Welcome to Gaia! ::

I think you'll find most americans have either a potato loaf mentality or a common sense patriot mentality. Right now, most people are microwave potato loafs. Sort of a strange hybrid of the contestants from biggest loser, the fat people from Wall-E and the civilians in Idiocracy.

What's left are the down to earth Americans, liberals, and radicals. loafs like drones because they think it improves the capacity of the military, which in their heads is this wonderful drill sgt god king with super powers to make them happier, skinnier, healthier, better citizens, and protects them from the closet monsters. But in reality,

Drones are bad, man, real bad.

You only need to know they do not help your citizens at all in any way.
you don't need to know that they cost a fortune
you don't need to know that you are paying for it
you don't need to know that someone will lose their job to a drone
you don't need to know that prices will rise because of drones or why
you don't need to know that privacy is important and they take that away
you don't need to know about thought police
you don't need to know about the basics of human innovation

you only need to know that drones are bad.

Shameless Mystic

Keltoi Samurai
False Dichotomy
I don't really think that conservatives are liking the war less. They're just doing whatever they can, and saying whatever they can say to diametrically oppose Obama. Like a 5 year old.

I do think we need to limit control of unmanned drones to the CIA and military.

much the same way liberals try to oppose everything conservative?

I mean, the moment Obama took over the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, Democrats became pro-war just as quickly as Republicans became anti-war.

it's impressive, really
Republicans are anti-war? And I'm pretty sure democrats have been pro war for a long time, now. Why do you think liberals are so frustrated with them?

Shameless Mystic

l_Shamrock_l
False Dichotomy
l_Shamrock_l
False Dichotomy
l_Shamrock_l
False Dichotomy
Yea, you need all that if you have soldiers there, are mounting an attack, or are trying to defend from an ambush.
Or if you want to provide safe passage for deployed ships, civilian vessels and by land. Big picture, buddy.
If we aren't there, it won't matter. We aren't their people's liberators.
Current operations are working to establish a government and train them so that the can take care of themselves. You're talking as if we went there without an objective in mind and the war's just never going to end.
Yea, pretty much. I don't really believe it'll end in my lifetime. Or rather, I don't believe this country will remain out of war for the rest of my lifetime. Even if they somehow miraculously complete the pipe dream they have established, We'll still be in war in 2, 3, possibly even 4 other countries before we end the ones we're in now.
I don't think it'll be that extreme, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility considering Obama has been saying "Next year we'll be done!" for a long time now and it still hasn't happened... I just don't think it's right to abandon the "project" half way through. You have to invest in your allies, whether it's something that's going to happen soon or in the distant future.
When Obama leaves office, and we have another Democrat president, he will also support the war. Then something changes, and we have a Republican president... and he also supports the war. So on and so forth in that pattern. And all the congress seats stay roughly the same.
Oh yeah, really makes you wonder about using a tool for a legitimate purpose. rolleyes
Guns okay, drones okay if not fired on own citizens and not used to spy on people, which they will most likely be used for, so drones are probably bad overall.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Suicidesoldier#1

Why you keep focusing on drones, it's probs cause you're crazy.

Or your last name is "Connor", but I digress...

On topic, Big Brother has been up your a** longer than you realize.
That XBox you waste hours in front of has a camera in it connected to an interconnected network of computers which anyone can monitor. So does your laptop. All phone lines are monitored by banks and banks of computers tracking each person's point of origin and contact point. They maintain the lines of communication by simply running them through an algorithmic system to pass from one semi-secure device to another and are used to record/monitor every word spoken on any such device. You physical mail is run through xray scanners to determine if any contraband is inside but also to scan for keywords to eliminate terrorism, which apparently is the last major user of snail mail.
Almost every Orwellian conspiracy has already come to be, and the cause is not some overwhelming corruption in government, it is simply consumer demand.
You wanted better games. You wanted faster computers and iPhones. You wanted to be instantly connected to the rest of the world in the blink of an eye. The problem with being connected to the world is the world is also connected to you.
Nothing is private.
Nothing is sacred.
If you could eliminate the threat of armed drones with a firearm, they wouldn't be useful in the first goddamn place!
Embrace the madness!
END OF DAYS, BITCHES! END OF DAAAAYS!!

Fanatical Zealot

AsuraSyn
Suicidesoldier#1

That XBox you waste hours in front of has a camera in it connected to an interconnected network of computers which anyone can monitor. So does your laptop. All phone lines are monitored by banks and banks of computers tracking each person's point of origin and contact point. They maintain the lines of communication by simply running them through an algorithmic system to pass from one semi-secure device to another and are used to record/monitor every word spoken on any such device. You physical mail is run through xray scanners to determine if any contraband is inside but also to scan for keywords to eliminate terrorism, which apparently is the last major user of snail mail.
Almost every Orwellian conspiracy has already come to be, and the cause is not some overwhelming corruption in government, it is simply consumer demand.
You wanted better games. You wanted faster computers and iPhones. You wanted to be instantly connected to the rest of the world in the blink of an eye. The problem with being connected to the world is the world is also connected to you.
Nothing is private.
Nothing is sacred.
If you could eliminate the threat of armed drones with a firearm, they wouldn't be useful in the first goddamn place!
Embrace the madness!

I don't own an x-box and my phone is still one were the battery can be removed, legally, and it can run out of power. I also don't own a mac or a web-cam, for obvious reasons.

But I wouldn't be concerned if they were just looking through my mail. Honestly, if looking through what useless mail I produce catches terrorists or criminals, I mean really if it does, small price to pay.

You think anyone cares about my little old mail?

I mean, well maybe, but the government doesn't really care, and doesn't seem to have released any incriminating photos of me at the Christmas party. xp

Of course the U.G.M.F. got angry one day about how I, sent a message to myself, on gaia, about them snooping through people's accounts.

Ironic when you think about it "all the things you said about the U.G.M.F. aren't true, like us having moderators in our pockets or hacking into people's accounts!"

Okay, but uh, question, where would you have gotten me saying that in the first place?

Right. Chicken or the egg doesn't work, either. You'd have to be snooping through my account for some time before you found me post something incriminating in a super secret place.
Michael Noire
I think you'll find most americans have either a potato loaf mentality or a common sense patriot mentality. Right now, most people are microwave potato loafs. Sort of a strange hybrid of the contestants from biggest loser, the fat people from Wall-E and the civilians in Idiocracy.

What's left are the down to earth Americans, liberals, and radicals. loafs like drones because they think it improves the capacity of the military, which in their heads is this wonderful drill sgt god king with super powers to make them happier, skinnier, healthier, better citizens, and protects them from the closet monsters. But in reality,

Drones are bad, man, real bad.

You only need to know they do not help your citizens at all in any way.
you don't need to know that they cost a fortune
you don't need to know that you are paying for it
you don't need to know that someone will lose their job to a drone
you don't need to know that prices will rise because of drones or why
you don't need to know that privacy is important and they take that away
you don't need to know about thought police
you don't need to know about the basics of human innovation

you only need to know that drones are bad.

If you don't know that government murderbots are bad, something's ******** wrong with you. Children should be able to figure that s**t out, but they're doing something to the children, making them more patriotic, making them idolize the military.
AsuraSyn
Suicidesoldier#1

Nothing is private.
Nothing is sacred.
Embrace the madness!

I wanted better games and computers. I never asked for Apple products or Orwellian conspiracies. This is a misunderstanding best righted with bullets.
Riviera de la Mancha
Oh yeah, really makes you wonder about using a tool for a legitimate purpose. rolleyes

To allow them to use the robots to spy (which is what I assume you mean by "legitimate purpose" unless you want to send them to outer space or something) is to allow them to use the robots to murder innocent civilians.

If some other government "protected its citizens" by bombing your country, would you like that very much?
Kingstonalloy
Guns okay, drones okay if not fired on own citizens and not used to spy on people, which they will most likely be used for, so drones are probably bad overall.

They could dronestrike schools and hospitals, as long as no Americans get hurt? nice.
deadroosters
Riviera de la Mancha

To allow them to use the robots to spy (which is what I assume you mean by "legitimate purpose" unless you want to send them to outer space or something) is to allow them to use the robots to murder innocent civilians.

If some other government "protected its citizens" by bombing your country, would you like that very much?

No, I do not mean 'spy.' If something is unclear, ask, don't assume.

I am referring to using the drone to locate that guy shooting up cops.

And murder? Since when was that allowed, even if I was for spying, which I am not?

Depends - is my nation a legitimate and serious threat to them?
deadroosters
Kingstonalloy

They could dronestrike schools and hospitals, as long as no Americans get hurt? nice.

Are you nitpicking or are you intentionally assuming things based upon the plethora of minute details that I didn't include into the classification of "citizens" and "drones are probably bad overall?"

If we're going by either of those, then along with dronestrikes aimed at schools and hospitals without Americans in them, let's also toss in illegal immigrants, travelers, immigrants with work visas, foreign dignitaries, commercial airplanes that legally fly over US airspace, armadillos, ant eaters, deer, wolverines, badgers, porcupines, vehicles with travelers in them, Canada, dolphins, and other things.
Riviera de la Mancha
deadroosters
Riviera de la Mancha

And murder? Since when was that allowed, even if I was for spying, which I am not?

That's what they're for, though, either looking at something from high up or dropping a bomb on it.

That's unnecessary, police drones. They don't need that kind of firepower.

Murder is unlawful killing.

No.
deadroosters
Riviera de la Mancha
deadroosters
Riviera de la Mancha

That's what they're for, though, either looking at something from high up or dropping a bomb on it.

That's unnecessary, police drones. They don't need that kind of firepower.

Murder is unlawful killing.

No.

Looking at something =/= spying. And if the drones are not armed, then there is no 'firepower'.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff