Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cloning your pet:

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 10, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5

Too clone cats and dogs would be just wrong in my opion.
exactly...there are so many animals in shelters, go save them!!

but to clone animals, like tigers, or birds any animal that has almost died out because of out stupidness, should be saved...if we can even do that right.
I would support the study of cloning, because that leads to a greater understanding of how we and our genes work. If growing people new body parts later means duplicating some rats now, I thing it's all good.

But cloning a pet, especially to "extend" its life, isn't what I'd call a good idea. For one thing, behavior isn't solely genetic, so the clone would never be the same pet they lost, even raising them the same way. Next, even if the original was cloned at a relatively young age, the clone would still be inheriting DNA that has aged, and would age according to the DNA rather than the time they have lived. Last I heard, Dolly the sheep lived to be about seven years old, with arthritis and other age-related complications. Most sheep live to be in their twenties, don't they? Imagine having ear hair and needing a new hip at twelve years old.

Just because it seems to fit the moment:

A Cloning Poem

Mary had a little lamb, its fleece was slightly gray
It didn't have a father, just some borrowed DNA

It sort of had a mother, though the ovum was on loan,
It was not so much a lambkin, as a little lamby clone.

And soon it had a fellow clone, and then it had some more,
They followed Mary to school one day, all cramming through the door.

It made the children laugh and sing, on the teachers it took a toll,
There were too many lamby clones, for Mary to control.

No other could control the sheep, since their programs didn't vary,
So the scientists resolved it all, by simply cloning Mary.

But now they felt quite sheepish, those scientists unwary,
One problem solved, but what to do, with Mary, Mary, Mary.

From some old biology notes. Personally, I prefered the section on the mouse with six parents (aka DNA donors) or the picture with a human ear growing out of another living mouse's back. Heck, the University of Utah grew a calf from conception to birth in the equivilent of a plastic bag, but nobody seems to be mentioning "growing" babies. sweatdrop
I want to buy a dog, but my parents won't let me!!! crying
And that idea is very bad...
I would never clone my pet. First it would be unfair to the clone. Clones have been proven to develop different personalities amongst animals jus tlike human identical twins. It would be like saying, "You! act like your identical twin." Secondly, humans should not mess with death. Death is something that is beyond our control and should not be tampered with. If you have read Pet Sematery you know what I mean. Un-Dead pets are not pretty things. Thirdly, from pets people will move onto something bigger. If people are cloned things could get messy. Cloning pets is risky enough, with people it will jsut get confusing and possibly could get involved with crime. Even though i respect that people were able to discover this technology there are too many risks to use it. To put it generically, "In the wrong hands it could be fatal."
Sliptrall
I think it?s a terrible idea. And, to me it?s sort of creepy. It?s almost like bringing someone or something back from the dead.

But then again, I support cloning the Tasmanian Tiger? ninja just because they are my favorite animals, and it was humanity?s doing that ceiled their fate of extinction.

Anyways, cloning a pet would be a bad idea. There are millions, possibly billions of pets kept in shelters around the world! I see no reason to unnaturally make more for your own happiness.

So, I open this subject up for discussion.

I did a report on animal cloning...it has it's perks and ppl are already spending hundreds of dollars just to freeze the tissue of their pets for alter...but it can't really be your ORIGINAL pet...

And what about extinct animals? It's pretty much our fault a lot of the animals died out...what if we bring them backa nd fnd out there was a glitch in the process and we just screwed the species??? yea...i would feel really bad and stupid...
lets clone the dodo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cloning your pet would be pointless. It would be easier just to go to a shelter and adopt a new one. The affect would be the same as well, seeing as how the cloned animal would act nothing like the origional anyway.

(Cloning extinct or seriously endangered animals would be awsome though.)
i dont think that cloning you pet would be the best decision. even if your pet does look the exact same it doesnt mean that it is (personality wise). besides, if your old pet died and u cloned it, the clone would only remind you more of your old pet.
cloning=playing god
playing god=bad
bad=deep poo in the end
deep poo in the end=bad
FS

Just because it seems to fit the moment:

A Cloning Poem

Mary had a little lamb, its fleece was slightly gray
It didn't have a father, just some borrowed DNA

It sort of had a mother, though the ovum was on loan,
It was not so much a lambkin, as a little lamby clone.

And soon it had a fellow clone, and then it had some more,
They followed Mary to school one day, all cramming through the door.

It made the children laugh and sing, on the teachers it took a toll,
There were too many lamby clones, for Mary to control.

No other could control the sheep, since their programs didn't vary,
So the scientists resolved it all, by simply cloning Mary.

But now they felt quite sheepish, those scientists unwary,
One problem solved, but what to do, with Mary, Mary, Mary.

xd That's a clever poem.
Cloning your pet will not bring it back. There are many other nice dogs, cats, animals, etc.. in shelters that would probably love to be adopted.
Sliptrall
There are millions, possibly billions of pets kept in shelters around the world!

This is the best argument I've ever heard against cloning. I support cloning in general, even human cloning. However, it is rather wasteful to clone a pet, when you can buy or adopt a different one for a much lower price.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff