Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just wondering if it is possible to be racist against your own race. For example if a black person finds the n-word offensive and insulting to his people hears a black person singing a rap song using that word does it make it racist even if it is a black person singing the song. If it doesn't why does it make it racist if a white person sings the same rap song.

If a white person hates his culture and how white people look wanting to look Asian and follow Asian culture does that make him racist against his race.

Does appearance determine race? I know this Japanese girl both of her parents look Japanese, but on one side her grandparents was white and she turned out blonde hair and blue eyes ( and no they are both her real genetic parents) looking more white than Japanese, does that make her race Japanese or not?

NOTE: Race used here is really ethnicity, but used race as it made sense because of the racist part of the questions.
Tackle and Tickle
For example if a black person finds the n-word offensive and insulting to his people hears a black person singing a rap song using that word does it make it racist even if it is a black person singing the song.

No.

Tackle and Tickle
If a white person hates his culture and how white people look wanting to look Asian and follow Asian culture does that make him racist against his race.

No.

Tackle and Tickle
Does appearance determine race? I know this Japanese girl both of her parents look Japanese, but on one side her grandparents was white and she turned out blonde hair and blue eyes ( and no they are both her real genetic parents) looking more white than Japanese, does that make her race Japanese or not?

NOTE: Race used here is really ethnicity, but used race as it made sense because of the racist part of the questions.

No pics.

Fanatical Zealot

Uh... if we determine that "race" exists, then yes, you can be racist against your own "race".

Zealot

Suicidesoldier#1
Uh... if we determine that "race" exists, then yes, you can be racist against your own "race".
So you're trying to say that if I don't think race exists, then I can never be racist?
Dieu des hommes
Suicidesoldier#1
So you're trying to say that if I don't think race exists, then I can never be racist?

You are not we.
- talk2hand

Versatile Gaian

I'm racist against myself in a comedic sense.

I determine race as Sicilian/Italian ethnicity.

Also my view on what humans have done over the past 50 years leads me to a negative view of humanity. It's not racism, technically, because I have a reason which is related to action.

Racism itself is a joke. "Oh look, you're a different color than me. Get in the pits!"
I hold to the principle that I shall not insult someone on their attributes/born-attributes, and things that are beyond their control.

You're born what color you are. Your parents (kida) determine what color you are within a range.
I can't insult you based on what color you are, because you did not pick that color. You can't (?) change it. You aren't responsible for it.

Actions and decisions I see as fair game.

I don't care if you're black or white, killing someone because of an obscure sentence in an obscure book is a reason for me to insult you.
Chris Matthews.

iMrsWalker's Husband

Lazy Husband

9,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Hesitant Participant 100
It would be more like a dislike of a lifestyle then of a race.
Tackle and Tickle
I just wondering if it is possible to be racist against your own race. For example if a black person finds the n-word offensive and insulting to his people hears a black person singing a rap song using that word does it make it racist even if it is a black person singing the song. If it doesn't why does it make it racist if a white person sings the same rap song.

Inb4:

P.S. Times have changed, and apparently you were never with them to begin with. Saying ***** is always okay for black people because it's not the same word, and it's starting to become okay for white boys too. Maybe you can't go on the radio like that but people generally know you're not being racist.

Garbage

Dieu des hommes
Suicidesoldier#1
No, you can still be racist if you don't believe in race, you just won't believe you're racist.
Tackle and Tickle
I just wondering if it is possible to be racist against your own race.

Sure.

Racism is social perceptions of biological differences (... whether those differences actually exist or not) that manifest in prejudices, discrimination or favoritism.

So, let's say we had a social perception that "all white people are thieves." That's a stereotype that I've created that now exists in society. The prejudice will have a detrimental effect on white people in society, e.g. store clerks are distrusting and rude towards all those thieving white customers, the police feel that they should keep a better eye on white people in pricey stores, and judges are going to tend to give stricter sentences to white people convicted of larceny (... after all, those whites are just going to steal again!!).

In such a society, it doesn't matter who expresses the prejudice, but that the prejudice exists in the first place. If a white person believes that "all white people are thieves" and thus acts or argues that the perception is true, all she is doing is supporting those prejudices. Sure, she may be white herself and I'd argue that she's a probably a victim of the prejudice, but like everyone else she's still holding a racist view.
conconconcrete wall
Tackle and Tickle

Inb4:

P.S. Times have changed, and apparently you were never with them to begin with. Saying n***a is always okay for black people because it's not the same word, and it's starting to become okay for white boys too. Maybe you can't go on the radio like that but people generally know you're not being racist.

It is the same word all that is different is the color of the person saying the word. What you mean is the context used is different in most cases or at least assumed to be different. I still think it should be pointed out that it is a racist terminology no matter the context and color of the person. If it wasn't racist it would not matter what color you are and you be allowed to say it without having to censor the word in such places as Gaia Online or news radio. On a side note time may have caused social changes, but to assume I was not around for them is misleading. Just because I saw the arise of the Internet and the spread of social media does not make me behind the times.
conconconcrete wall
Tackle and Tickle

Inb4:

P.S. Times have changed, and apparently you were never with them to begin with. Saying ***** is always okay for black people because it's not the same word, and it's starting to become okay for white boys too. Maybe you can't go on the radio like that but people generally know you're not being racist.

Are you the black people representative? Why wasn't I notified?

Fashionable Millionaire

7,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Friendly 100
What is racist is very subjective. So the answer would be yes.
Tackle and Tickle
conconconcrete wall
Tackle and Tickle

Inb4:

P.S. Times have changed, and apparently you were never with them to begin with. Saying n***a is always okay for black people because it's not the same word, and it's starting to become okay for white boys too. Maybe you can't go on the radio like that but people generally know you're not being racist.

It is the same word all that is different is the color of the person saying the word.

Not at all. I just now thought of this, but, consider the harsh, clipped, controlled "er" at the end of the word "******". Contrast that with the open-ended "a" sound at the end of the word "*****". It's a freer pronunciation, and that's good for a reclaimed word. Word reclamation also often contains a small alteration, as with that of the Rastafari. Also, consider that the meaning is altered from "lowly subhuman" to "brother, friend, or person". It is not the same word. That is a misconception. I hope you now can see that.

Quote:
What you mean is the context used is different in most cases or at least assumed to be different. I still think it should be pointed out that it is a racist terminology no matter the context and color of the person. If it wasn't racist it would not matter what color you are and you be allowed to say it without having to censor the word in such places as Gaia Online or news radio. On a side note time may have caused social changes, but to assume I was not around for them is misleading. Just because I saw the arise of the Internet and the spread of social media does not make me behind the times.

It's been reclaimed. The old word is still racist. The new word is not. Also, not knowing or being around the difference enough to acknowledge it is seen as backwards, even though personally I think we should just educate people as to the new facts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff