Welcome to Gaia! ::

first of all, there's been a long held battle cry by the far left claiming that it is pure delusion to believe "They are coming to get your guns" and they love labeling those with such concerns over confiscation as conspiracy theorist nut jobs. Ahem.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/09/iowa-lawmaker-calls-for-retroactive-gun-bans-confiscations-of-semi-automatic-weapons/

Quote:
Iowa lawmaker calls for retroactive gun ban, confiscation of semi-automatic weapons

state Rep. Dan Muhlbauer said governments should start confiscating semi-automatic rifles and other firearms.

Muhlbauer, a Democrat from the western Iowa town of Manilla, is a cattleman and farmer. The newspaper reported that he owns a .410 shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol.

“We cannot have big guns out here as far as the big guns that are out here, the semi-automatics and all of them,” Muhlbauer told the newspaper during a December 19 audiotaped interview. “We can’t have those running around out here. Those are not hunting weapons.”

So first there's Iowa, which is actually #2, considering Illinois has now twice attempted to pass legislation to ban guns:

Quote:

Illinois House Bill 815 and 1263, if passed, will impose restrictions on gun ranges, ban possession of high-capacity magazines (over 10 rounds), and ban all detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles and pistols. Further, the bills would establish a gun-registry and require all “legal” guns to be reported to the Illinois State Police.

The Bills, which passed the Public Health Committee on Wednesday January 2, 2013, will be up for vote in the general Illinois legislature no later than Tuesday, January 8.

Now my understanding of what happened, is during a period where most of the voting portion of the Illinois government was on vacation, a number of leftists came in to try to pass sweeping bans in the State, but couldn't get enough votes, and there was a brief victory cry by gun enthusiasts. Shortly after their premature pro pistol party, the same politicians regrouped and tried a second attempt with more pronounced policies, but an 11th hour showing of resistance combined with a failure of sufficient numbers resulted in a second setback subverting second amendment opponents.

Then cometh Cuomo:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/08/exclusive-cuomo-close-to-announcing-sweeping-new-gun-control-laws/
Quote:

EXCLUSIVE: Cuomo Close To Announcing Sweeping New Gun Control Laws
Governor Working On Deal That Would Go After Assault Weapons, Magazines

YONKERS, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A deal to give New York one of the toughest gun control laws in the nation is being negotiated by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who, sources said Tuesday, is hoping to announce the plan Wednesday during his State of the State speech in Albany.

Cuomo hopes to jump-start the 2013 legislative session with a big deal that could dramatically alter gun control laws across the state.

The governor and lawmakers are negotiating furiously in the hope that Cuomo can announce a deal during his speech Wednesday.

Sources said the package is expected to include:

• New restrictions on assault weapons
  • Stiffer penalties for using a gun to commit a crime
  • New limits on the number of bullets in a gun magazine

The most irritating aspect of any kind of gun grab is the total denial of it's existence. I think the blatant lying on the part of those who prefer a centralized government with armed troops and police combined with an unarmed defenseless civilian populous gives the left a bad name, and makes them look more deceptive than they should feel the need to be. If you really want a totalitarian regime, if you really want to confiscate all the guns to make your utopia, then be more open about it. Don't try to lull the old folks in old folks homes away from their life support and happy pills to vote in support of your kinder gentler bullshit, because if you plan on doing a real confiscation, there will be blood on the streets, and there is nothing kind or gentle - much less utopian about that.

You who support this kind of legislation are asking for what essentially parallels a communist revolution at gun point. The Irony is sadly lost upon you, for your solution to gun violence is to confiscate guns with gun violence. How in the hell does anyone expect a gun confiscation to be enforced except by police and/or military kicking in doors and holding GUNS to the heads of gun owners and then ROBBING THEM of their right to self defense? If gun confiscation is something you support in the name of peace then you are seriously deluded. Gun confiscations can be among the most bloody and violent acts of tyranny in the history of governed peoples - particularly when a large population is both armed and opposed to disarming.

For the sake of a few dozen people a year you will unwittingly call for the death of millions. This kind of legislative activity is irresponsible, and the violence that follows is a far cry from peace.
Nothing is going to happen to your stupid assault rifles, chicken little.
Project 429

I see literacy is on the decline among the left.

Quotable Autobiographer

i hope we delete all guns

teach a man how to kill with his bear hands

Lonely Loiterer

11,000 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Michael Noire

For the sake of a few dozen people a year - god rest their souls - you will unwittingly call for the death of millions. This kind of legislative activity is irresponsible, and the violence that follows is a far cry from peace.

For the sake of c. 8,000 American citizens a year - god rest their souls - we call for gun-throbbers to moderate their dangerous-hobby-too-close-to-the neighbours.

Every year, "self-defender" toys contribute 69% to America's murder rate.
And that murder rate is 3 times the murder rate in the rest of the 25 top developed nations in the world.

Your assumption / call to arms for gun-throbbers to shoot at the law officers of a democratic state makes a nonsense of any pretence that you're motivated by respect for the US Constitution.

A murdered person cannot hold down a job, their mortgage is foreclosed, their right to vote is revoked (except in Florida) and they are nailed into a coffin - surely a fairly significant loss of 'freedoms' ???
dragged into sunlight
i hope we delete all guns

teach a man how to kill with his bear hands

By all means, begin with the police. Then the military... of foreigners. Then your own country. Then all the criminals. Be sure to kill all the wild animals larger than a house cat while you are at it. Then you can "delete" all guns. No objections there.

Quotable Autobiographer

compensating for a lack of bear hands i see
Michael Noire
Project 429

It's not a decline of literacy. It's a fervent hope to catch people with their guard down.
You also forgot Emanuel, who lives and runs the deadliest town to live in, is proclaiming for MORE gun control because it's worked so ******** well to this point, and that Obama and Biden are planning an attempt to use executive orders if congress kicks it back in his face (so much for being a supposed 'constitutional lawyer'. I guess we can start calling him Adolph Obama now.)
Then Pelosi is in the middle of her attempt to grab guns.
That's fine. I'll simply report I sold all of mine and that mill and lathe in the corner? They're just for funzies. I make little trinkets and screws and bolts with them.
Nothing to see here, move along to the next target ya dictatorship loving shitbag.
And of course, the best part of all. Eventually, power WILL swing back to the other side, because it always does, and then the left will be screaming bloody murder over all these intrusive laws.
Yet...we're seeing the biggest power grab in history going on right now, and they're ******** cheering for it.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
LadyBramante
Michael Noire

For the sake of a few dozen people a year - god rest their souls - you will unwittingly call for the death of millions. This kind of legislative activity is irresponsible, and the violence that follows is a far cry from peace.

For the sake of c. 8,000 American citizens a year - god rest their souls - we call for gun-throbbers to moderate their dangerous-hobby-too-close-to-the neighbours.

And that murder rate is 3 times the murder rate in the rest of the 25 top developed nations in the world.

Your assumption / call to arms for gun-throbbers to shoot at the law officers of a democratic state makes a nonsense of any pretence that you're motivated by respect for the US Constitution.

A murdered person cannot hold down a job, their mortgage is foreclosed, their right to vote is revoked (except in Florida) and they are nailed into a coffin - surely a fairly significant loss of 'freedoms' ???

I'm going to need some sources for your above points -- particularly the statistic, since statistics can be made up on the spot.

Devoted Explorer

Michael Noire
Project 429

429's not a leftist. But please, continue. I've invented an engine that runs purely on confirmation bias and you're providing enough fuel to power New York City for a whole month.
LadyBramante
Michael Noire

There are 311 million people in the United States. There were 31 million people in the United States in 1861. There were between 625,000 and 700,000 killed in the Civil War. Adjusting for population - without even compensating for the killing capacity of modern weapons - you are looking at 6-7 million dead, and over 10 million causalities counting the wounded. It would take over 800 YEARS for your peaceful hippy bullshit to pay back that loss of life. 8,000 seems like a lot, but it's just a drop in the bucket. You have no idea what kind of Pandora's box you are praying for.
Major Lima Charlie
Michael Noire
Project 429

429's not a leftist. But please, continue. I've invented an engine that runs purely on confirmation bias and you're providing enough fuel to power New York City for a whole month.

Are you seriously going to deny the fact that they are, indeed, going after a LOT of firearms?

Devoted Explorer

Old Blue Collar Joe
Major Lima Charlie
Michael Noire
Project 429

Are you seriously going to deny the fact that they are, indeed, going after a LOT of firearms?
It's a lot of post conflict firefighting that won't amount to much, at all.

Seriously, folks said that after the Aurora shooting. Nothing happened. Nothing ever does.
Major Lima Charlie
Old Blue Collar Joe
Major Lima Charlie
Michael Noire
Project 429

Seriously, folks said that after the Aurora shooting. Nothing happened. Nothing ever does.

And when was the last time it was at this pitch? No thanks. I'd rather let them know quite well how unpopular this actually is rather than sit on the sidelines because those on the left want to attempt to downplay it so their opposition is sitting around like dumbasses.
Way too many are taking actions that are decidedly unconstitutional, and they need to be shouted down and told to go home.

Devoted Explorer

Old Blue Collar Joe
Major Lima Charlie
Old Blue Collar Joe
Major Lima Charlie
Michael Noire
Project 429

And when was the last time it was at this pitch? No thanks. I'd rather let them know quite well how unpopular this actually is rather than sit on the sidelines because those on the left want to attempt to downplay it so their opposition is sitting around like dumbasses.
Way too many are taking actions that are decidedly unconstitutional, and they need to be shouted down and told to go home.
If gun rights advocates are seriously about Constitutionality, they need to start shouting down DOMA and gay marriage bans. Then we'll know they're serious. Oftentimes it seems they're selective about what parts of the Constitution they want enforced. Can't have that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff