Welcome to Gaia! ::

BDD is defined as a preoccupation with an imagined physical defect in appearance or a vastly exaggerated concern about a minimal defect. I'm concerned that a friend is suffering from this but how can you tell whether a person has BDD or whether they are just, due to adolescence, overly aware/ critical of themselves/their appearance?

Do you know anyone who suffers from this?
If that's the definition, nearly every single person I know is afflicted with it, including me. Christ, it's an epidemic! Break out the umbrellas, guys.
But when it starts to take over your life, affects schoolwork etc- that's when it's BDD.

I guess I'm just worried about her

4,000 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
If that's the right definition, then I have it. 3nodding
Well, instead of saying, "Im ugly," does she mainly obsess over one part of her body? For example, "My nose is giant and misshaped and disgusting." I'm not a psychologist by any means, but I think that's the definition.
Empress Sun
Well, instead of saying, "Im ugly," does she mainly obsess over one part of her body? For example, "My nose is giant and misshaped and disgusting." I'm not a psychologist by any means, but I think that's the definition.

Exactly- she always goes on about how her nose is so big, how she's going to get plastic surgery for it etc. But sometimes she feels a bit pushed out at home so I'm not sure whther maybe she just wants reassurance/attention
S0CCER_PRINCESS
Empress Sun

Exactly- she always goes on about how her nose is so big, how she's going to get plastic surgery for it etc. But sometimes she feels a bit pushed out at home so I'm not sure whther maybe she just wants reassurance/attention

Either way, it sounds like she could benefit from counseling.
S0CCER_PRINCESS
Empress Sun

So I guess I have BDD. Damn, and so does about every other teenage girl I know.
kyoudo
S0CCER_PRINCESS
Empress Sun

So I guess I have BDD. Damn, and so does about every other teenage girl I know.

It's only BDD if it's a true obsession. Like, you think about your nose so much that you can't focus on anything and cry yourself to sleep every night over it.
There are so many people who have it today. Trying to be perfect because they want to me accepted by the rest of society. I don't have it, I'm happy with the way my body is.
Raitaro
There are so many people who have it today. Trying to be perfect because they want to me accepted by the rest of society. I don't have it, I'm happy with the way my body is.

Good for you- to be honest I get sick of all of this "perfect body" nonsense in today's society. If it weren't for that then my best friend wouldn't be needing constant reassurance that no she is not fat and no nobody else thinks her nose is disfigured in any way
heh I have the opposite then. I embrace my deformaties! (if double jointed and hitch hikes thumb is a deformaty..I think it just might be a mutation though)
ThomasFyreClaw
heh I have the opposite then. I embrace my deformaties! (if double jointed and hitch hikes thumb is a deformaty..I think it just might be a mutation though)

I salute you!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces