Welcome to Gaia! ::

The New Wineskin
Count Army Leader
The New Wineskin
Brave New World, primarily because it more accurately reflects the modern world. While in 1984, Big Brother uses oppression and censorship to control and manipulate the peoples to His will, Brave New World shows a world of distraction. The government mandates a stream of entertainment industry that overshadows the actions of the governments and political issues. Soon after, the want for entertainment will reduced the amount of people who genuinely sought out knowledge; this was helped by censorship of science, which was viewed as harmful to the State as it is the seeking of truth by its very nature.

The symbolism is more powerful, the writing is better (in my opinion), and the themes and events in the book more closely fit reality than 1984 do, even if both can very well occur in some sense or another.

You say that Brave New World fits closer to reality than 1984 does, and yet with 1984 you can see a definite link with actual societies now and in the past. For example, 1984 can be seen to be based off of Russia and it's Empire in 1900-1917 and from then on, and even uses the same names for peasants (Proles in 1984 Proletariat in Russian society)
You can also see huge links in control and censorship between the book and North Korea at the moment, especially with the use of continuous propoganda that you can turn down but never turn off (radios in North Korea but Televisions in 1984).
So, through this you can see that the Totalitarian dictation is already occuring and has happened, of course not over the whole world, but it has occured.
But Brave New World's theories can also be seen in today, however they are only at the beginning of their process, and so have yet to fully be seen to occur/ have occured.

?

Let me rephrase that, then: Brave New World better fits modern, capitalistic society than that of 1984. razz

Or Aladin, perhaps.

Swashbuckling Wench

7,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
The New Wineskin
Count Army Leader
The New Wineskin
Brave New World, primarily because it more accurately reflects the modern world. While in 1984, Big Brother uses oppression and censorship to control and manipulate the peoples to His will, Brave New World shows a world of distraction. The government mandates a stream of entertainment industry that overshadows the actions of the governments and political issues. Soon after, the want for entertainment will reduced the amount of people who genuinely sought out knowledge; this was helped by censorship of science, which was viewed as harmful to the State as it is the seeking of truth by its very nature.

The symbolism is more powerful, the writing is better (in my opinion), and the themes and events in the book more closely fit reality than 1984 do, even if both can very well occur in some sense or another.

You say that Brave New World fits closer to reality than 1984 does, and yet with 1984 you can see a definite link with actual societies now and in the past. For example, 1984 can be seen to be based off of Russia and it's Empire in 1900-1917 and from then on, and even uses the same names for peasants (Proles in 1984 Proletariat in Russian society)
You can also see huge links in control and censorship between the book and North Korea at the moment, especially with the use of continuous propoganda that you can turn down but never turn off (radios in North Korea but Televisions in 1984).
So, through this you can see that the Totalitarian dictation is already occuring and has happened, of course not over the whole world, but it has occured.
But Brave New World's theories can also be seen in today, however they are only at the beginning of their process, and so have yet to fully be seen to occur/ have occured.

?

Let me rephrase that, then: Brave New World better fits modern, capitalistic society than that of 1984. razz

Okay that I can agree with. So in turn they are both accumulating but just in different parts of the world. I wouldn't necessarily agree with the modern bit since both ideas are happening now in the present, but I do agree with the Capitalism bit, due to 1984 being much more Left wing than right emotion_c8
Britain's social position in Nineteen Eighty-Four confuses me. The political movement is named Ingsoc, and the administrative facilities are in London, but its name is delegated to "Air Strip One".

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Count Army Leader
The New Wineskin
Count Army Leader
The New Wineskin

?

Okay that I can agree with. So in turn they are both accumulating but just in different parts of the world. I wouldn't necessarily agree with the modern bit since both ideas are happening now in the present, but I do agree with the Capitalism bit, due to 1984 being much more Left wing than right emotion_c8

I was not trying to imply that 1984 is not applicable today. I was trying to say that Brave New World is almost exclusively applicable in the modern world.

Swashbuckling Wench

7,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
The New Wineskin
Count Army Leader
The New Wineskin
Count Army Leader
The New Wineskin

?

I was not trying to imply that 1984 is not applicable today. I was trying to say that Brave New World is almost exclusively applicable in the modern world.

Very true! That I can exclusively agree with biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces