eiji_panda13
silverbird6
nooo it shouldn't be celebrated D=
what a racist holiday >w<
reverse-racism and stuff...

[depressed]
how come my race doesnt get a 'history month'? q.q

I'm 100% positive that you're an idiot.

Like seriously you don't understand what racism is and reverse racism doesn't exist.
1. Racism: system of oppression that takes away rights and opportunities from a race that is deemed inferior

2. Last time I checked, African Americans weren't taking rights and opportunities from white people, since you know, we don't have the means to do that. That would require us actually being treated like humans and acknowledged.

3. You don't need a ******** month you have all 12 months

4. I also like how you're only mad about black history month. Excuse me, but there's a Hispanic Heritage month, Asian History month, Irish history month, the list goes on.

Clearly you just don't like black people

1. Racism: "1:a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2:racial prejudice or discrimination"
Your definition is s**t, it entirely leaves out prejudice and discrimination, ie: if some white person hates a black persons guts because they're black, they aren't racist by your incompetent definition, because it doesn't take away rights or opportunities of said black person.

2. What about the right to an equal work environment? equality? yeah, minorities get hired all the time over white people just because they need to meet a 'quota' of minorities set by government legislature, doesn't matter if you're better for the job, a minority gets your slot anyways if that's what they need.

3. Since when was every year deemed "white history year"? you dont hear about history specific to whites, just because they're white, that'd be stupid, but thats exactly what "black history month" is.

4. Thread is about black history month, and frankly, black history month is all you ever hear about in schools; teachers go over black history in English/History class and never ever mention irish or asian or any other history month. Yes reverse racism applies to all "insert-race/ethnicity-here history month" but its not a problem for any other race because it isn't boasted about in public school systems. Is it reverse racist because my teacher never gave me an assignment over irish or asian history during their respective "history-months"? No, but it's reverse-racist that they gave me assignments about black history during black history month.

1. You have the wrong definition. My definition is correct. Also we are discussing racism not prejudice.

2. How did we get on the subject of equal work?

3. There doesn't have to be a declaration of white history year. Look at any history text book for any grade level. You always learn about the accomplishments of white men like George Washington and Lewis and Clark, and so on and so on. All history focuses on white men.

4. This topic is about black history month. But the premise behind the discussion is whether or not we shouldn't celebrate the history of a specific ethnicity for an entire month. And black history month is the most widely known because IDK the significance of slavery and then the emancipation of slaves, and its the longest celebrated tradition of having a month to learn about the accomplishments of minorities.

5. And like i said reverse racism doesn't exist.

1. my definition is from a dictionary, so go b***h at merriam-webster, or ******** off...

2. we're on the subject of discrimination and equal rights, having an equal-work enviroment is enforced via law, even though the tax-benefits, or whichever requirements, of having minorities in a workplace is reverse-racist, giving minorities more benefit than non-minorities.

3. most people are white, so most history is white, this has already been discussed further back in the thread.
plus, i doubt anybody bothered keeping records of minorities, especially slaves; besides, what history can a slave make? fastest cotton-picker of all time?

4. what about a women history month? is there even one of those? celebrating how women gained voting rights, and equal rights as men? it's just like black-rights after slavery was abolished, they still had to fight for years to gain equal rights and vote.

5. you can say whatever you want, if you cant disprove my evidence that it DOES exist than your opinion doesn't mean s**t

Enduring Streaker

4,700 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Mad Santa Claus
silverbird6

[depressed]
What ignorance you show.

Black history is about the African diaspora. Everyday is really black history in the same way everyday is Italian, Jewish, German, Spanish, etc. history.

if every day is _____ history day then why the hell is there a month-long 'holiday' for it?
to attract unneeded attention towards stuff everyone already knows from elementary education?
yes black people have equal rights that they fought for and won over, just like other groups that have been discriminated against, done rubbing it in every non-minority's face yet?
It's an arrogant holiday that I wouldn't celebrate even if I were black
but I'm not, so I have no reason to celebrate it to begin with

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
silverbird6
Mad Santa Claus
silverbird6

[depressed]
What ignorance you show.

Black history is about the African diaspora. Everyday is really black history in the same way everyday is Italian, Jewish, German, Spanish, etc. history.

if every day is _____ history day then why the hell is there a month-long 'holiday' for it?
to attract unneeded attention towards stuff everyone already knows from elementary education?
yes black people have equal rights that they fought for and won over, just like other groups that have been discriminated against, done rubbing it in every non-minority's face yet?
It's an arrogant holiday that I wouldn't celebrate even if I were black
but I'm not, so I have no reason to celebrate it to begin with

>learning about the accomplishments of an ignored minority
>arrogance

Bro do you even history? So I suppose learning about George Washington and Andrew Jackson and Lewis and Clark multiple times from elementary school onward is "arrogance" of the white race to? Or are white people exempt for that sort of thing? They just the neutral default?

By the way, the fact you've only learned about 5 whole black folks ever is the fault of your educational system not the depth of Black achievement. I'd say the same for any minority race, and women as well. Get less shallow education not more narrow.

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
silverbird6
eiji_panda13
silverbird6
eiji_panda13
silverbird6
[depressed]

Like seriously you don't understand what racism is and reverse racism doesn't exist.
1. Racism: system of oppression that takes away rights and opportunities from a race that is deemed inferior
2. Last time I checked, African Americans weren't taking rights and opportunities from white people, since you know, we don't have the means to do that. That would require us actually being treated like humans and acknowledged.
4. I also like how you're only mad about black history month. Excuse me, but there's a Hispanic Heritage month, Asian History month, Irish history month, the list goes on.

1. Racism: "1:a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2:racial prejudice or discrimination"
Your definition is s**t, it entirely leaves out prejudice and discrimination, ie: if some white person hates a black persons guts because they're black, they aren't racist by your incompetent definition, because it doesn't take away rights or opportunities of said black person.
2. What about the right to an equal work environment? equality? yeah, minorities get hired all the time over white people just because they need to meet a 'quota' of minorities set by government legislature, doesn't matter if you're better for the job, a minority gets your slot anyways if that's what they need.
3. Since when was every year deemed "white history year"? you dont hear about history specific to whites, just because they're white, that'd be stupid, but thats exactly what "black history month" is.
4. Thread is about black history month, and frankly, black history month is all you ever hear about in schools; teachers go over black history in English/History class and never ever mention irish or asian or any other history month. Yes reverse racism applies to all "insert-race/ethnicity-here history month" but its not a problem for any other race because it isn't boasted about in public school systems. Is it reverse racist because my teacher never gave me an assignment over irish or asian history during their respective "history-months"? No, but it's reverse-racist that they gave me assignments about black history during black history month.

1. You have the wrong definition. My definition is correct. Also we are discussing racism not prejudice.
3. There doesn't have to be a declaration of white history year. Look at any history text book for any grade level. You always learn about the accomplishments of white men like George Washington and Lewis and Clark, and so on and so on. All history focuses on white men.
4. This topic is about black history month. But the premise behind the discussion is whether or not we shouldn't celebrate the history of a specific ethnicity for an entire month. And black history month is the most widely known because IDK the significance of slavery and then the emancipation of slaves, and its the longest celebrated tradition of having a month to learn about the accomplishments of minorities.

1. my definition is from a dictionary, so go b***h at merriam-webster, or ******** off...
2. we're on the subject of discrimination and equal rights, having an equal-work enviroment is enforced via law, even though the tax-benefits, or whichever requirements, of having minorities in a workplace is reverse-racist, giving minorities more benefit than non-minorities.
3. most people are white, so most history is white, this has already been discussed further back in the thread.
plus, i doubt anybody bothered keeping records of minorities, especially slaves; besides, what history can a slave make? fastest cotton-picker of all time?
4. what about a women history month? is there even one of those? celebrating how women gained voting rights, and equal rights as men? it's just like black-rights after slavery was abolished, they still had to fight for years to gain equal rights and vote.
5. you can say whatever you want, if you cant disprove my evidence that it DOES exist than your opinion doesn't mean s**t

1. Yeah and you'd consult a dictionary for a legal definition too wouldn't you? Instead of a legal one? Context matters bro, but even assuming your definition is correct it doesn't address the institutional bias against minorities of all types.

2. There are no quotas . Repeat it until it goes through your head, but in the private sector, and in education, and in the public sector, there ARE no quotas. There are no "black" seats, there is no magic number. The only time quotas were able to be enforced at ALL in the history of America was when there was proven demonstrable discrimination against a minority group. Something that hasn't been in place or done for over 20 years now. Get with this century broseph.

3. No most people in the world are NOT white. Whites are a global minority. Oh? You mean in America? Yes the majority of people NOW are white(though that is decreasing), but the farther back in American history you go, the larger the number of minorities. In the south, Blacks outnumbered whites for a fairly long time. And Native Americans outnumbered everyone else before we killed them off in offensive enormous measures. The still doesn't explain the fact a very large number of prominent black men and women(and white women) are ignored though. Right after the Civil War there were a large number of black men in Congress. There had been free black abolitionists, and going forward from the Civil War there is MUCH black history to tell. Seriously there's no excuse for it to be totally whitewashed. Not when we bought like 1/3 of the country from the Hispanic population of Mexico, not when the entire country WAS filled with Native Americans. NOT when there have been several influxes of immigration from Asian countries.

4. There IS a woman's history month. It's in March. Same as Irish-American history month. Do you people actually look anything up ever or?

5. You haven't even really DEFINED reverse racism, so how is she supposed to prove something without a definition false? Above and beyond that, "reverse" racism isn't discrimination against whites(which doesn't exist on an institutional level by and by) that's just racism-well prejudice really. Other than that, the only OTHER common thing I hear is treating some minority extra nice to "avoid" being racist. Which is just positive discrimination, which like positive stereotyping, is just racism too. Sooo what's your definition again?

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Two quick questions, probably already answered but bite me, I'm bored:
1) Are they still African Americans in Canada and the UK?
2) When did Morgan Freeman become King of the Negroes exactly? Used to be Jesse Jackson but apparently now it's Morgan. I'm ******** confused.

silverbird6
eiji_panda13
silverbird6
eiji_panda13
silverbird6

[depressed]

1.) Yes, you got your definition from a dictionary. That doesn't make it credible. Text speak and slang terms are being added to the dictionary these days. I mean, jiggy is in the dictionary.

2. Didn't you tell me in your last post, that I was off topic for talking about other ethnicities and the months dedicated to learning about their culture? And no matter how you try to slice it, reverse racism doesn't exist.

Employers being required to hire minority candidates isn't an example of reverse racism. It's a method being used to combat workplace discrimination against minorities and give them back opportunities that were wrongfully taken from them by discrimination and racism.

Several studies have been conducted and show that minorities are less likely to be hired by employers even if they are equally or more qualified than white candidates because of racial discrimination. And other studies show that white candidates with a felony record are just as likely or more likely to get hired compared to black candidates with no record. who are highly qualified. So yeah, you're still wrong

http://www.raceandhistory.com/cgi-bin/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/1177
http://www.dmiblog.com/archives/2007/09/white_convicts_as_likely_to_be.html

3. Really. So no one else matters in the world because there are just so many white people who are way more important. Also who the ******** are you to make fun of slaves? There were many slaves who made significant contributions and should be remembered. Maybe you should educate yourself before opening your mouth.

And on a side note, white people haven't even been around for that long. There were many other great civilizations around inventing things and making large contributions to the development of the world way before white people came along and did anything significant. Not to mention some of the most "significant" contributions that white people have made aren't even that significant. Like Christopher Columbus "discovering" America. You can't discover a place that's already inhabited by people.

4. There are a lot of things that I wish we celebrated more openly, such as a women's history, LGBTQA history, and Immigrant history. I wish we have months dedicated to learning about those contributions and many more. I don't even know how bringing that up strengthens your argument. Firstly, there is nothing in my previous post to indicate that I am opposed to celebrating women's history month or that it isn't just as important to me for there to be a month dedicated to learning about the important contributions of women. But I'm positive that if there was a women's history month, we'd learn mostly about white women and not minorities.

So you can take your ignorant a** somewhere else.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
AsuraSyn

Two quick questions, probably already answered but bite me, I'm bored:
1) Are they still African Americans in Canada and the UK?
2) When did Morgan Freeman become King of the Negroes exactly? Used to be Jesse Jackson but apparently now it's Morgan. I'm ******** confused.

1. No, not really, but I've had different reactions to calling someone "African American" and "Black". So I'm not really sure of the PC term here to use.
2. The same day Ricky Gervais became King of the Atheists, and Neil Patrick Harris became King of the Whites.

Enduring Streaker

4,700 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
eiji_panda13

So you can take your ignorant a** somewhere else.

I already have, but since you keep liking to beat around the bush...
actually nevermind, if i were to rant more i'd be no better than....well, you
happy "ooh look at what blacks can do" month!
HMS Thunder Child
Ontological Empiricism
HMS Thunder Child
[Annoyed]

The rest of the year is designated to white, male history.

I'm glad you're annoyed sweetie. That really puts a puff in my petticoat, but why not actually contribute to the discussion at hand?

Why are no other months dedicated to other races in history?
[Snide]

Don't flatter yourself. The tone markers are for reader convenience.

[Informative]

What do you suppose you are learning the rest of the time? If you are studying history and it excludes all perspectives except for straight, cis, white males, then it is straight, cis, white male history. Asking for a designated month is a bit much considering history classes generally exclude minority perspectives unless the course is geared towards them.

That might be because early US history was basically about Europeans. You won't hear about homosexuals, transsexuals, multicultural diversity, and all that good stuff until this generation is dead and the newer generations are reading history books.
silverbird6

Your definition insists that one either carry prejudice mentally or act based upon a racial prejudice. But where is the the anti white prejudice behind black history month? If the message your white institutions are making is that you were inferior because of black history month, why would they give you all 11-12 months of the year to talk about a white (albeit very watered down version of) history? So you think white people getting the entire year isn't racist but blacks making 1/12th of the step of equality is reverse racism? Many would call it a very small step towards equality if not anti black prejudice. the underlying message of condensing black history to a month is that blacks didn't contribute anything that was meaningful enough to cover outside of a month of history on peanut butter. You yourself imply this when you ask later what a slave can do. You actually believe the anti black messages implied by the isolation.

Quote:

Clearly you haven't been keeping up with black unemployment statistics. If what you're saying is true, why aren't blacks far more likely to be unemployed than whites. Where you are now in terms of unemployment is where we usually are when times are "good" for the average white person. I won't deny that blacks often undermine your on superficial level. But in reality it's actually white America undermining it's own wage. When white America allows itself to be sold on the "innately criminal black" nonsense, it allows institutions to profile band arrest blacks on non violent drug offenses you are actually more likely to commit. That war on drugs? It was abut getting black men back in jail and they're reaching it at pre Civil War levels. That undermines your wage because they then lease the convicts out for slave wages/no wages, making immense profit while not having to pay anyone for the work. All they have to do is keep up the jail--the slave quarters. Convict leasing has been a practice that was done immediately after slavery to re enslave blacks and specifically for that purpose.

Quote:

This is suggesting that the contributions of black people whether it was through the abolition of slavery or acquiring civil liberties, were only important to the black community and carried no impact anywhere else. People fought to end slavery because slavery undermined the white wage and it was immoral. Blacks also were essential to winning the civil war. Civil rights was an issue also tied to the Cold War, as it threatened the global image of capitalism and those demanding equality revealed a weakness in the structure of capitalism. If you simply look at blacks as people and not an isolated vacuum, the history contains valuable and applicable lessons we can apply today. This goes especially about capitalism.

Quote:
4. Thread is about black history month, and frankly, black history month is all you ever hear about in schools; teachers go over black history in English/History class and never ever mention irish or asian or any other history month. Yes reverse racism applies to all "insert-race/ethnicity-here history month" but its not a problem for any other race because it isn't boasted about in public school systems. Is it reverse racist because my teacher never gave me an assignment over irish or asian history during their respective "history-months"? No, but it's reverse-racist that they gave me assignments about black history during black history month

I don't understand the implication that because some groups have even less, that makes it right for blacks to have no representation in history lessons at all. Why not integrate the cultural history of more groups throughout the year instead of suggesting the presence of black history?

Quote:

Be weary of dictionaries and look more towards the logic of rhetoric. After all, in the past rape was defined in a way where men could force their wives to have sex.

Quote:

An equal work environment is not enforced by law. Black men with no criminal history are much more likely not to get a job than say, a white felon with the same educational background. Our parents have to choose between giving our children black names and knowing they'll often be denied by employers before they get in the door for an interview. Do yours?

Quote:

Ironically, many "white" people today were no-- not treated as whites. It honestly doesn't matter what you think "most" people are in your own country. If you live in the US you need to know pervasive cultural norms and histories of many regions throughout the world. So that, when your leaders try to do something in your name you can make an informed decision about it.You don't get to claim being a melting pot and all that built in diversity being the basis for your leading the "free world" while simultaneously only caring about white America.

Quote:

First of all, why do you isolate black history to slavery? Second why do you assume all blacks in the US were slaves? Third, blacks have played an instrumental role in the history of capitalism in the U.S and by extension the Cold War and the Civil War. Slaves also could...rebel. Which they did.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff