Welcome to Gaia! ::

Everyone with a TV by now has heard of the Tsunami disaster in Asia, and all of the money going towards it from around the world. While many agree it's good to see so much support for such a disaster, the amount being sent is starting to raise a few eyebrows.
Problems such as the AIDS epidemic in Africa and poverty back in our own countries are going almost un-noticed, even though they're certainly something to be concerned about.

Should money being sent by governments be more evenly devided between more problems, or does the Tsunami disaster really need every cent that can be sent?

Discuss.
Well those other situations certainly do deserve attention; immediate relief is needed in the Tsunami affected areas. So I really have no issue with the amount of funds being poured into relief efforts.

Tipsy Prophet

I think money should be sent to the tsunami. I agree with you that in Africa and other places there are horrible epidemics and most people are just donating to the tsunami fund. I think that it gets a little overwhelming because everyone is asking you to donate to them. It makes you feel obligated to donate and... you get the picture.
When the Tsunami relief started, Canada (government) was going to send $5 Million. Now our gov is sending over $425 Million. I can see that $5 Million isn't enough, but then they increased it by 8500%. I think before they consider putting the number over half a billion, they should certainly look at some other problem, such as poverty back here in Canada.
Aids in africa was caused by bad judgement of the people. While we should help teach the people how to stop having loads of sex and stop throwing aids around, it's really none of our concern. Poverty here is often caused by dropping out of school and stuff like that. More bad judgement of the people. (some is caused by being born into poverty, I know, not the point)
The tsunami disaster was natural and not caused by any bad judgement. WHat happened to those people wasn't anyone's fault. They deserve the help they get.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff