Welcome to Gaia! ::

Recently a toddler, aged 3, reached for an iphone to play with it in his mother's purse, and pulled out some kind of pistol, and shot both mother and father.Neither received fatal wounds, but I have to ask, is there a mechanism that can more effectively child proof a firearm, for children who are just too stupid to know?

What occurs to me is a safety or readiness, such as not having the chamber loaded. A safety can be strong enough to prevent a toddler from flipping it, while racking a slide is something generally impossible for toddlers, especially with concealed carry weapons that tend to have stronger springs to mitigate recoil.

While some firearms have hair triggers, or easy safeties, or need to be ready to fire quickly, it seems to me if you have toddlers or infants around, you want an extra step of precaution.

Some swords have extremely tight sheaths, and cannot be wielded by toddlers. Some destructive devices are either too heavy to wield, or are kept out of reach (as much as is possible).

While clever children can always find ways to kill people with household tools, I think children as young as toddlers and infants are at a threshold where raw strength requirements can be a functional boundary, and such a boundary should be emphasized for gun safety when small children are present.

Conservative Genius

8,925 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
That mechanism is called having common ******** sense.

If you have a child, and you have a firearm; logic dictates you put that firearm in a place where the child can't get to it.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Raginmund Brigir
That mechanism is called having common ******** sense.

If you have a child, and you have a firearm; logic dictates you put that firearm in a place where the child can't get to it.

Or, at the very least, not keep your cell phone and handgun in the same place if you're expecting your child to help themselves to your phone.

Hygienic Noob

Here's a novel idea: If you have kids, you either lock up the guns or get rid of them. stare

Anyone who's toddler fires their gun should be prosecuted for child endangerment and discharging a weapon in a public area.
You can carry a revolver with a heavy trigger pull or have a semi-auto with a loaded mag and empty chamber. The revolver may not be too much of an issue with a 10lb trigger pull, but a good deal of women can't rack the slide on a .45.

If a child is too young to understand the firearm, you should keep it on you and in a holster, have it locked up or hanging high up on the wall.

It really is not hard to have a firearm exactly where you need it and when, without a child too young to understand and handle them be able to get to it or fire it.

Fanatical Zealot

1911's have a great number of safeties, such as the grip safety, which is natural in your hand if you're holding it correctly, but hard to set off otherwise, and needs a lot of safeties turned off at the same time, but fits the hand nearly perfectly.

Of course, if you keep a round in the chamber or the baby knows how to use a gun, it wouldn't be completely proof, but, it would be better. Idk, some extra safeties that would be ridiculous or improbable to accidentally turn off all at the same time as a coincidence, but ergonomic enough to not make the weapon unnecessarily complicated. The military style 1911 reminds me of that, but it's probably not perfect. A trigger safety is a pretty popular modern feature.

EDIT: I suppose also, a holster that covers the trigger so you can't accidentally pull it, and maybe a metal thing over the barrel to stop the bullet if it does go off by accident. Just get using to racking the slide back, and be prepared for it to bite you, mentally, if you have to do it real quickly.

Shirtless Member

Most/all guns have a safety mechanism. It's literally called the safety. Some safety's are easy to switch off, others are tricky. But the fact that that possibly retarded parent failed to have their safety on, much less allowed the firearm to get into the toddlers reach, should hopefully be a message to other parents who own firearms. Unfortunately the ones who deserve to be shot by their toddlers probably wont learn s**t.

Edit: Also, the effective childproofing of a firearm is called 'parenting.' It has been known to fail many times, and is a feature that should be switched for a more effective set of 'parents' if any degree of failure to function is detected.

Conservative Regular

A Good holster, and control over the firearms at all times makes it 100% toddler proof
Michael Noire
Recently a toddler, aged 3, reached for an iphone to play with it in his mother's purse, and pulled out some kind of pistol, and shot both mother and father.Neither received fatal wounds, but I have to ask, is there a mechanism that can more effectively child proof a firearm, for children who are just too stupid to know?

What occurs to me is a safety or readiness, such as not having the chamber loaded. A safety can be strong enough to prevent a toddler from flipping it, while racking a slide is something generally impossible for toddlers, especially with concealed carry weapons that tend to have stronger springs to mitigate recoil.

While some firearms have hair triggers, or easy safeties, or need to be ready to fire quickly, it seems to me if you have toddlers or infants around, you want an extra step of precaution.

Some swords have extremely tight sheaths, and cannot be wielded by toddlers. Some destructive devices are either too heavy to wield, or are kept out of reach (as much as is possible).

While clever children can always find ways to kill people with household tools, I think children as young as toddlers and infants are at a threshold where raw strength requirements can be a functional boundary, and such a boundary should be emphasized for gun safety when small children are present.

Basically, if you want your weapon to be ready at a moment's notice, then its impossible to make it child-proof. Its really that simple.

So, if you want a weapon to be child-safe, then you need to sacrifice some of its utility. Good luck telling that to Beaucifus who needs his gun to shoot dem der gubmint agents because "Don't tread on me!".

Dapper Reveler

Riviera de la Mancha
Michael Noire

Basically, if you want your weapon to be ready at a moment's notice, then its impossible to make it child-proof. Its really that simple.

So, if you want a weapon to be child-safe, then you need to sacrifice some of its utility. Good luck telling that to Beaucifus who needs his gun to shoot dem der gubmint agents because "Don't tread on me!".
Adding a couple of seconds to wield time is not as great as the many minutes till police will often arrive. Besides something like a heavy duty after wouldn't take much longer than a normal safety.
Avgvsto
Riviera de la Mancha
Michael Noire

Adding a couple of seconds to wield time is not as great as the many minutes till police will often arrive. Besides something like a heavy duty after wouldn't take much longer than a normal safety.

I am not sure what you are trying to say.

it seems to me moms with guns should carry double action only revolvers with stronger trigger springs. Right now, a lot of women are starting to carry guns, because someone finally figured out women were more likely to be victimized.

to be fair, a woman who puts her pistol in her purse should probably try to remember purse snatchers will also be stealing their pistols. I know this a duh moment, but women frequently analyze the situation as "purse equals quick access + concealability". Now, I've seen situations where the outfit of a women makes a concealed pistol far too obvious, and the purse is the practical solution.

There are no perfect answers.

But a stronger trigger pull must exist that is both weak enough for an adult mother to fire, but also strong enough to prevent toddlers from firing it.

Safeties, in my experience, are almost always incredibly easy to turn off.

Most children who are killed by loaded guns are also killed by guns that already have bullets in the chamber. Revolvers are neat in that you can leave one chamber empty, although that can be a bit confusing and dangerous, because at least one company has their revolver cylinder rotate in the opposite direction of the others, which means you have to know which direction to orient the bullets. Again, anyone who is stupid enough to have their child's favorite toy in the same pocket of a loaded gun?

The only real safety here is making a "can be fired at will" firearm simply too strong for a toddler. I have an old 30-06 refurbished rifle for instance that requires about 18 lbs to chamber. Most of the little pocket pistols I've used have a really unpleasant trigger. To say it can't be done?

I think its a marketing thing. A gun dealer could advertise to women that some models are more child safe than others, simply because it's factual that toddlers can't fire them, even when they try.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Man, my dad's gun has a safety that's so ******** complicated... he has to shore me how every time.

I guess all guns should have complicated safeties like that, since people can't keep them out of the hands of toddlers. Geez.

And in the gun I'm used to, if there's not already a bullet in the chamber, the slidy bit is really hard to pull back. I guess that's the kind of gun to have.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Michael Noire

it seems to me moms with guns should carry double action only revolvers with stronger trigger springs. Right now, a lot of women are starting to carry guns, because someone finally figured out women were more likely to be victimized.

to be fair, a woman who puts her pistol in her purse should probably try to remember purse snatchers will also be stealing their pistols. I know this a duh moment, but women frequently analyze the situation as "purse equals quick access + concealability". Now, I've seen situations where the outfit of a women makes a concealed pistol far too obvious, and the purse is the practical solution.

There are no perfect answers.

But a stronger trigger pull must exist that is both weak enough for an adult mother to fire, but also strong enough to prevent toddlers from firing it.

Safeties, in my experience, are almost always incredibly easy to turn off.

Most children who are killed by loaded guns are also killed by guns that already have bullets in the chamber. Revolvers are neat in that you can leave one chamber empty, although that can be a bit confusing and dangerous, because at least one company has their revolver cylinder rotate in the opposite direction of the others, which means you have to know which direction to orient the bullets. Again, anyone who is stupid enough to have their child's favorite toy in the same pocket of a loaded gun?

The only real safety here is making a "can be fired at will" firearm simply too strong for a toddler. I have an old 30-06 refurbished rifle for instance that requires about 18 lbs to chamber. Most of the little pocket pistols I've used have a really unpleasant trigger. To say it can't be done?

I think its a marketing thing. A gun dealer could advertise to women that some models are more child safe than others, simply because it's factual that toddlers can't fire them, even when they try.

Fun fact: Those little half-moon cutouts on the cylinders of revolvers, encircling the rearmost part of it? Those always point in the direction that the cylinder rotates. There's that problem solved for you

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Found the news article this is from!

Also, I found a site that sells more safety stuff then just the guns safety. Its called safe action trigger. Seems like a done deal, then again, you should put guns in places where kids can just grab them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff