Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would charging Cassandra Kennedy discourage sexual assault victims to come forward to report attacks?

Yes. 0.15909090909091 15.9% [ 7 ]
No. 0.47727272727273 47.7% [ 21 ]
Maybe/I don't know. 0.36363636363636 36.4% [ 16 ]
Total Votes:[ 44 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 20 21 22

Keltoi Samurai
Miss-dark8607
Keltoi Samurai
Reichanthrope
I think there's a lot about this case we don't know about. The guy didn't rape her and shouldn't have been charged for that, but why the hell was she sexually active so young? Who the hell was having sex with her that gave her the physical trauma of having been raped by a grown-a** man? How distant was the father that a child would decide that any of the things she was doing were okay to do?

We shouldn't be screaming for punishment without investigating more, that's what got them in the mess in the first place.

that question is about as valid as asking if a rape victim enjoyed it, or dressed provocatively.

it's victim-blaming, or at least, it would be, if men were allowed to be victims.

Agreed however the sex at second grade kind of makes it worth digging into. I'm thinking another "adult" is as fault here.

perhaps, but the odds of knowing who it was are pretty slim, seeing as she used the evidence of THAT incident to screw her own father out of a decade of his life.

her decision to come forward with her rape ( assuming the other party was an adult, or that if it were someone her own age, it was done against her will. call me crazy, but I'd hesitate to call it rape if it were a classmate of comparable age and she agreed to it uncoerced, though it would lead to questions about how she may have learned such things ) and pin it on someone she KNEW didn't do it kinda means the actual guilty party gets away, and gets to rape again at a later time.

HEY! that's the EXACT thing Silk wanted to prevent by throwing this guy to the wolves!
That's why there should be no statute of limitations for rape (and other rape-like crimes), rape shield laws that preclude a defense from bringing up the fact that she lied about these things in the past, and the standard of evidence lowered from "beyond a reasonable doubt" to "some credible evidence". Better to lock up ten innocent men than to let one guilty man walk free, amirite? ********' feminists...
Miss-dark8607
Keltoi Samurai

perhaps, but the odds of knowing who it was are pretty slim, seeing as she used the evidence of THAT incident to screw her own father out of a decade of his life.

her decision to come forward with her rape ( assuming the other party was an adult, or that if it were someone her own age, it was done against her will. call me crazy, but I'd hesitate to call it rape if it were a classmate of comparable age and she agreed to it uncoerced, though it would lead to questions about how she may have learned such things ) and pin it on someone she KNEW didn't do it kinda means the actual guilty party gets away, and gets to rape again at a later time.

HEY! that's the EXACT thing Silk wanted to prevent by throwing this guy to the wolves!

Agreed I'm not excusing or justifying her actions either because even at that age most of us know lying like that is wrong. But hey people really do know how to ******** up kids and in turn they can ******** up the people around them. Like that really messed up South Park episode when all the kids lied on their parents and got then thrown in jail. I forget what started it but yeah. I also remember a story about this one psychologist that got kids to lied about abuse on their parents just so he could get quick money. emo Overall, I feel bad for everyone this time around as the girl seem to had a messed up life from the get go and of course her father's life is messed up too. It was a real lose lose here.

Also what if she lying about lying? gonk
I hope you feel the same way the next time you hear about some serial killing rapist who only did what he did because of extreme parental abuse or whatever. Seriously. wink But I doubt you will.
Somebody should tell Macai that rape shield laws only prevent the defence from using sexual history as a defence.
Lokshen
Keltoi Samurai
Lokshen
Ontological Empiricism
So I have a hypothetical question to throw out there, too:

If you were the father, in this case, how would you feel toward your daughter after she lied and said you raped her, and then leaving you in jail for a decade before coming clean?

You've lost ten years of your life, ten years which you can never get back. Be that as it may, would you demand reparations? Would you disown your daughter?

For me, I probably would, on both counts.

Easily disown her, I don't think I could accept her as my child at that point. I might be inclined to demand restitution, but I doubt I'd get anything anyway.

it was fear of losing him what she cited as the reason she did it in the first place.

don't you think she wouldn't use that knowledge to try and hold YOU hostage, if you were the father? basically, you try to disown her, she goes to the police and says you raped her, then it's right back to jail until she starts to feel bad again

At this point who would believe a single thing she said now? At this point any rape claim she makes will be suspect and I personally wouldn't even allow her near me.

Disown her and let her lead her life into ruin if she so chooses.
"The best revenge is to live well."
low iq 111
Lokshen
Keltoi Samurai
Lokshen
Ontological Empiricism

If you were the father, in this case, how would you feel toward your daughter after she lied and said you raped her, and then leaving you in jail for a decade before coming clean?

You've lost ten years of your life, ten years which you can never get back. Be that as it may, would you demand reparations? Would you disown your daughter?

Easily disown her, I don't think I could accept her as my child at that point. I might be inclined to demand restitution, but I doubt I'd get anything anyway.

it was fear of losing him what she cited as the reason she did it in the first place.

don't you think she wouldn't use that knowledge to try and hold YOU hostage, if you were the father? basically, you try to disown her, she goes to the police and says you raped her, then it's right back to jail until she starts to feel bad again

At this point who would believe a single thing she said now? At this point any rape claim she makes will be suspect and I personally wouldn't even allow her near me.

well isn't that mature... just because someone does a heinous act doesn't mean everyone gives up on them

Well, lets have you locked in prison for a crime you didn't commit and see how charitable and loving you feel after that.
Lokshen
low iq 111
Lokshen
Keltoi Samurai
Lokshen
Ontological Empiricism

well isn't that mature... just because someone does a heinous act doesn't mean everyone gives up on them

Well, lets have you locked in prison for a crime you didn't commit and see how charitable and loving you feel after that.

and this is why victims aren't allowed to pass judgment.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Sky Does Not Bow
Lokshen
low iq 111
Lokshen
Keltoi Samurai

I'm going to remember this for the next time a rape victim is crying for the castration of her attacker.

I've found that, by actually engaging you, you're a fairly reasonable person, so I'm sure you'll understand
Keltoi Samurai
The Sky Does Not Bow
Lokshen
low iq 111
Lokshen
Keltoi Samurai

I'm going to remember this for the next time a rape victim is crying for the castration of her attacker.

I've found that, by actually engaging you, you're a fairly reasonable person, so I'm sure you'll understand

Yeah, sure? I don't think I've ever said victims of sexual assault should be allowed to castrate their attackers.
Keltoi Samurai
The Sky Does Not Bow
Lokshen
low iq 111
Lokshen
Keltoi Samurai

I'd ask what judgement is being passed? Is a person not entitled to decide who they associate with and spend time with?
Keltoi Samurai
being "clearly messed up" is about as much a mitigating factor on her actions as being "clearly messed up" would be a mitigating factor in the case of a serial rapist.

The difference here being serial rapists usually aren't emotionally damaged little girls, but we should work on healing those people, too.

Quote:
as for the "she was just 11," well, little girl's actions had big girl consequences, and I'm sorry, but if you've made it to 11 without figuring out "lying's bad," then that's a major failing. the fact that she didn't figure out "lying to hurt other people is wrong" for ten more years doesn't exactly help make the case that it was just a youthful indiscretion, either.

Yes, but is it a major failing of the child, the parents, her teachers, the police, or society? You have to understand putting yourself in someone else's shoes isn't just "would I call my parents rapists and have them taken away forever?" It's much more complex and emotionally icky than that. You haven't had the same exact history of abuse and daddy issues. It's ******** up, yeah, but you're not being open-minded.

Quote:
tell me, what if her youthful indiscretion had been malicious arson? would you view her attitude of "I just wanted to watch him burn" as just a troubled innocent?

Absolutely, and that isn't even the attitude she had in this case. And I'm not talking "just a troubled innocent" like some kid doing Halloween vandalism, I'm saying this girl needs HELP with her problems more than she needs to be stoned by an angry mob. I'm more about education and forgiveness than punishment, especially in the case of children.

Hell, for all we know, she might have said he was innocent before now, but nobody believed her.
Reichanthrope

The difference here being serial rapists usually aren't emotionally damaged little girls, but we should work on healing those people, too.

So an emotionally damaged girl who ruins someones life is to be forgiven, given understanding and sympathy and clearly is F'd up...

But the boy who rapes is not emotionally damaged, he's just evil or something?

Reichanthrope

Yes, but is it a major failing of the child, the parents, her teachers, the police, or society? You have to understand putting yourself in someone else's shoes isn't just "would I call my parents rapists and have them taken away forever?" It's much more complex and emotionally icky than that. You haven't had the same exact history of abuse and daddy issues. It's ******** up, yeah, but you're not being open-minded.

I wonder if the serial rapist gets this much understanding.

How about being open minded to the person falsely accused and losing 10 years of their life?
Lokshen
Reichanthrope

So an emotionally damaged girl who ruins someones life is to be forgiven, given understanding and sympathy and clearly is F'd up...

But the boy who rapes is not emotionally damaged, he's just evil or something?

But we should work on healing those people, too. I don't know where you're getting the anti-man sentiment from, but I believe in helping and forgiving everyone.

Quote:
I wonder if the serial rapist gets this much understanding.

How about being open minded to the person falsely accused and losing 10 years of their life?

Definitely. I can't really speak for him as much since he's keeping hush about the whole thing, but arguing that the child was damaged and also A CHILD doesn't suddenly mean the father isn't a victim, too.

Familiar Friend

Lokshen
low iq 111
Lokshen
Keltoi Samurai
Lokshen
Ontological Empiricism

ok
I think the biggest punishment will be that nobody will believe anything she says and she will be like universally hated and ostracized. I mean, will she have any family willing to even look at her after such a betrayal?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff