Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should you be able to answer the door with a shotgun?

only if it's religious (mormons/Jehovahs witnesses/etc) 0.058823529411765 5.9% [ 2 ]
only if its a young man trying to screw your daughter 0.029411764705882 2.9% [ 1 ]
only if it's an insurrance/vacuum cleaner/etc salesman 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
some of the above 0.23529411764706 23.5% [ 8 ]
all of the above 0.5 50.0% [ 17 ]
No firearms are scary! 0.17647058823529 17.6% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 34 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 >

AsuraSyn
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn
Major Lima Charlie
AsuraSyn

A great deal of human beings are useless or outright detrimental to society and the progression of social evolution. Removing their negative influence would be like yanking out wisdom teeth. Why exactly is that so bad?

Who are you to say? You don't have the capacity to judge.

Because unlike everyone else I strive for objectivity even knowing it's impossible.

If I could give an award for pretentiousness, this would win it for the day. Maybe the week.

It's pretentious to try to remove prejudice from one's mindset?
Wow.
If I had an award for jackassery that would win it for the day. Maybe the week.

No- its pretentious because you think you are the only one trying to be objective.

And don't kid yourself- if there was an award for Jackassery, it would obviously be mine.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn
Major Lima Charlie
AsuraSyn

A great deal of human beings are useless or outright detrimental to society and the progression of social evolution. Removing their negative influence would be like yanking out wisdom teeth. Why exactly is that so bad?

Because unlike everyone else I strive for objectivity even knowing it's impossible.

If I could give an award for pretentiousness, this would win it for the day. Maybe the week.

Wow.

No- its pretentious because you think you are the only one trying to be objective.

And don't kid yourself- if there was an award for Jackassery, it would obviously be mine.

Very well, bowing to statistics I change my earlier statement to "unlike most everyone else".
Fair enough?

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn

And thus the immorality of hope.
Waiting for things to get better or passing the buck saying it's impossible for man to fix the problem just leads to further degeneration into destruction. It exacerbates a persisting problem while doing nothing to counteract the effects thereof.
We should never allow ourselves to succumb to hope.

Wrong. Even though we know it's impossible, we shall always strive (hope) to achieve it. It is the giving up of on hope, and deciding that it is a journey not worth the time, which is defeating. One day man may get their head just far enough out of their a** to actually achieve something close to a good society.
Just because we cannot see it in our vision doesn't mean it isn't possible. 1,000 years ago a 'talking box' would have been laughed out of the room, or destroyed as demonic. Now? We all have them in our houses.

Ahh, but these demonic talky boxes only exist because someone got off their a** and decided to make them. Had they simply hoped, anticipated it coming into being via some other beings actions, they would still be laughable fantasies.
To my mind, hope is the act of wishing or anticipating something that one isn't able to do or achieve on their own, and thus it's detrimental since things only ever change when changed by someone. By becoming hopeless one abandons anticipation and is able to embrace the moment and live fully in it without thought of past or future and thus one strives to make the best of each moment and improve the whole of life for themselves and subsequently all others.

No, hope is the first step to concept of the idea, followed by a desire to see it, then changing from dream to goal, at which point one begins the journey and process of seeing it through, with the hope now a mental image, motivating the person to strive harder, ignore failure, and continue on the journey, so that they can, in the end, achieve that goal.

That sounds more like inspiration than hope.

Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn
Major Lima Charlie
AsuraSyn

Wow.

Please. We all know I win jack a** of the year. I've a wall full of trophies for it.
And you're right. Most of us try for objectivity. We just realize it's hard as hell to obtain.
AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn

Waiting for things to get better or passing the buck saying it's impossible for man to fix the problem just leads to further degeneration into destruction. It exacerbates a persisting problem while doing nothing to counteract the effects thereof.

Wrong. Even though we know it's impossible, we shall always strive (hope) to achieve it. It is the giving up of on hope, and deciding that it is a journey not worth the time, which is defeating. One day man may get their head just far enough out of their a** to actually achieve something close to a good society.
Just because we cannot see it in our vision doesn't mean it isn't possible. 1,000 years ago a 'talking box' would have been laughed out of the room, or destroyed as demonic. Now? We all have them in our houses.

Ahh, but these demonic talky boxes only exist because someone got off their a** and decided to make them. Had they simply hoped, anticipated it coming into being via some other beings actions, they would still be laughable fantasies.
To my mind, hope is the act of wishing or anticipating something that one isn't able to do or achieve on their own, and thus it's detrimental since things only ever change when changed by someone. By becoming hopeless one abandons anticipation and is able to embrace the moment and live fully in it without thought of past or future and thus one strives to make the best of each moment and improve the whole of life for themselves and subsequently all others.

No, hope is the first step to concept of the idea, followed by a desire to see it, then changing from dream to goal, at which point one begins the journey and process of seeing it through, with the hope now a mental image, motivating the person to strive harder, ignore failure, and continue on the journey, so that they can, in the end, achieve that goal.

Not really. They're two halves of the whole.
AsuraSyn
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn

Wow.

Very well, bowing to statistics I change my earlier statement to "unlike most everyone else".
Fair enough?

Not even most everyone. Most people like objectivity and often know its not possible.

You are not special in simply seeking this.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn

Which would seem to strengthen my stance as then they'd be contradictory, no?

AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn

Nope. Hope is the seed from which inspiration grows from. Without one, you cannot have the other. And to claim we're better without hope is to claim we're better off living in a cave, since man saw fire, discovered it was warm, and hoped it wouldn't go out, thus giving him the inspiration to figure out a way to keep it lit, and even create it themselves.
Hope has granted us a lot in our time. Otherwise, the first plague ever would have wiped us out, since, without hope, why in the hell even bother attempting to cure it, since, obviously, it is hopeless?

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn

Wow.

Fair enough?

Not even most everyone. Most people like objectivity and often know its not possible.

You are not special in simply seeking this.

Ha!
Most people wouldn't know objectivity if it shat upon them. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, myself included, can only look at things from their own perspective, a subjective one, and thus objectivity is an almost alien concept. Everyone, by and large, views the world contextually, how one thing affects another within themselves.
"If I do x, y will happen."
They rarely, if ever, look at things systematically.
"Is it beneficial to the whole to do x?"
Objectivity, in this vernacular, would simply be putting aside any form of preconception and starting from a blank state to decide what would be beneficial and what would not.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn

Nope. Hope is the seed from which inspiration grows from. Without one, you cannot have the other. And to claim we're better without hope is to claim we're better off living in a cave, since man saw fire, discovered it was warm, and hoped it wouldn't go out, thus giving him the inspiration to figure out a way to keep it lit, and even create it themselves.
Hope has granted us a lot in our time. Otherwise, the first plague ever would have wiped us out, since, without hope, why in the hell even bother attempting to cure it, since, obviously, it is hopeless?

So, from your example, they'd be more mother and child than sides of a coin?
Also, there is a difference between hopelessness and despair. Without hope there is no despair as there is no loss of hope. By surrendering hope one removes the possibility of despair, but I digress.
There's more reason to why we cure diseases and such than mere hope. Biological imperative and all that.

AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe

Also, there is a difference between hopelessness and despair. Without hope there is no despair as there is no loss of hope. By surrendering hope one removes the possibility of despair, but I digress.
There's more reason to why we cure diseases and such than mere hope. Biological imperative and all that.

Biological imperative is useless without hope. Hope kills the 'why bother' mindset.
You're attempting to claim that we have drive to build/create/cure without hope. It's the cornerstone, the fuel for all that happens.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn

Biological imperative is useless without hope. Hope kills the 'why bother' mindset.
You're attempting to claim that we have drive to build/create/cure without hope. It's the cornerstone, the fuel for all that happens.

That's assuming apathy is the dominating force in the base human mindset.
While I agree that it's a hell of a big one, I cannot agree that it's the greatest force therein.

AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn

While I agree that it's a hell of a big one, I cannot agree that it's the greatest force therein.

With no start, there is no finish. Thus, while it cannot replace intellect, it does give intellect the motivation to attempt the supposed impossible.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn
Old Blue Collar Joe
AsuraSyn

With no start, there is no finish. Thus, while it cannot replace intellect, it does give intellect the motivation to attempt the supposed impossible.

On this we will have to agree to disagree.

Devoted Explorer

AsuraSyn
Major Lima Charlie
AsuraSyn
Major Lima Charlie
AsuraSyn

Hilarious.

The majority of humanity is about equal to any other form of animal life, except more aggressive in it's consumption of resources. They don't strive for anything more noble than a full belly and something shiny to paw at.
It's easy to see if you simply stop looking at them as people.
Assumes I don't. Doesn't change the fact that life isn't statistics. Reducing people to numbers to be tweaked is mad.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff