Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Streaker

4,700 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Booty Tickle
silverbird6
id rather date someone my own color (im not saying what color i am, because i'd be racist if i did lolol....)

but really? I don't see any problem with a black dating site
what about those weird white people who actually PREFER to date blacks over whites? xp
They're not weird for having a certain preference

you're right haha >w<
and anyone who has a preference to date their own race isn't really racist, since its just a preference
i still wouldnt have any problems with race-based sites anyways >w>

Sexy Comrade

14,040 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Booty Tickle
Viinturuth
I don't see a problem with specific dating sites o^o It's not like anyone's forced to go there...
A friend of mine once got an account on an Amish dating site though lol She was banned for talking about Goats way too much.
Goats doe? lawl.

"Does anybody like goats?" "I really like goats."
It was great.

Darkesu's Darling

I don't have anything against the the site. I just feel bad for the people that participate in such a silly website is all.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Sir Fharlanghn
I don't have anything against the the site. I just feel bad for the people that participate in such a silly website is all.
Do you find the christianmingle & other sites silly?

Darkesu's Darling

Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
Yes I do think that those sites are silly as well.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Sir Fharlanghn
Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
Why? Sorry I'm just curious...

Darkesu's Darling

Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
Individuals that subjugate themselves to finding specific religious qualities in a significant other are ruining their opportunity to empathize with other religious beliefs, and thus are shutting themselves off from other people's culture. Granted, I don't believe that all cultures are worthwhile to experience first hand, but it seems to me that not wanting to date someone just because they don't have the same religious beliefs is silly. I just don't see it as a major factor in a relationship is all considering religion in my own opinion is about personal enlightenment and finding what makes you feel happy.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Sir Fharlanghn
Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
Individuals that subjugate themselves to finding specific religious qualities in a significant other are ruining their opportunity to empathize with other religious beliefs, and thus are shutting themselves off from other people's culture. Granted, I don't believe that all cultures are worthwhile to experience first hand, but it seems to me that not wanting to date someone just because they don't have the same religious beliefs is silly. I just don't see it as a major factor in a relationship is all considering religion in my own opinion is about personal enlightenment and finding what makes you feel happy.
Having someone share common beliefs is something to relate to. Imagine being atheist dating a christian and the christian wanted to go to church every sunday ect ect.

Darkesu's Darling

Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
Having someone share common beliefs is something to relate to. Imagine being atheist dating a christian and the christian wanted to go to church every sunday ect ect.
I know several people that do that. However, that doesn't stop them from loving each other. You don't need to have all the same beliefs and interests in order to get along.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Sir Fharlanghn
Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
Booty Tickle
Sir Fharlanghn
I know several people that do that. However, that doesn't stop them from loving each other. You don't need to have all the same beliefs and interests in order to get along.
Those people are truly great then, but not all people are like that. >.<
Yoshpet
Microwavable Marshmallow
Of course they aren't discriminated against everything..
Let me put it this way,
If someone has more rights than another person. If complete equality doesn't exist for two groups, there are only 3 ways to achieve equality.
I'll use women (which represents minorities in this example) and men (who represent majority)
Either men can give up some of their rights and bring themselves to the level of women (Let's use equal pay as a way to further this example). So men can accept lower pay to have it equal to the woman's pay.
Or, a woman can get higher pay to make it even to a man's
or, they meet somewhere in the middle.

Either way, it is a relative loss for the majority group. That's why it's so difficult for equality to come around, because either way the majority group has a relative loss, in a sense.

So by feeling excluded from this small group, I don't think it's an issue personally. They want to form a community based on their race because maybe they can relate to issues with each other. I wouldn't personally join ____singles.com for anything, but who knows. Who cares? In not minding people from joining communities, I don't feel threatened. It doesn't have much to do with me.
Also keeping people from forming these groups when they feel bound to certain aspects of their life which are harmless to people, such as their race or orientation or religion, it would ignoring a lot of what makes that person feel like a person and that deserves it's own attention and respect.

I agree with your analogy, in part. It makes sense to elevate the pay of a woman to meet that of a man for the exact same job. It doesn't make sense to lower a man's pay, because what will be done with the extra wages? More bonuses for the executives? And I don't know what the "compromise" option is as far as wage discrepency. They solve the problem but only partially?

I think these options apply to the Blackpeoplemeet.com situation as well. When black people don't want to be excluded from "white groups" such as a country club, they are right in their complaint. Why should they be excluded on the basis of race? Allowing them entry is option A and it makes sense. The other option would be to disband such organizations and disallow their creation. This is no fun for anyone and makes no sense. The "compromise" option is to create mutually exclusive clubs, one for whites only, one for blacks only. This will satisfy some but reeks of unnecessary segregation and separatist mentality. It is not progressive.

But what is actually happening is this: White people cannot have their own exclusive dating pool. Whitepeoplemeet.com doesn't exist because it would be deemed racist and torn down by people of all races. Blackpeoplemeet.com does exist and it precludes white members (maybe not literally, but in spirit) or any other race. Why is that not racist? Because they are a minority group? They are still discriminating on membership based on race. This is what we call a double standard and everyone knows those don't fly. They lack principle, their very existence is ironic and it is not progressive.

All dating sites should involve people of all races. If people are really that picky, themselves, they can be selective about who they reply to. (They already do.) Why create racially exclusive clubs when that's not okay for certain races? It just doesn't make sense. It shows a lack of ethic and it's hard to believe these people sincerely want equality.

Read on Malcolm X and his philosophy towards segregation of cultures and black culture.
It's debatable what is more progressive

Hilarious Prophet

Microwavable Marshmallow
Yoshpet
Microwavable Marshmallow
Of course they aren't discriminated against everything..
Let me put it this way,
If someone has more rights than another person. If complete equality doesn't exist for two groups, there are only 3 ways to achieve equality.
I'll use women (which represents minorities in this example) and men (who represent majority)
Either men can give up some of their rights and bring themselves to the level of women (Let's use equal pay as a way to further this example). So men can accept lower pay to have it equal to the woman's pay.
Or, a woman can get higher pay to make it even to a man's
or, they meet somewhere in the middle.

Either way, it is a relative loss for the majority group. That's why it's so difficult for equality to come around, because either way the majority group has a relative loss, in a sense.

So by feeling excluded from this small group, I don't think it's an issue personally. They want to form a community based on their race because maybe they can relate to issues with each other. I wouldn't personally join ____singles.com for anything, but who knows. Who cares? In not minding people from joining communities, I don't feel threatened. It doesn't have much to do with me.
Also keeping people from forming these groups when they feel bound to certain aspects of their life which are harmless to people, such as their race or orientation or religion, it would ignoring a lot of what makes that person feel like a person and that deserves it's own attention and respect.

I agree with your analogy, in part. It makes sense to elevate the pay of a woman to meet that of a man for the exact same job. It doesn't make sense to lower a man's pay, because what will be done with the extra wages? More bonuses for the executives? And I don't know what the "compromise" option is as far as wage discrepency. They solve the problem but only partially?

I think these options apply to the Blackpeoplemeet.com situation as well. When black people don't want to be excluded from "white groups" such as a country club, they are right in their complaint. Why should they be excluded on the basis of race? Allowing them entry is option A and it makes sense. The other option would be to disband such organizations and disallow their creation. This is no fun for anyone and makes no sense. The "compromise" option is to create mutually exclusive clubs, one for whites only, one for blacks only. This will satisfy some but reeks of unnecessary segregation and separatist mentality. It is not progressive.

But what is actually happening is this: White people cannot have their own exclusive dating pool. Whitepeoplemeet.com doesn't exist because it would be deemed racist and torn down by people of all races. Blackpeoplemeet.com does exist and it precludes white members (maybe not literally, but in spirit) or any other race. Why is that not racist? Because they are a minority group? They are still discriminating on membership based on race. This is what we call a double standard and everyone knows those don't fly. They lack principle, their very existence is ironic and it is not progressive.

All dating sites should involve people of all races. If people are really that picky, themselves, they can be selective about who they reply to. (They already do.) Why create racially exclusive clubs when that's not okay for certain races? It just doesn't make sense. It shows a lack of ethic and it's hard to believe these people sincerely want equality.

Read on Malcolm X and his philosophy towards segregation of cultures and black culture.
I feel like the impact of Malcolm X was stunted when compared to that of Dr. Martin Luther King because of his 'me against the world' mentality.
Jacque De Molay

I feel like the impact of Malcolm X was stunted when compared to that of Dr. Martin Luther King because of his 'me against the world' mentality.

I think they both had a lot of valid points and philosophies.
What do you mean when you say you feel that his impact was stunted?

Hilarious Prophet

Microwavable Marshmallow
Jacque De Molay

I think they both had a lot of valid points and philosophies.
What do you mean when you say you feel that his impact was stunted?
He was considered dangerous and the larger threat. Martin Luther King didn't alienate himself either.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Microwavable Marshmallow

Yes, well, if Malcolm X is your inspiration, then we're pretty much done here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff