• Jolly Roger 50
  • Clambake 200
Mister George Kapland
Aven Loreli
Duck Quickly
princess_pillow
Xiam
Yes, it costs too much.

I don't see why any book should ever cost anything like college textbooks cost. Tuition, either, it's ridiculous for something like that. You're only paying for the degree, anyway, you can learn any of that stuff online, or with much cheaper books you can get at Barnes and Noble or something.

Double quote.
It frustrates me that I have to take all these "general education" classes and attend lectures when I can just use the book and figure it out. It's less stressful, and by letting me go at my own pace I feel like I would maybe actually progress faster.

Gen Ed is a crock of s**t anyway, especially for those who are VERY certain of their major and particular path in life.

For those who are undecided for ever and ever, I can understand them as they may open them up to a major they may like, but for specific majors?

Why did an algebra for Graphic Design? Why did I need four science class, 2 social and 2 natural, for Graphic Design?

Made no ******** sense and wasted so much of my time and scholarship money. B/

State regs, and so if you transfer into another degree or college you have credits.

Assuming you change your mind.

I already graduated. Still believe them to be useless. Even if I went back for animation somewhere else, I'll think those kinds of courses are utterly useless for the major I'd be going into. Though I think a Master's can bypass that...I think.

Hallowed Smoker

Aven Loreli
Mister George Kapland
Aven Loreli
Duck Quickly
princess_pillow
Xiam
Yes, it costs too much.

I don't see why any book should ever cost anything like college textbooks cost. Tuition, either, it's ridiculous for something like that. You're only paying for the degree, anyway, you can learn any of that stuff online, or with much cheaper books you can get at Barnes and Noble or something.

Double quote.
It frustrates me that I have to take all these "general education" classes and attend lectures when I can just use the book and figure it out. It's less stressful, and by letting me go at my own pace I feel like I would maybe actually progress faster.

Gen Ed is a crock of s**t anyway, especially for those who are VERY certain of their major and particular path in life.

For those who are undecided for ever and ever, I can understand them as they may open them up to a major they may like, but for specific majors?

Why did an algebra for Graphic Design? Why did I need four science class, 2 social and 2 natural, for Graphic Design?

Made no ******** sense and wasted so much of my time and scholarship money. B/

State regs, and so if you transfer into another degree or college you have credits.

Assuming you change your mind.

I already graduated. Still believe them to be useless. Even if I went back for animation somewhere else, I'll think those kinds of courses are utterly useless for the major I'd be going into. Though I think a Master's can bypass that...I thin k.
it is stupid andes useless. But that's why they do it.

Although, I think masters have to go through it too.... But im not sure.
I enjoyed all of my electives. Sociologies and psychologies. Had to take couple of sciences, and only the biology was a waste, since it was easy as hell. The weather/climatology was fascinating.
Hmmmm, 90 grand a year for tuition. What institution were you looking at because Harvard's tuition is like half that price. And yes, I do believe college is expensive even though the degree is still somewhat valuable in today's society. I actually think the whole system of college and applications itself is f*cked up.

In a perfect world, all public colleges would cost the same. Since all students have access to the same resources only the faculty is different. Yet employers will hire people based on which college they have graduated from opposed to their credentials often times. All people care about nowadays is how your college's reputation is. And you can buy this reputation based on how rich you are.
It's discrimination against poorer students who can't afford more prestigious colleges. And in all honesty, It's not entirely fair.
We did the calculations in my Econ class the other week. I wish I could remember the numbers, but I'll try to give you the jist/general idea of the discussion. My tuition is $2200 per semester. 8 semesters=$17600. Textbooks average $450 here at my university per semester = $3600. Housing here averages at $275 monthly, so a school year from August to April/ 8 months= $2200. =$8800 overall. College students can get by on food and other expenses on an extra $200 a month= $1600 per school year. =$6400 overall.
Yes. There is literally no other words required because there is no good reason for it to be like this. A horrible, horrible system.
+ 6400
=$36,400 is your total opportunity cost of going to a four year college. Of course community college is cheaper and many private universities cost more. Some states like Hawaii, California or new York have more costly apartments and higher cost of living. But that along with study time is basically your input.
Now statistics show that the average college grad makes anywhere from $1-2 million more during the course of their working life until retirement.

And you can even factor in working a part time job while studying. Minimum wage part time is about $500 monthly or $2000 over two semesters, so $8000 over the college experience.

Most high school grads make what? $2000-$3500 monthly = $28000 during those 8 months at college (many college students also work full time during break months to save for the following year) =$112000 overall. -$8000=104k

So high school grads make up to $104,000 more during the college experience. Now we just need to factor that in with college cost to get the total opportunity cost smile
36,400+104,000=140,400. So the total opportunity cost is $140,400 over a four school year period including textbooks, housing, food, tuition, and what you would make if you chose to work instead. [note that I didn't even factor out the cost of an apartment plus housing for the working without college track] and let's say that a college grad fall on the lower part of the statistic and makes just 1 million more than if college was not chosen, then the surplus would be $859,600 over the course of your lifetime. That's $859.6K of money that you wouldnt get without college which could mean $859.6K more of financial stability.
To wrap up the numbers and summarize what you give up for what you'll gain: the cost of going to college is more or less $140,400. But in the long run, you'll end up with $859,600 more money. That's some nice spare change huh? You'd able to make that much of a bigger impact in whatever you'll be into during the course of your life.

I hope my number punching wasn't just a boring Econ lecture but actually helped someone out! wink Peace out

Dapper Phantom

Yes.
And the interest on student loans should be illegal. It's usury and I have no idea how the ******** they get away with it.
iJoeMora
To wrap up the numbers and summarize what you give up for what you'll gain: the cost of going to college is more or less $140,400. But in the long run, you'll end up with $859,600 more money. That's some nice spare change huh? You'd able to make that much of a bigger impact in whatever you'll be into during the course of your life.

I hope my number punching wasn't just a boring Econ lecture but actually helped someone out! wink Peace out
This is optimism. The problem with this is that it puts you in a constant state of employment at a specific rate working full time. This is generally not the case in the human endeavor. Furthermore 850k / X years, where X > 15, is terrible. Basically you just proved that you will become exceedingly poor and that you just paid 140k to make less than 10x the investment. Actually you barely make 700% and that's you paying them to make you useful to society! They should want to train you not you wanting to be trained so you can be used; it's very backwards and anti-progressive.
College does cost too much, but I think part of the problem is because of the "solution" by the government to basically write a blank check to students who get in. Colleges have no incentive to lower their prices if there is always money available to pay exorbitant student loans. If the government passed a bill that allowed student loans to be written off in bankruptcy, there would be less money and more due diligence done by lenders, and thus schools would have moderate their tuition costs or risk not having enough people attend.
College may be pricy, but it is more valuable to the world as the demand for unskilled workers drops like a rock.
Jorgunmandr
iJoeMora

This is optimism. The problem with this is that it puts you in a constant state of employment at a specific rate working full time. This is generally not the case in the human endeavor. Furthermore 850k / X years, where X > 15, is terrible. Basically you just proved that you will become exceedingly poor and that you just paid 140k to make less than 10x the investment. Actually you barely make 700% and that's you paying them to make you useful to society! They should want to train you not you wanting to be trained so you can be used; it's very backwards and anti-progressive.
I probably just wasn't clear. In one of my posts prior to this quoted one, I mentioned that studies show that college graduates make a minimum of one million more during that 15 or 20 year career period. So subtracting the cost of going to college as well as the money that could've been gained if working full time during those four years that could've been invested in college: 1 million minus 140,400 equals $859,600.
That's not what a college grad would make during a 15 year career, but that's the minimal amount of EXTRA money a college grad would make.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff