Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Friend

actually though i don't really care if there's a black people site

i think it's stupid but i also think relationships in general are stupid

besides, i can kinda see how a black person would have trouble on maybe a regular site and also if you're into dark skin then this makes it easy to filter. etc

as long as you aren't going on about how whites are always privileged and blacks can't be racist but you genuinely need a site because the others are filled with retards then that's perfectly okay

Sexy Comrade

14,040 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
I don't see a problem with specific dating sites o^o It's not like anyone's forced to go there...
A friend of mine once got an account on an Amish dating site though lol She was banned for talking about Goats way too much.

Unholy Glitch

14,650 Points
  • Alchemy Level 5 100
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Abomination 100
Here I thought black people meeting would be something a long the lines of "What up my *****"
in the streets, who knew that they could actually form words besides that of a street urchin. Times have changed. It makes me wonder, what would a "***** Moment" look like online? Probably a bunch of caps?

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
low iq 111
Booty Tickle
black_wing_angel
Booty Tickle
Why does everyone hate it so much? If your argument is there is no WhitePeopleMeet.com stfu because you could make one instead of whining.

I think it's just stupid. There's no need for a dating site that caters only to black people, when you can filter other dating sites' results by race, yourself. Also, it's little more than a troll-magnet.

As for the "you can go make one of your own!" Sure. But THAT one wouldn't fly. People would attack it for being "racist", just the same as we are attacking this one for the same thing.
Probably because white people are the majority in the U.S, and It's around basically the for the same reasons we have specific colleges, they have FarmersMeet.Com and ChristianMingle.com ....

so? i thought race was just a social construct?
I'm just giving reason why, I see no reason why no one couldn't create a whitepeoplemeet.

Familiar Friend

Booty Tickle
low iq 111
Booty Tickle
black_wing_angel
Booty Tickle
Why does everyone hate it so much? If your argument is there is no WhitePeopleMeet.com stfu because you could make one instead of whining.

I think it's just stupid. There's no need for a dating site that caters only to black people, when you can filter other dating sites' results by race, yourself. Also, it's little more than a troll-magnet.

As for the "you can go make one of your own!" Sure. But THAT one wouldn't fly. People would attack it for being "racist", just the same as we are attacking this one for the same thing.
Probably because white people are the majority in the U.S, and It's around basically the for the same reasons we have specific colleges, they have FarmersMeet.Com and ChristianMingle.com ....

so? i thought race was just a social construct?
I'm just giving reason why, I see no reason why no one couldn't create a whitepeoplemeet.

fair enough then
Yoshpet
Microwavable Marshmallow
I personally don't believe I am consciously discriminatory towards any race, however I might be without noticing it because I live in a culture where there are levels of privilege.

People are into certain things,
as in some people find different races attractive.

They create these communities because they feel and mostly are excluded from the rest of society. Honestly, who cares? I can sit here and be bummed out that I'm not included in a community for minorities, but as long as they don't hate me because I'm white I don't care. I'm sure they feel bummed when they feel excluded in just about everything else.

If you're discriminating against other races without knowing it, it's not because you're privileged, it's because you're oblivious to the consequences of your own actions. Simply saying "privilege" does not explain anything other than racial tension exists and that races "in the majority" often have better opportunities/circumstances. It does not mean you're emitting a racist aura which manifests as discrimination without your conscious thought.

You can be bummed about being excluded because that's racism and that's what you're supposedly against. Why abide racism against your own race? You think that will even the scales? It doesn't, it just perpetuates a double standard and those never lead to progress. Racial minorities are not "excluded from everything else" and you have no way of substantiating that. Discrimination happens, of course, but those must be examined case-by-case. You cannot make blanket statements like "all racial minorities are excluded from everything in the US." Even you know that isn't true.

Of course they aren't discriminated against everything..
Let me put it this way,
If someone has more rights than another person. If complete equality doesn't exist for two groups, there are only 3 ways to achieve equality.
I'll use women (which represents minorities in this example) and men (who represent majority)
Either men can give up some of their rights and bring themselves to the level of women (Let's use equal pay as a way to further this example). So men can accept lower pay to have it equal to the woman's pay.
Or, a woman can get higher pay to make it even to a man's
or, they meet somewhere in the middle.

Either way, it is a relative loss for the majority group. That's why it's so difficult for equality to come around, because either way the majority group has a relative loss, in a sense.

So by feeling excluded from this small group, I don't think it's an issue personally. They want to form a community based on their race because maybe they can relate to issues with each other. I wouldn't personally join ____singles.com for anything, but who knows. Who cares? In not minding people from joining communities, I don't feel threatened. It doesn't have much to do with me.
Also keeping people from forming these groups when they feel bound to certain aspects of their life which are harmless to people, such as their race or orientation or religion, it would ignoring a lot of what makes that person feel like a person and that deserves it's own attention and respect.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Microwavable Marshmallow
Of course they aren't discriminated against everything..
Let me put it this way,
If someone has more rights than another person. If complete equality doesn't exist for two groups, there are only 3 ways to achieve equality.
I'll use women (which represents minorities in this example) and men (who represent majority)
Either men can give up some of their rights and bring themselves to the level of women (Let's use equal pay as a way to further this example). So men can accept lower pay to have it equal to the woman's pay.
Or, a woman can get higher pay to make it even to a man's
or, they meet somewhere in the middle.

Either way, it is a relative loss for the majority group. That's why it's so difficult for equality to come around, because either way the majority group has a relative loss, in a sense.

So by feeling excluded from this small group, I don't think it's an issue personally. They want to form a community based on their race because maybe they can relate to issues with each other. I wouldn't personally join ____singles.com for anything, but who knows. Who cares? In not minding people from joining communities, I don't feel threatened. It doesn't have much to do with me.
Also keeping people from forming these groups when they feel bound to certain aspects of their life which are harmless to people, such as their race or orientation or religion, it would ignoring a lot of what makes that person feel like a person and that deserves it's own attention and respect.

I agree with your analogy, in part. It makes sense to elevate the pay of a woman to meet that of a man for the exact same job. It doesn't make sense to lower a man's pay, because what will be done with the extra wages? More bonuses for the executives? And I don't know what the "compromise" option is as far as wage discrepency. They solve the problem but only partially?

I think these options apply to the Blackpeoplemeet.com situation as well. When black people don't want to be excluded from "white groups" such as a country club, they are right in their complaint. Why should they be excluded on the basis of race? Allowing them entry is option A and it makes sense. The other option would be to disband such organizations and disallow their creation. This is no fun for anyone and makes no sense. The "compromise" option is to create mutually exclusive clubs, one for whites only, one for blacks only. This will satisfy some but reeks of unnecessary segregation and separatist mentality. It is not progressive.

But what is actually happening is this: White people cannot have their own exclusive dating pool. Whitepeoplemeet.com doesn't exist because it would be deemed racist and torn down by people of all races. Blackpeoplemeet.com does exist and it precludes white members (maybe not literally, but in spirit) or any other race. Why is that not racist? Because they are a minority group? They are still discriminating on membership based on race. This is what we call a double standard and everyone knows those don't fly. They lack principle, their very existence is ironic and it is not progressive.

All dating sites should involve people of all races. If people are really that picky, themselves, they can be selective about who they reply to. (They already do.) Why create racially exclusive clubs when that's not okay for certain races? It just doesn't make sense. It shows a lack of ethic and it's hard to believe these people sincerely want equality.

Enduring Streaker

4,700 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
id rather date someone my own color (im not saying what color i am, because i'd be racist if i did lolol....)

but really? I don't see any problem with a black dating site
what about those weird white people who actually PREFER to date blacks over whites? xp

Aged Entrepreneur

9,450 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Wall Street 200

I don't think it's racist to want to date within your race. Just means your tolerance for open-minded, liberal relationships is lower then some. No biggie honestly.

silverbird6

what about those weird white people who actually PREFER to date blacks over whites? xp

*curious eyebrow raise*
I'm sorry, correct me if I'm wrong but...

....from the impression I got of this sentence, you make it seem as if another race has to be weird, in order to date someone of color?

Enduring Streaker

4,700 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
R o b o M a n t i x

I don't think it's racist to want to date within your race. Just means your tolerance for open-minded, liberal relationships is lower then some. No biggie honestly.

silverbird6

*curious eyebrow raise*
I'm sorry, correct me if I'm wrong but...

....from the impression I got of this sentence, you make it seem as if another race has to be weird, in order to date someone of color?

i said prefer
as in
a white woman likes dating black men, more than she does white men
theres nothing wrong with a white woman dating a black man, but if a white woman inherently wants to date a black man more than a white man, regardless of who she knows yet, then she's being racist to her own race, which is weird lol
but some people are like that =P "black love" or whatever idk xD don't ask me I'm not like that anyways haha

Aged Entrepreneur

9,450 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Wall Street 200
silverbird6

i said prefer
as in
theres nothing wrong with a white woman dating a black man, but if a white woman inherently wants to date a black man more than a white man, regardless of who she knows yet, then she's being racist to her own race, which is weird lol
but some people are like that =P "black love" or whatever idk xD don't ask me I'm not like that anyways haha

I see what you mean. I don't necessarily think that means she's being 'racist against her own race' if a woman wants to indulge in relationships with a difference race more than her own; it's all about preference.

But I suppose to each their own.

Enduring Streaker

4,700 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
R o b o M a n t i x
silverbird6

i said prefer
as in

I see what you mean. I don't necessarily think that means she's being 'racist against her own race' if a woman wants to indulge in relationships with a difference race more than her own; it's all about preference.

But I suppose to each their own.

i didn't mean that to be racist haha >.<
im trying not to provoke people even though my own opinion is rather offensive...

Aged Entrepreneur

9,450 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Wall Street 200
silverbird6

...Whaa-?

Haha, dude, don't worry about it. It may provoke others, but you're not provoking me in the slightest. It takes a lot for s**t to get to me ahaha. I was just curious is all. Don't worry about it, we're good.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Viinturuth
I don't see a problem with specific dating sites o^o It's not like anyone's forced to go there...
A friend of mine once got an account on an Amish dating site though lol She was banned for talking about Goats way too much.
Goats doe? lawl.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
silverbird6
id rather date someone my own color (im not saying what color i am, because i'd be racist if i did lolol....)

but really? I don't see any problem with a black dating site
They're not weird for having a certain preference

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces