C's and D's and still get hired the same as someone with a 4.0 GPA (examples: computer science, engineering, difficult language programs, etc.). You will be making yourself miserable and spending more money making up classes you fail just to get a degree considering degrees have grade requirements for core classes.

If you want to go in to business, you need to think about which business degree you want. Here is a list of business degrees and a description of what they are meant for. Clearly things like an economics or accounting degree would not be good for you as those involve a lot of mathematics. Think about business management degrees, marketing/advertising, hospitality, entrepreneurship, human resources, and even business law degrees for things you may be better at. You also want to consider minors that would be useful to your business degree some of which are not intuitive to business such as psychology and intercommunication which are highly sought for in things like marketing and management.

Michael Noire

What you're describing is an entrepreneurship degree and it's not just meant for people who want to start a business. It's meant entirely for business management meaning you could work for a business that is already profiting using that degree. By the way, my grandfather came from low middle class, never started or owned a business, and yet was the dean of the Isenberg School of Management for years and an active professor. He had a law and mathematics background in education. You might want to re-think your baseless assumptions about business degrees and their uses.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces