Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ferocious Browser

Mister George Kapland
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
please tell me you're going to a legit state college/university and NOT one of those stupid as all ******** tech schools that charge thousands per class....please. Cause if you are you are making a terrible and life-crushing-debt decision.

Don't denigrate tech schools. It sounds more like one of those pseudo-colleges or an Ivy League school. Most tech schools are a couple thousand a year depending on the program studied, and one can go make a good living.
Graphic Artist sounds like one of those 'art institute' programs where they screw you blind for learning a job that ten jillion other ******** think is a wonderful career. They're getting to be as common as burger flippers.

it's a legitimate degree.

so are english and history (me!!!) degrees, doesn't mean you have great job prospects, or any job prospects really sad .

for me it didn't matter because i got all sorts of grants and s**t i didn't have to pay back, so i graduated debt free and got a master's in env sci anyway.

Ferocious Browser

Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

yea, seems a poor career choice :/

maybe tech schools was the wrong word? i mean those devrys and phoenixes and s**t going around lately. my bf went to one, forgot name, for comp sci and none of the credits transferred anywhere else. horrible pain in the a**.

Yeah...'technical institute'. Sounds like what you'd get if a tech school and two year junior college ******** in the back of a Yugo...

if a tech institute isn't a tech school though...what is a tech school?

Tech schools teach skills such as CNC Machine operator, welding, pharmacy tech, HVAC repair, other skilled trades that require a certain level of introductory knowledge to be competent/hired in at.
There's a fallacy that tech school courses don't really teach skills that one can earn a good living at, but realistically, they teach skills, predominately, in courses that people always find themselves needing.

o ok, i think i get it.

well, if it was that sort of school itd be ok.

but it sounds like he's going to a devry sort of thing. seriously 90k? not even the private university here costs 90k/year. the public one is practically free by comparison.

Truthfully? I think the OP is a ******** troll. I can't think of one school that would cost 90k a year that isn't Ivy League.

could be i guess, since he hasn't answered anything at all ever again.

i don't know about 90k, but those online/tv ad schools can be exorbitantly expensive. it is known they gouge their students for all they're worth.
Mister George Kapland
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
please tell me you're going to a legit state college/university and NOT one of those stupid as all ******** tech schools that charge thousands per class....please. Cause if you are you are making a terrible and life-crushing-debt decision.

Don't denigrate tech schools. It sounds more like one of those pseudo-colleges or an Ivy League school. Most tech schools are a couple thousand a year depending on the program studied, and one can go make a good living.
Graphic Artist sounds like one of those 'art institute' programs where they screw you blind for learning a job that ten jillion other ******** think is a wonderful career. They're getting to be as common as burger flippers.

Didn't say it wasn't. It is an over-saturated degree is the point.
Xiam
Yes, it costs too much.

I don't see why any book should ever cost anything like college textbooks cost. Tuition, either, it's ridiculous for something like that. You're only paying for the degree, anyway, you can learn any of that stuff online, or with much cheaper books you can get at Barnes and Noble or something.
wasabichan
Tch, commie.

I still love you.

Fuzzy Phantom

I'm going to become a graphic designer. It's not a poor choice. Technology is increasing in the market, as are the jobs requiring it. It's what I want to do. It makes me happy. Also, 60,000 dollars a year doesn't seem to bad. I'm going to DeVry. I'm lucky I even have a chance for that. I'll take what I can get. You have no position saying anything is a poor career choice for another person. Nobody does, bro. Hell, if you wanted to be a garbage man, I'd say "Good for you." Whatever makes you happy.
s**t, son, don't pay $90k for a freakin' graphic arts degree. Graphic design is one of those things that almost any fool can figure out at a basic level, but then companies don't hire outside graphic design artists, they'll ask someone with moderate skill in Photoshop or Illustrator to fix up posters for their events. My dad got several such "extra jobs" from his company because he was willing and had an eye for those sorts of things, not because he had a degree in graphic design. Companies keep that kind of s**t in-house if they can because it's cheaper. Hell, my dad considered taking night classes in graphic design simply because he was getting so many requests from his superiors, but he'd never consider trying to go into it as a career.

I know a four-year degree at certain schools can cost over $90k total, but that's not worth it for graphic design. Not by a long shot.
Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--
I'm going to become a graphic designer. It's not a poor choice. Technology is increasing in the market, as are the jobs requiring it. It's what I want to do. It makes me happy. Also, 60,000 dollars a year doesn't seem to bad. I'm going to DeVry. I'm lucky I even have a chance for that. I'll take what I can get. You have no position saying anything is a poor career choice for another person. Nobody does, bro. Hell, if you wanted to be a garbage man, I'd say "Good for you." Whatever makes you happy.

60k a year? That's over double what it costs for UGA for a year, INCLUDING living expenses. That's either utter bullshit or they're recruiting students off the short bus but fat wallet grouping!

Ferocious Browser

Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--

we can though. If you take out loans to do this degree at that school and you can't get a job (which will be hard because of how many people get these sorts of degrees), then what are you going to do? How will you pay them back?

You are stacking the odds against yourself, we are trying to warn you, to help you make better decisions. At least I am. If you must have that art degree, then at least get it from a legit school that isn't trying to squeeze money out of your ever orifice.

60k is less, but it is still completely unreasonable and you really shouldn't be paying that for a degree, especially anything under a PhD.

did you even look into a state school? if you ever have to move (which seems a good possibility considering what you wrote in your OP), state creds transfer, techy institute ones don't. No one takes those because they aren't standardized in the least.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--

60k a year? That's over double what it costs for UGA for a year, INCLUDING living expenses. That's either utter bullshit or they're recruiting students off the short bus but fat wallet grouping!

I had a similar reaction, then I thought maybe the person you quoted meant they plan on earning $60k after graduation.
Nonesuch Solo
Old Blue Collar Joe
Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--

I had a similar reaction, then I thought maybe the person you quoted meant they plan on earning $60k after graduation.

National average is 47k or so, with it decreasing for that field.
Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--

You're far more likely to get a job as a garbage man than a graphic designer, and you'd be richer for it, too. Instead of $90k down and four years gone, you'll be so far ahead it's not even funny.

Of course being a garbage man is one of those "dirty jobs" that Americans are just so keen on avoiding.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Australia: government pays your uni fees, you pay them back once you earn enough to do so. Seriously, it works.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Nonesuch Solo
Old Blue Collar Joe
Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--

National average is 47k or so, with it decreasing for that field.

I believe it. Just because you plan on earning something doesn't mean you'll get it. 3nodding

Hell one of my closest friends in engineering school was offered a $75k job right out of undergrad, while another one wound up working at Walmart for a few years and then decided to go back to grad school to have more of an edge in the market.

Hallowed Smoker

Old Blue Collar Joe
Mister George Kapland
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

Didn't say it wasn't. It is an over-saturated degree is the point.

Because traditional colleges are so expensive.

If I could afford one full four years at a traditional school, I wouldn't be looking into graphic design.

Of course, if I could afford a traditional school, I'd probably end up as a penniless English major anyway.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff