Welcome to Gaia! ::

princess_pillow
Xiam
Yes, it costs too much.

I don't see why any book should ever cost anything like college textbooks cost. Tuition, either, it's ridiculous for something like that. You're only paying for the degree, anyway, you can learn any of that stuff online, or with much cheaper books you can get at Barnes and Noble or something.

Double quote.
It frustrates me that I have to take all these "general education" classes and attend lectures when I can just use the book and figure it out. It's less stressful, and by letting me go at my own pace I feel like I would maybe actually progress faster.
Mister George Kapland
Old Blue Collar Joe
Mister George Kapland
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
please tell me you're going to a legit state college/university and NOT one of those stupid as all ******** tech schools that charge thousands per class....please. Cause if you are you are making a terrible and life-crushing-debt decision.

Don't denigrate tech schools. It sounds more like one of those pseudo-colleges or an Ivy League school. Most tech schools are a couple thousand a year depending on the program studied, and one can go make a good living.
Graphic Artist sounds like one of those 'art institute' programs where they screw you blind for learning a job that ten jillion other ******** think is a wonderful career. They're getting to be as common as burger flippers.

it's a legitimate degree.

Didn't say it wasn't. It is an over-saturated degree is the point.

Because traditional colleges are so expensive.

If I could afford one full four years at a traditional school, I wouldn't be looking into graphic design.

Of course, if I could afford a traditional school, I'd probably end up as a penniless English major anyway.

I don't see much use in majoring in English unless one wants to be a teacher. I'd choose my major on something that I can enjoy doing and make a decent living at, and my minor in something 'fun' that I'd like to do.
But to assume that 'well, it's everyone else that will not find a job. I'm SPECIAL' mindset is, while commendable, not practical.
And the local community colleges are good schools.

Hallowed Smoker

Eveille
Mister George Kapland
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
please tell me you're going to a legit state college/university and NOT one of those stupid as all ******** tech schools that charge thousands per class....please. Cause if you are you are making a terrible and life-crushing-debt decision.

Don't denigrate tech schools. It sounds more like one of those pseudo-colleges or an Ivy League school. Most tech schools are a couple thousand a year depending on the program studied, and one can go make a good living.
Graphic Artist sounds like one of those 'art institute' programs where they screw you blind for learning a job that ten jillion other ******** think is a wonderful career. They're getting to be as common as burger flippers.

so are english and history (me!!!) degrees, doesn't mean you have great job prospects, or any job prospects really sad .

for me it didn't matter because i got all sorts of grants and s**t I didn't have to pay back, so i graduated debt free and got a master's in env sci anyway.

My logic is simple, most businesses want you to have a degree, most of them don't give a damn what it's in.

Get cheap easy degree, make just enough to scrape by for a few years. and go for a more traditional degree later.

Besides, if you go get a worthless degree, after college you're no worse off than you were.

Fuzzy Phantom

Actually, it's a 55k annual salary on average. And it's increasing. Along with the job market for it. I did all my research. It's my passion. It's a 70k Tuition for a Bachelor's in MMD. I added 20k for the living expenses not on campus but in an apartment. I'd be doing it online.

It's what I wanna do, bro. A couple of you guys need to calm your s**t down and stop bashing my life decisions instead of giving advice, which wasn't even the min topic in the first place.

So let's talk about THAT, muh dudes.

Do you think College is too over-priced?

Hallowed Smoker

Old Blue Collar Joe
Mister George Kapland
Old Blue Collar Joe
Mister George Kapland
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

Didn't say it wasn't. It is an over-saturated degree is the point.

Because traditional colleges are so expensive.

If I could afford one full four years at a traditional school, I wouldn't be looking into graphic design.

Of course, if I could afford a traditional school, I'd probably end up as a penniless English major anyway.[/quote

I don't see much use in majoring in English unless one wants to be a teacher. I'd choose my major on something that I can enjoy doing and make a decent living at, and my minor in something 'fun' that I'd like to do.
But to assume that 'well, it's everyone else that will not find a job. I'm SPECIAL' mindset is, while commendable, not practical.
And the local community colleges are good schools.

Unless you're majoring in business, engineering, or some sort of science (all of which are out side of my price range) your chances of getting a job in the field you chose is slim, to nil.

at least with graphic arts you can do commission work in your spare time.

My local community college ******** me around for a full year after my first semester so I dropped out, swore if I was going back it'd be for something I semi enjoy.

Hallowed Smoker

Sorry for the formatting errors Joe, I do my Gaia from a phone, makes formatting a horrible chore.

Ferocious Browser

Mister George Kapland
Eveille
Mister George Kapland
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

so are english and history (me!!!) degrees, doesn't mean you have great job prospects, or any job prospects really sad .

for me it didn't matter because i got all sorts of grants and s**t I didn't have to pay back, so i graduated debt free and got a master's in env sci anyway.

My logic is simple, most businesses want you to have a degree, most of them don't give a damn what it's in.

Get cheap easy degree, make just enough to scrape by for a few years. and go for a more traditional degree later.

Besides, if you go get a worthless degree, after college you're no worse off than you were.

Well I guess you can look at it that way, but if you are going to get a degree and end up in an unrelated field, it is a little sad.

Also, getting a worthless degree is only alright if you graduate debt-free, otherwise you are worse off.

Hallowed Smoker

Eveille
Mister George Kapland
Eveille
Mister George Kapland
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

Well I guess you can look at it that way, but if you are going to get a degree and end up in an unrelated field, it is a little sad.

Also, getting a worthless degree is only alright if you graduate debt-free, otherwise you are worse off.

there's always.bankruptcy.

Ferocious Browser

Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--
Actually, it's a 55k annual salary on average. And it's increasing. Along with the job market for it. I did all my research. It's my passion. It's a 70k Tuition for a Bachelor's in MMD. I added 20k for the living expenses not on campus but in an apartment. I'd be doing it online.

It's what I wanna do, bro. A couple of you guys need to calm your s**t down and stop bashing my life decisions instead of giving advice, which wasn't even the min topic in the first place.

So let's talk about THAT, muh dudes.

Do you think College is too over-priced?

The one You're going to definitely is overpriced.

My Bachelor's was reasonable. About 300$/class + incidental fees which were about 200$/year (2-3 semesters depending on if I took summer school or not). I had 100% paid tuition at a state college, from the state + prepaid funds my mom had put away, so each semester I actually made money.

My Master's was overpriced as s**t. Triple the cost of the Bachelor's, at the same school, sharing some classes with undergrads (same lecture, same tests, same assignments) and having to write a thesis to boot. Bitches. However, I got a graduate assistantship to pay for this one so I am still debt-free! wink

Fanatical Zealot

Yeah, imo there should be a public option that's at least vastly cheaper.

Ferocious Browser

Mister George Kapland
Eveille
Mister George Kapland
Eveille
Mister George Kapland

that messes up your credit though

Hallowed Smoker

Eveille
Mister George Kapland
Eveille
Mister George Kapland
Eveille
Mister George Kapland

that messes up your credit though

So does 90 thousand dollars of unpayable student loans lol
Mister George Kapland
Eveille
Mister George Kapland
Eveille
Mister George Kapland

You can bankrupt out of of student loans now? O_o
Nonesuch Solo
You can bankrupt out of of student loans now? O_o

You can if they're not issues/backed by the government.

Magnetic Dog

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Dr Dillinger
wasabichan
Tch, commie.

I still love you.

And just like that I'm a mushy pile of goo... heart

Quick Reply

Submit