Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Fairy

15,425 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Partygoer 500
Out of the two, Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, and George Orwel's 1984, which do you find more interesting and why?

Personally I can not decide. I find Aldous Huxley interesting since we have yet to breed humans in that way scientifically, if you could call it science. But I like the totalitarianism of 1984 because of the fact that many societies have gone is way, where all thought is stamped out.
Brave New World, I loved the symbolism.
I like 1984 better myself, but Huxley's idea that we could have so much entertainment that we simply can't be concerned with real issues maybe reflects on us a little more
I prefer Philip K d**k, you know, when it isn't so obvious,

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Brave New World, primarily because it more accurately reflects the modern world. While in 1984, Big Brother uses oppression and censorship to control and manipulate the peoples to His will, Brave New World shows a world of distraction. The government mandates a stream of entertainment industry that overshadows the actions of the governments and political issues. Soon after, the want for entertainment will reduced the amount of people who genuinely sought out knowledge; this was helped by censorship of science, which was viewed as harmful to the State as it is the seeking of truth by its very nature.

The symbolism is more powerful, the writing is better (in my opinion), and the themes and events in the book more closely fit reality than 1984 do, even if both can very well occur in some sense or another.

Quotable Shapeshifter

10,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Olympian 200
I prefer 1984. The society seems more organically grown, and the personal psychological narrative and descent seems more realistic.

Frankly, I thought Brave New World was terribly boring and dull. I suppose part of that might be the level of female character involvement. In 1984, Julia was pure foil and fan-service and was never really expected to be anything else. But Brave New World tried too hard to get into the mind of women living in various circumstances in that society, and...gah, it was just painful. Huxley wrote as if we were alien creatures with foreign wants and desires, all revolving around men, sex, and reproduction, and the worst of it was that he seemed to really think he was discussing something universal about womankind while doing it.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Hong-Nan
Out of the two, Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, and George Orwel's 1984, which do you find more interesting and why?

Personally I can not decide. I find Aldous Huxley interesting since we have yet to breed humans in that way scientifically, if you could call it science. But I like the totalitarianism of 1984 because of the fact that many societies have gone is way, where all thought is stamped out.

Orwell for me. And for the reason you stated.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Tahpenes
I prefer 1984. The society seems more organically grown, and the personal psychological narrative and descent seems more realistic.

Frankly, I thought Brave New World was terribly boring and dull. I suppose part of that might be the level of female character involvement. In 1984, Julia was pure foil and fan-service and was never really expected to be anything else. But Brave New World tried too hard to get into the mind of women living in various circumstances in that society, and...gah, it was just painful. Huxley wrote as if we were alien creatures with foreign wants and desires, all revolving around men, sex, and reproduction, and the worst of it was that he seemed to really think he was discussing something universal about womankind while doing it.

This mindset is set in a society where sexual activity was considered obsolete and almost grotesque, though. I cannot tell if this is a point towards or against the idea that women would have more sexualized thoughts. razz

Quotable Shapeshifter

10,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Olympian 200
The New Wineskin
Tahpenes

This mindset is set in a society where sexual activity was considered obsolete and almost grotesque, though. I cannot tell if this is a point towards or against the idea that women would have more sexualized thoughts. razz

Are you talking about 1984?

Regardless, the idea of "women" being affected by something in a nigh-universal way is ridiculous to me. Might as well ask, "Well, how should I write men in a world where sex is treated as blah-blah-blah. What will all of my male characters be like?" I mean...really. neutral
Probably 1984.

Brave New World started out really interesting but started to lose momentum near the end. 1984 started out a bit dull but had a great ending. 1984 also includes things that any government today could theoretically do... which makes it even more chilling.

Dapper Reveler

I don't read.
Brave New World, it's not used as much by libertarian nutjobs
The New Wineskin
Brave New World, primarily because it more accurately reflects the modern world. While in 1984, Big Brother uses oppression and censorship to control and manipulate the peoples to His will, Brave New World shows a world of distraction. The government mandates a stream of entertainment industry that overshadows the actions of the governments and political issues. Soon after, the want for entertainment will reduced the amount of people who genuinely sought out knowledge; this was helped by censorship of science, which was viewed as harmful to the State as it is the seeking of truth by its very nature.

The symbolism is more powerful, the writing is better (in my opinion), and the themes and events in the book more closely fit reality than 1984 do, even if both can very well occur in some sense or another.

when i was in a history of religious oppression class, one of the students came in startled. Her next door neighbor's door had been blasted in and destroyed, the students inside were raided and harassed... but they weren't the ones responsible. The real criminal - some kind of internet related crime or some similar, was in some other apartment. I cannot fully convey the horror these students experienced, but the campus was UC Davis, use your imagination.

This is one of many examples where I feel like 1984 more strongly fits the description people are experiencing. If I lived in the Bread Basket with my grandma and we watched Dr. Phil, and Dr. Oz, Then Brave New World would probably seem more applicable.

Dapper Phantom

Brave New World is one of my favorite books of all time. It's creepy in a sexy sci-fi way. I cannot give a fair opinion on this. xd

Original Fairy

15,425 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Partygoer 500
I love the discourse that is going on here. Interesting opinions from all.

I love though, the contrast of sexuality in both books and how each has played out in many societies across the world. In American culture we are more Huxlian becaue we feel the need to sexulize everything that we do while in other cultures for example where FGC (Female Genatal Circumcission)is practiced the orgasm is suppressed and stiffled as is the desire for sex as a pleasurable act. I mean FGC where the whole of the organ is cut off as well as the lips sewn together leaving only a small hole for urination. I am not referencing it where people just snip a small portion of the organ and it is more for cultural traditions than to prohibit pleasure of any kind.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff